Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

stormdrakelord
01.01.2014 , 10:46 PM | #121
As far as I know, people join the Dark side because it is easy and less restrictive on morals and judgement and such.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

LanceCorporalDan
01.03.2014 , 04:47 PM | #122
I would be drawn to RP a darkside character (or at least non-lightside) due to the restrictions that are placed on those who choose to become Jedi. My characters would desire more of a sense of freedom that the Jedi order doesn't offer.

Though it really boils down to personal preference in my opinion.
Neves - 55 Vanguard
Dahkaras - 55 AssassinKeelaran - 55Juggernaut
Kalkaran - 55 MercenaryKallim - 55 Operative

LordGarmaZabi
01.04.2014 , 01:21 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Since Light and Dark is equal in terms of power, and if the main reason people join Dark Side is to be more powerful, then there's no point to joining Dark Side.

Lore error?
If both paths offer the same strength, which would you rather follow, the one that makes you a leader or a servant ?
Sieg Zeon !

Sadishist
01.04.2014 , 05:15 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by LordGarmaZabi View Post
If both paths offer the same strength, which would you rather follow, the one that makes you a leader or a servant ?
If both are equally powerful, then they are the same so neither is master and servant. Question is, why do people join dark side if they don't become more powerful?

LordGarmaZabi
01.04.2014 , 01:20 PM | #125
If both are equally powerful, then they are the same so neither is master and servant. Question is, why do people join dark side if they don't become more powerful?
They have the same strength, not the same place in society.The Jedi are guardians of the peace, and servants to the people, and suppress their desires, and emotions. The Sith, they go out, they carve out power for themselves, and act as lords to those who are beneath them, and generally live as they see fit. In this way, the dark side could easily be seen as more appealing. It has also been stated that you can accumulate power more quickly by using the dark side.
Sieg Zeon !

Beniboybling
01.04.2014 , 01:25 PM | #126
Jedi serve others, rather than rule over them, for the good of the galaxy.
--Tenet of the Jedi Order

Light siders serve the Force whereas dark siders bend the Force to their will. Sure you can become as powerful either way but if you are a practioner of the light side you will always have to limit the amount of power you can exert. Whereas if you are a dark sider you can do what you want, use the fullest extent of your abilities etc.

For example you can be the most powerful Force User in the world but if you follow the light you can't blow up planets etc. not only does your moral code prevent you but the very nature of the light side restricts you from this ability.

There are many things that followers of the light therefore cannot do, that practitioners of the dark can.

But you still haven't answered my question, if both are equally powerful, why not choose the dark side?

StarWarsTrekker
01.04.2014 , 02:38 PM | #127
It is believed the dark side is a quicker easier way to get power, and in some cases more powerful. Depending on who you are, it can be. It's also more fun than playing a warrior boyscout monk thing.

ShadowMudkip
01.04.2014 , 04:09 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Jedi serve others, rather than rule over them, for the good of the galaxy.
--Tenet of the Jedi Order

Light siders serve the Force whereas dark siders bend the Force to their will. Sure you can become as powerful either way but if you are a practioner of the light side you will always have to limit the amount of power you can exert. Whereas if you are a dark sider you can do what you want, use the fullest extent of your abilities etc.

For example you can be the most powerful Force User in the world but if you follow the light you can't blow up planets etc. not only does your moral code prevent you but the very nature of the light side restricts you from this ability.

There are many things that followers of the light therefore cannot do, that practitioners of the dark can.

But you still haven't answered my question, if both are equally powerful, why not choose the dark side?
I think people choose the dark side because there are fewer restrictions. I personally believe the light side and dark side are of equal power, however they have distinctive characteristics that set them apart. I think people choose NOT to be a Jedi, rather than the dark side. Of course this comes from someone who believes the One Force theory.
JediCovenant
The Veir Legacy
Mairick-Assassin Mylius-Sorcerer
Kaidin-Mercenary

Beniboybling
01.04.2014 , 04:11 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowMudkip View Post
I think people choose the dark side because there are fewer restrictions. I personally believe the light side and dark side are of equal power, however they have distinctive characteristics that set them apart. I think people choose NOT to be a Jedi, rather than the dark side. Of course this comes from someone who believes the One Force theory.
Indeed, the OP seems to be erroneously assuming that because light and dark provide equal levels of power that somehow makes them identical. While rejecting all evidence to the contrary, wonderful!

theUndead
01.04.2014 , 04:18 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by LordGarmaZabi View Post
They have the same strength, not the same place in society.The Jedi are guardians of the peace, and servants to the people, and suppress their desires, and emotions. The Sith, they go out, they carve out power for themselves, and act as lords to those who are beneath them, and generally live as they see fit. In this way, the dark side could easily be seen as more appealing. It has also been stated that you can accumulate power more quickly by using the dark side.
While this is true, it should be noted that Jedi in many ways attain greater power than Sith because it takes much longer. When they learn to truly become one with the force their fighting strength and ferocity is quite intense. As well as their knowledge of the force. So yes joining the Sith is quicker but in the long run despite it being more appealing the Jedi are in fact more powerful.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.