Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

AlexDougherty's Avatar


AlexDougherty
12.20.2013 , 09:47 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
The thing should be emphasized a bit more in SW is Dark Side =/= Evil and Light Side =/= Good.
Well, the Lightside isn't equal to Good, I agree with that.
But the Darkside kind of is equal to Evil, it corrupts and in doing so destroys the person's perspective, so they over-react to things, It also obliterates their self-control, especially the further along the path of the Darkside you go. The combination of these two factors means that Darksiders end up committing acts of Evil, they don't mean too, and a few exceptions occur who have some control over themselves, but on the whole Darkside = Evil
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
12.20.2013 , 09:49 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Well, the Lightside isn't equal to Good, I agree with that.
But the Darkside kind of is equal to Evil, it corrupts and in doing so destroys the person's perspective, so they over-react to things, It also obliterates their self-control, especially the further along the path of the Darkside you go. The combination of these two factors means that Darksiders end up committing acts of Evil, they don't mean too, and a few exceptions occur who have some control over themselves, but on the whole Darkside = Evil
What is good? What is evil? Ask 10 people, you get 10 answers. Good and evil are all relative.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

Fanyen's Avatar


Fanyen
12.20.2013 , 01:09 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
The light side, per se, doesn't have many rules, but it is restricting. Yoda says you will know the difference when Luke remains calm, passive. And that's basically what the "central tenet" of the Jedi code "There is no passion..." which Bioware quotes pretty often (even though it originates from very remote canon, a pen and paper rulebook) elaborates. You don't need to obey the Jedi Council to be light side, you must do what is "right", reflecting calmly to find out what that is.

Whether you say that the dark side is more seductive in that it is the quick and easy path (not necessarily to power), or that the light side is too restrictive is basically the same thing backward and forward.
Actually, you do need to obey the Jedi Council in order to be considered light side.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi states it plainly.

Specifically the part where it says:
However, between the beginning of the Great Sith War in 4000 BBY and the end of the Dark Wars in 3951 BBY, the Jedi went from the height of their power to a mere remnant of their existence. As war repeatedly spread across the galaxy, some Jedi came to believe that a strong central authority was necessary. The Council, including such members as Vrook Lamar and Atris, revised the Jedi Code in order to consolidate their control over the Jedi Order and institute stricter standards on the conduct of its members. Despite the Council's actions, not all Jedi adhered to the revised Code. Some objected to several of the new strictures, such as those that barred the training of any Jedi hopeful over the age of four, that prevented Jedi from having families, and that restricted the use of Force abilities associated with the dark side. These individuals frequently clashed with the Jedi Council, and were known as Gray Jedi to the Jedi[6] and the Sith.
My referral link has been removed, because Bioware is inept.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.20.2013 , 01:54 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...
But because the path of the light is a long and difificult one, many Jedi never achieve their full potential.

Most of the most powerful Force users are Sith. Who are the exceptions? Yoda who had 900 years to reach the pinnacle of his power and Luke Skywalker who had the potential of the Chosen One.

Regardless not everyone believes the dark side to be less powerful, and Sidious himself didn't believe in light and dark - to him we was just achieving full mastery over the Force while the Jedi wallowed in fear and ignorance.

There are also many things that Sith can do that Jedi cannot.
Quote: Originally Posted by Fanyen View Post
See, I don't agree with that.

I think a lot of people who choose the dark side do it because it offers less restrictions. Less rules saying what you can and can't do. I don't think most do it just because it's the "easy" way to power. I think that's just a huge side benefit for many.
Think about how one might interpret it though. Jedi will say its the quick path to power, the Sith will say it just shows the dark side to be more powerful. They may look at the power of the dark side, how easily it can be attained and assume that the Jedi are restricting them.

Remember these are in-universe characters, they do not have access to Wookieepedia.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.20.2013 , 01:54 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Don't the Jedi brandish that power to fight back the Sith? Same exact thing.
Yet they always do so in reserved ways. Simple telekinetics etc.

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
12.20.2013 , 03:12 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
What is good? What is evil? Ask 10 people, you get 10 answers. Good and evil are all relative.
Just because there isn't a consensus doesn't mean there's no right answer to something.

Ask 10 people what the age of the Earth is and you may get 10 answers, if that happens it doesn't mean there's no true answer to the question, it just means at least 9 people you asked are wrong.

If you're going to advocate moral relativism, you better base it on something a bit more substantial than "people disagree about it."
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.20.2013 , 03:19 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Just because there isn't a consensus doesn't mean there's no right answer to something.

Ask 10 people what the age of the Earth is and you may get 10 answers, if that happens it doesn't mean there's no true answer to the question, it just means at least 9 people you asked are wrong.

If you're going to advocate moral relativism, you better base it on something a bit more substantial than "people disagree about it."
Good and evil are immaterial and completely subjective concepts. The fact that nobody can give a clear definition of this terms that everyone can logically agree on demonstrates this. So I think his point is valid.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
12.20.2013 , 03:35 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
Is that so?

"...to become the most powerful Jedi, and the only way you can really do that is to go to the Dark side because the Dark side is more powerful. If you want the ultimate power you really have to go to the stronger side, which is the Dark side..." - George Lucas [AOTC commentary]
OK consider me corrected .

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.20.2013 , 03:45 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Fanyen View Post
Actually, you do need to obey the Jedi Council in order to be considered light side.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi states it plainly.
And once again Jedi arrogance rears its ugly head.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
12.20.2013 , 03:58 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
And once again Old Republic Jedi arrogance rears its ugly head.
Fixed.
Added Chapter 65 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus