Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

ShadowMudkip's Avatar


ShadowMudkip
01.18.2014 , 11:02 PM | #371
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
The modern code teaches clarity of mind and spirit. Direct yourself to the teachings of Odan-Urr, the movies, or some of the Republic comics.
I'm aware of that, Xilizhra stated that positive emotions were a light side thing (To which I agree). However the line "There is no emotion, there is peace", is a very straightforward statement. The Jedi council of the Clone Wars had determined that all emotions were bad, thus leading to Anakin having to hide his marriage and love for Padme from them. If the council had never banned positive emotions, I can assure you Darth Vader would have never existed.
JediCovenant
The Veir Legacy
Mairick-Assassin Mylius-Sorcerer
Kaidin-Mercenary

SammyGStatus's Avatar


SammyGStatus
01.20.2014 , 04:22 PM | #372
Quote: Originally Posted by sadishist View Post
since light and dark is equal in terms of power, and if the main reason people join dark side is to be more powerful, then there's no point to joining dark side.

Lore error?
force lightning!!!!!!

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.20.2014 , 04:25 PM | #373
Quote: Originally Posted by Layno_Maul View Post
1 word: LIGHTNING

Also people come here because we have bacon
Bacon? Don't tell me Darth Baras has emptied our cookie supplies again...

Shadokitty's Avatar


Shadokitty
01.23.2014 , 10:05 AM | #374
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Bacon? Don't tell me Darth Baras has emptied our cookie supplies again...
Look at the cookie crumbs on his armor.

Lexandrous's Avatar


Lexandrous
01.25.2014 , 08:45 PM | #375
I understood you at first but after reading some of the posts I was confused as to if this was a discussion of Jedi / Sith ideology.

Personally I believe that Light side Sith and Fallen Jedi are traitors to their cause as they abandoned what they once stood for.

But when it comes to Light and Dark many mistaken Fallen Jedi for Sith.

Choosing the Dark Side is not the easier path as some may think.
Because the Dark Side of the Force seeks to dominate corrupt and control those that heed its call.

The evidence can be seen (at least on a physical level) by the corruption of the dark side of the force.

Many Sith have been consumed by the own power, unable to let it go. Even in death.
So to those that say the Dark Side is easier.

I ask who is the real Master?
Is it the power they wield or the one that wields the power.

So why choose the Dark Side?
It depends on your point of view.

I have always been dark side (Sith Warrior) I hear of but never experienced what those of the Light consider virtues.
The Light is an invader. Something that disturbs my blessed solitude and an enemy to be extinguished.

I have never hidden what I was and seek new challenges Jedi or Sith.
Fallen Jedi are a disgrace because they abandoned the Light they once possessed that could challenge me and descended to the level of an acolyte with the martial prowess of a Jedi.

Safeguard the Empire and continue to test myself.
Forgiveness and mercy is something Jedi and Light side people practice.

But is giving someone another chance to betray or kill you wise?

Slorcsion's Avatar


Slorcsion
01.26.2014 , 05:47 PM | #376
Dark side. They have better story lines in the game. And lots of force lightning. And red lightsabers.
If Mace Windu/Samuel Jackson went to the Dark Side I could imagine him saying "B.A.M.Fers!" (but not abbreviated, of course).

And that is why the Dark Side is better/stronger.

/Fin

RivenDusk's Avatar


RivenDusk
01.27.2014 , 12:44 PM | #377
Freedom from pretension and hypocrisy, also the quest-givers grate on my ears significantly less in the Empire stories than they do for the Republic. However I do play both factions as Dark, so I don't let factions limit me.

Also I like the idea of a meritocracy, even one as imperfect as that which the culture of the Empire provides.

Many of the Dark choices *do* annoy me however, as many seem more arbitrary, or a puerile idea of what the Dark Side is - than being believable courses of action. For some, it seems "Dark" just likes to blow stuff up and has a bad case of ADHD.

For me, Dark Side means a sort of severe pragmatism, where individual lives and feelings don't hold one back from the the decisions that need to be made in order to bring order into the Galaxy.

As a Character (or in my case, many characters - alt-itis) I usually orient myself towards Lawful Evil.
Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

-Voltaire

Darth_Belan's Avatar


Darth_Belan
01.28.2014 , 09:52 AM | #378
Doesn't have anything to do with the Dark side being more poweful, as Yoda said it's not more powerful, just more seductive. I guess, in a way, that's why I went that route.
"Do or do not, there is no try."
Here's my referral link, new and returning players (90 days or more away) can use it. This is how we'll benefit. Plus a thank you from me through ingame mail.

Lexandrous's Avatar


Lexandrous
02.12.2014 , 08:28 AM | #379
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Belan View Post
Doesn't have anything to do with the Dark side being more poweful, as Yoda said it's not more powerful, just more seductive. I guess, in a way, that's why I went that route.
True because outcomes of fights between Jedi and Sith may just come down to one of them being stronger (or getting lucky) and not that Light or Dark of the the Force.
__________________________________________________ _____________


Few are left to extinguish the Light. That threatens to purge us all.

Lexandrous's Avatar


Lexandrous
02.12.2014 , 08:37 AM | #380
But to address the title question.

Some don't Join the dark side but have always been Dark side and raised in the knowledge of that side of the Force.

An example is that the Emperors law states that all force-users be trained as Sith or executed.
So force sensitives born in Imperial space or on Empire controlled Worlds will come to be trained in the Dark Side.

Usually when the individual comes to the Jedi does their training in the Light begin.
However they may be the "cost of admission" because Jedi don't always train every force sensitive they come across.

Why people join the Dark Side?
Simply comes down to the path that individual takes.
__________________________________________________ _____________


Few are left to extinguish the Light. That threatens to purge us all.