Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.04.2014 , 04:23 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
While this is true, it should be noted that Jedi in many ways attain greater power than Sith because it takes much longer. When they learn to truly become one with the force their fighting strength and ferocity is quite intense. As well as their knowledge of the force. So yes joining the Sith is quicker but in the long run despite it being more appealing the Jedi are in fact more powerful.
I disagree, I can't think of many Jedi who had reached the height of their power and achieved that kind of intense energy your talking about. Most Jedi simply die before that happens.

On the other side of the spectrum almost every Sith worth mentioning has explored the full scope of their power, and most of the most powerful Force Users ever are those who wielded the dark side, because you get there faster.

Really, if I wanted power, the dark side would be the first port of call. Most likely to achieve my full potential, and no restrictions on what I'm capable of doing, remembering all-powerful doesn't make you all-capable.

ShadowMudkip's Avatar


ShadowMudkip
01.04.2014 , 04:29 PM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Indeed, the OP seems to be erroneously assuming that because light and dark provide equal levels of power that somehow makes them identical. While rejecting all evidence to the contrary, wonderful!
By assuming that Light= good, and Dark=bad, you make it incredibly difficult to account for people like the Voss.
JediCovenant
The Veir Legacy
Mairick-Assassin Mylius-Sorcerer
Kaidin-Mercenary

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
01.04.2014 , 04:32 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I disagree, I can't think of many Jedi who had reached the height of their power and achieved that kind of intense energy your talking about. Most Jedi simply die before that happens.

On the other side of the spectrum almost every Sith worth mentioning has explored the full scope of their power, and most of the most powerful Force Users ever are those who wielded the dark side, because you get there faster.

Really, if I wanted power, the dark side would be the first port of call. Most likely to achieve my full potential, and no restrictions on what I'm capable of doing, remembering all-powerful doesn't make you all-capable.
I am not saying that it is easy, I am just saying that it is possible. I mean take Yoda for example. For many thousands of years he was considered the most powerful of the Jedi. A being who attained such perfection with the force that he became an unstoppable being of light. There is also Luke, who although had some dark side abilities remained true to the light side and thus went on to become as powerful as we know him to be.

I agree with you that turning to the dark side is the best course to gain power and fast but I also believe that you can still achieve said power and gain potential if you choose the light.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

ShadowMudkip's Avatar


ShadowMudkip
01.04.2014 , 04:34 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
I am not saying that it is easy, I am just saying that it is possible. I mean take Yoda for example. For many thousands of years he was considered the most powerful of the Jedi. A being who attained such perfection with the force that he became an unstoppable being of light. There is also Luke, who although had some dark side abilities remained true to the light side and thus went on to become as powerful as we know him to be.

I agree with you that turning to the dark side is the best course to gain power and fast but I also believe that you can still achieve said power and gain potential if you choose the light.
Yet, despite all that time of being a Jedi, Yoda got ROFLstomped by Sidious.
JediCovenant
The Veir Legacy
Mairick-Assassin Mylius-Sorcerer
Kaidin-Mercenary

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
01.04.2014 , 04:37 PM | #135
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowMudkip View Post
Yet, despite all that time of being a Jedi, Yoda got ROFLstomped by Sidious.
This is true sadly. Like in the Revenge of the Sith novel. Where the line goes, "That the grand master of the Jedi order just didn't have it"
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.04.2014 , 04:41 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
I am not saying that it is easy, I am just saying that it is possible. I mean take Yoda for example. For many thousands of years he was considered the most powerful of the Jedi. A being who attained such perfection with the force that he became an unstoppable being of light. There is also Luke, who although had some dark side abilities remained true to the light side and thus went on to become as powerful as we know him to be.

I agree with you that turning to the dark side is the best course to gain power and fast but I also believe that you can still achieve said power and gain potential if you choose the light.
I don't its a question of greater power though, even Luke, with all his power, would struggle to defend against the energy unleashed by the Force Storm - especially at the hands of Darth Sidious. I think they can ultimately prove a match for powerful dark siders, but I don't think they become more powerful.

Ultimately, while I'd agree that light and dark are equal in terms of raw power, I think the dark side because its so liberated and so in touch with destruction and chaos, is a greater means of exerting power over others.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.04.2014 , 04:57 PM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowMudkip View Post
Yet, despite all that time of being a Jedi, Yoda got ROFLstomped by Sidious.
Hardly, if you take the events of the film into account (which are of course relevant) then it becomes quite clear that Yoda and Sidious were nigh equally matched. Sidious was just more prepared in every sense of the word.

Girdeux's Avatar


Girdeux
01.04.2014 , 09:44 PM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Hardly, if you take the events of the film into account (which are of course relevant) then it becomes quite clear that Yoda and Sidious were nigh equally matched. Sidious was just more prepared in every sense of the word.
If you take that portion of the novel events into account then Yoda stood no chance. Though that depends if you take the novel seriously with all the inconsistencies with the ROTS movie.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.05.2014 , 05:42 AM | #139
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
If you take that portion of the novel events into account then Yoda stood no chance. Though that depends if you take the novel seriously with all the inconsistencies with the ROTS movie.
That's not taking the novel events into account, that's ignoring the events of the movie and choosing the novels interpretations. See this video. Sums up very well how the movie potrayed Yoda to be in fact winning.

So we have to reconcile the two, noting that the novel never says that Yoda is too weak, too slow, not powerful enough in the Force etc. but that he "just didn't have it." Have what? Luck? Experience? The will of the Force?

To me I feel that Sidious was just better prepared, he had been preparing to face the Jedi for years, to fight them in this exact way, whereas Yoda had been sitting around meditating, he wasn't such a practiced warrior, he wasn't very clever in combat. On top of that its implied that this was the will of the Force, his fate had already been decided.

I think there is more too it than Yoda didn't have a high enough midichlorian count.

Xilizhra's Avatar


Xilizhra
01.05.2014 , 08:18 AM | #140
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
That's not taking the novel events into account, that's ignoring the events of the movie and choosing the novels interpretations. See this video. Sums up very well how the movie potrayed Yoda to be in fact winning.

So we have to reconcile the two, noting that the novel never says that Yoda is too weak, too slow, not powerful enough in the Force etc. but that he "just didn't have it." Have what? Luck? Experience? The will of the Force?

To me I feel that Sidious was just better prepared, he had been preparing to face the Jedi for years, to fight them in this exact way, whereas Yoda had been sitting around meditating, he wasn't such a practiced warrior, he wasn't very clever in combat. On top of that its implied that this was the will of the Force, his fate had already been decided.

I think there is more too it than Yoda didn't have a high enough midichlorian count.
Regarding this video... the maker of it seems to put rather too high an emphasis on singular possible interpretations of Sidious' facial expressions. Sidious might have been trying to leave the first time, but he can't possibly have been trying to depart the battle the second time the maker claims, as there's no way it'd happen in time to actually escape Yoda, so it's clearly just taking a position of more advantageous ground. The maker also seems to ignore that Yoda being calm and Sidious angry is just them channeling their respective sides of the Force. The original script doesn't have canon status compared to what was actually shown on screen; for instance, the ANH script claimed that Han was just being a blowhard and a bad liar when he claimed that the Millennium Falcon had made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs, but because it wasn't shown well enough onscreen, it was eventually adopted as non-canon, with the Kessel run just being a space oddity where "twelve parsecs" is meaningful. And the final beam duel seems to have happened not because Yoda was stronger, as he didn't actually push the lightning away from him any; rather, Yoda just walks forward so that the energy explosion whacks both of them. But by that point, Sidious probably had the fight.