Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

Nydus
02.12.2014 , 10:04 AM | #381
Because good is dumb .
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

CaptainApop
02.12.2014 , 10:30 AM | #382
I know this threads old as balls now but is it worth mentioning dramatic irony?

We as the audience might have this all knowing Georgian view that both sides of the force are equally powerful and Yoda might have similar thoughts on the matter but the characters we observe do not necessarily share this view.

I'm sure the emperor is quite confident in the power of the darkside what with the immortality and all.
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

LanceCorporalDan
02.12.2014 , 02:58 PM | #383
Darkside = freedom
Neves - 55 Vanguard
Dahkaras - 55 AssassinKeelaran - 55Juggernaut
Kalkaran - 55 MercenaryKallim - 55 Operative

kirorx
02.15.2014 , 02:22 AM | #384
Lightside force users have a Harmonus relationship with the force and allow the force to dictate and control a lot of the world they live in.

Darksiders view the force as something to be harnessed and controlled. They pervert and manipulate the force as a tool for power.

So while they could essentially have the same power, they have different approaches

Darksiders feel that lightsiders allow themselves to be slaves to the force
Lightsiders feel Darkside manipilation of the force is unnatural

Spetulhu
02.15.2014 , 06:57 PM | #385
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
Darksiders feel that lightsiders allow themselves to be slaves to the force
Lightsiders feel Darkside manipilation of the force is unnatural
Not to mention Lightsiders also think of the others as slaves, only slaves to the Dark Side. "Forever will it dominate your destiny" and all that.

FatEmmaWatson
02.15.2014 , 08:24 PM | #386
I feel like they made the mistake of trying to create a game where both sides had justifiable motives in a universe intentionally designed to have a clear distinction between good and evil. It comes off as dark side just being irrationally and counter-productively evil

Ashu-ri
02.16.2014 , 01:30 AM | #387
For me, it's not about power - it's about....well, my first character was a JC, and I played her lily-white light. Pretty much her only dark points came in conversations with Zenith, because she lusted after him. And I got burned out on her. I switched to the dark side for a while, and had a blast. I like playing both ways - frankly, dark side conversations are more fun, and you don't seem like such an a** when you choose a snarky reply. And darker conversations, for me, are more fun, lol. I have characters on both sides, and after, um several, several months away from the game, am planning on getting back into it, and slowly playing around and getting characters of each type at least to the end of the class quests (so 50 area), because I've only done JC, Trooper, Bounty Hunter, Agent, Inquisitor, and SW to max level (at the time). I want to experience all the quest lines, see how the others overlap, since they all do, and even the companions overlap, or the companions of one overlap with the missions of another class. And classes I've maxed, I want to play through again, this time as that opposite gender. Not only to refresh myself with the story line, since it's been so long since most of toons hit the original level cap and I can't remember some of it, but I want to see what the opposite gender romance is like.

drakensang
02.16.2014 , 05:42 AM | #388
Quote: Originally Posted by FatEmmaWatson View Post
I feel like they made the mistake of trying to create a game where both sides had justifiable motives in a universe intentionally designed to have a clear distinction between good and evil. It comes off as dark side just being irrationally and counter-productively evil
Huh? So darksider acting solely for the evulz would have been more relatable?

LordGarmaZabi
02.17.2014 , 01:19 PM | #389
Quote: Originally Posted by FatEmmaWatson View Post
y
But that's absolutely boring unless your a kid watching saturday morning cartoons.
Sieg Zeon !

FatEmmaWatson
02.20.2014 , 04:10 PM | #390
Quote: Originally Posted by LordGarmaZabi View Post
y
But that's absolutely boring unless your a kid watching saturday morning cartoons.
yeah but the overall effect is that the empire and dark side are still patently one dimensional and evil so any attempt to make them more relatable, while superficially interesting, just comes off as schizophrenic if you do any kind of analysis on it. it requires a huge suspension of disbelief to think that any of the empire characters are anything other than cartoonishly and stupidly evil based on what we know about the empire and dark side, which was lucas' explicit intent (in other words, you are correct when you compare it to a Saturday morning cartoon in a certain sense because lucas is on record saying star wars' intended audience is in fact children). maybe with Disney at the helm they can reform the universe but there's a lot of groundwork that would have to be redone and the question is can you change that foundational aspect and it still be star wars. honestly they just wanted to copy wow so bad without considering what made the horde/alliance dynamic work and shoehorned in an empire/republic rivalry and the result is a ridiculous premise for most empire characters if you scrutinize their motives