Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can Someone explain Progression Raiding to me?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Can Someone explain Progression Raiding to me?

TheSupaCoopa
12.18.2013 , 09:02 PM | #1
Duran'del here:

I've been hearing this phrase for a while now. I have 0 idea what it means. This is probably because
Spoiler
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

goobot
12.18.2013 , 09:09 PM | #2
Progression raiding, from what I understand, is a style of raiding where the raid team raids with the intent of clearing newer, advanced content at a quick pace.

Probably not the best description, as I don't do progression raiding myself. I'm sure someone else will come here and explain it better though

psandak
12.18.2013 , 09:39 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Progression raiding, from what I understand, is a style of raiding where the raid team raids with the intent of clearing newer, advanced content at a quick pace.

Probably not the best description, as I don't do progression raiding myself. I'm sure someone else will come here and explain it better though
You are close. While a quick pace is desired it is not "required." Progression raiding is the process of going through end-game content with the intent of making progress with each successive run.

Usually this means creating a consistent 8 (or 16) person team, so that new participants are not learning content that everyone else has already learned.

Anyone who participates in operations with the intent of clearing them in all modes (SM, HM, and NiM), is progression raiding.

One thing to note is that the intent to clear content does not necessarily mean the group will clear the content.

AngusFTW
12.18.2013 , 10:43 PM | #4
It is pretty much in the name. It means raiding to progress. If a guild is new to the game and they are learning the story modes or something even that is a progression raid to them.. because they are progressing through that story mode. It doesn't matter if its a story mode or a new nim mode. If its an operation that a set group hasn't done before that is progression raiding
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
55s.
Bleezar, Bleezár. Bleezlórd. Bleezard. Bleezford, Bleeznaut, Bleezfatt,
Lowbies
Bleezbian, Bleezguard, Bleezdian

vid
twitch

Falver
12.19.2013 , 12:42 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
One thing to note is that the intent to clear content does not necessarily mean the group will clear the content.
Truth. Just because a guild calls itself a "Progression Guild" doesn't mean it downs bosses.
The Harbinger
Claimed - Thirteenth - Falver
<Phobos> is recruiting to fill in multiple raid groups. Apply at http://fearphobos.com/

Lecto
12.19.2013 , 11:07 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post
Duran'del here:

I've been hearing this phrase for a while now. I have 0 idea what it means. This is probably because
Spoiler
In my Guild it just means that all the elitist basement dwellers get together and stroke each-others egos.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return". ~ Moulin Rouge
Join "Tao Covenant" today!
Twitter: @Lecto10

RikuvonDrake
12.19.2013 , 11:29 AM | #7
Pretty old post but Big Bear Butt wrote an amazing post about this earlier this year that I still feel is really valid, give it a read and I think you will get the concept =)

http://thebigbearbutt.com/2013/02/20...n-mean-to-you/
Dread Master - Deposer of The Dread Masters - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Riku - Rikacha - Rikachu - Rikachi - Rikache - Rikachacha - Rikache
Ruthless | Susannah - Fauna - Wildthorn - Krewel - Montör
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

CecilPaladin
12.19.2013 , 12:42 PM | #8
So in the SWtoR universe as of today, the general meaning of Progression Raiding is doing Dread Palace (DP) and Dread Fortress (DF) on Hardmode (HM).

People can generally do a Pick Up Group (PUG) to clear the Story Modes (SM) with out too many issues, but the HM's require a bit more coordination and a somewhat gear check. Your group for HM's need to be coordinated enough and have sufficient gear to clear that content.

The progression part is that sometimes it takes a guild weeks to clear the HM Ops. Say they can only down the first boss on the first week of raiding. Hopefully by week 2, they get to down the 2nd boss, or even 3rd boss. That is the "progression" part, being able to progress to the next harder boss.

Generally the end boss is the most difficult, and requires the most coordination. So to be able to beat the last boss of a HM Operation and to "clear" it is a big accomplishment.

This term has stemmed from various other MMO's like Everquest (EQ), World of Warcraft (WoW), etc. I personally think that the progression difficulty of SWtoR raids aren't too difficult. There have been raid bosses in WoW that my guild has spent MONTHS on trying to clear. And the celebration and joy on the Ventrillo or Teamspeak channels the second we downed some major pita boss was a pretty memorable experience. To me, that is the true definition of progression raiding.

Sydexlic
12.22.2013 , 08:58 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lecto View Post
In my Guild it just means that all the elitist basement dwellers get together and stroke each-others egos.
They didn't invite you along I take it?

As for progression raiding in TOR? First, you shouldn't fear anything. It's all easy, really easy. Any 1/2 respectable guild will clear everything in the first week. This is a direct result of game studios realising that stupid/uncoordinated people pay money to play their game too. Unfortunately, they vastly outnumber the others so all of us then get this watered down/fairy floss content that is easily digestible by anyone with a pulse. It's not particularly fun content, nor does it give much sense of accomplishment having beaten it, but what's that matter GOLD STARS FOR EVERYONE, you're all winners just for playing the game yay!

Selenial
12.22.2013 , 09:19 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AngusFTW View Post
It is pretty much in the name. It means raiding to progress. If a guild is new to the game and they are learning the story modes or something even that is a progression raid to them.. because they are progressing through that story mode. It doesn't matter if its a story mode or a new nim mode. If its an operation that a set group hasn't done before that is progression raiding
Yeh, this.
Progression Raiding isnt a term that defines the raids you'll be doing in the slightest, it could be something like EV Sm, or Scum and Villainy Nightmare. If you're in a guild, and they've got a guild site, look to see what they run, usually the hardest content on there will be their "progression group," if that's what you're referring to.

If you see it in General chat however, it's usually HM Dread Palace or Dread Fortress.
The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion. Culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from… save one.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Seeliara Sage
Force In Balance - The Harbinger