Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

Hobaginator
06.10.2014 , 08:04 PM | #381
Why does bolster lower my stats? Crit chance goes from 30% down to 20%, alacrity down from 7% to 4%, etc. What the heck causes this, why, and how do I prevent it?

Come on devs. Give us some answers for christ's sake. PvE stats and PvP have nothing in common!!! How am I supposed to figure out how to gear myself for pvp when my stats CHANGE the instant i enter a wz?

Pekish
06.10.2014 , 08:54 PM | #382
is easy to understand why

you are a lvl 55 with 100 alacrity

a lvl 30 with 100 alacrity is 10% alacrity (example)
a lvl 55 with 100 alacrity is 2% alacrity (example)

this is why green gear and purple gear wont make any difference because the gear stay the same lvl and at 55 the number of alacrity you can have with purple gear lvl 30 is insignificant and wont make any difference

so i have like 70% surge at lvl 40 with my purple gear but once i get bolsterd at 55 the same number of surge is equal to 60%

gear count very very little in the equation especially under 40 the quantity of stats u can get with purple at lower lvl is so a small number 100 crit for istance that once bolstered at 55 mean close to nothing

this is why people can safely pvp in green (gear wise) what really make the difference is the level of the ability u are using when u upgrade your ability u get bonus on the damage u apply a project lvl 3 is way different then a project lvl 5 and that doesnt get bolstered

LeglessChair
06.10.2014 , 09:12 PM | #383
Quote: Originally Posted by Pekish View Post

this is why green gear and purple gear wont make any difference because the gear stay the same lvl and at 55 the number of alacrity you can have with purple gear lvl 30 is insignificant and wont make any difference

so i have like 70% surge at lvl 40 with my purple gear but once i get bolsterd at 55 the same number of surge is equal to 60%

gear count very very little in the equation especially under 40 the quantity of stats u can get with purple at lower lvl is so a small number 100 crit for istance that once bolstered at 55 mean close to nothing

this is why people can safely pvp in green (gear wise) what really make the difference is the level of the ability u are using when u upgrade your ability u get bonus on the damage u apply a project lvl 3 is way different then a project lvl 5 and that doesnt get bolstered
*bolstered

Hobaginator
06.12.2014 , 08:18 AM | #384
Quote: Originally Posted by Pekish View Post

Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you're talking about now. I didn't think of it scaling differently at 55 than it does at a lower level. Thanks for the help.

Aetideus
06.16.2014 , 01:45 PM | #385
The bolster curve for Bonus Damage may be reached at 1500. Added 44 power at 1481 and got +6 instead of 10.
Any stat?

MaricAndrellian
06.19.2014 , 11:28 AM | #386
wow RANDLE! excellent thread. I lost power during the T-storm so instead of running dailies, i was on the forums with my ipad and i stumbled upon this thread.

Made it to page 35 before my ipad went kaput.

Ive been playing for a few months, hit 55 on my jugg tank a few days ago. So while i like to PVP, my pve set armour has been my prioirity.. I dont think i can work on the PVP armour too.

So this thread was very helpful.

I do have some questions though, to my knowledge: after taking notes reading through this.

For those that dont have PVP gear and are a melee weapon dmg player (jugg,mara)
the BiS PVE MH/OH is 162/156/140 (or 162/150/146) *adding up those numbers gives you 458. (where the theoretical max total is 460 = before you start seeing expertise that has been bolstered = LOST)

so the biggest confusion for me is, the fact the naming conventions have recently changed, and most of this post was in the old format? correct?

when you say use 46 blues.. i have never seen a level 46 blue MOD/ENH. to me, there are LVL 45 mods blue- DEFTMOD 20a - item rating 108; and LVL 47 Mods blue - DEFTMOD 21a - item rating 112.

same for ENH - level 45 blue (INSIGHT ENHANCEMENT 20, item rating 108; or level 47 blue - INSIGHT ENH 21, item rating 112.

is that what you mean when you say Blue 46? because its awfully confusing.

Also - for my MH. I just got my MH underworld hilt item rating 168 - which i think is the OLD 72? i have no idea why we still use the old numbers, it is soo confusing... and if so - after reading through - this hilt would drop my expertise bolster - and should not be used UNTIL i can afford PVP item mods (MODS< ENHANCEMENTS< HILT)

so i should use my old SABER with 162 hilt purple, (OLD 69???)which is bought with comms ARKANIAN Set bonus, or BLACK MARKET... or a drop... a 156 MOD - CRAFTED level 53 PURPLE - DEFTMOD 28, and a 140 ENHANCEMENT, crafted level 50 PURPLE - ADEPT 25.

those would be 162/156/140 - for 458 (2 pts under the cap of 460)

DID i get that conversion right, bc its the ROOT of my confusion atm.

now those are all purple, i could not find any BLUES with those ratings... so

level 46 blues - from voss - are either level 45 or 47.. guesing as long as were under 460 here were good? and these are for your ORANGE ARMOUR - non MH/OH... so stack those into all Armour - using BLUE and not PURPLE mods.

finally for EARS/IMPLANTS use crafted LEVEL 53 purple or level 55 artifact crafted (loot dropped) items.

can you confirm i got all this information correct? i know there are some mods that are special to SET BONUS PVE gear - where you buy the gear with comms, or get a token and buy from fleet, and RIP the mods out... i dont have any or id look at them..

thank you RANDLE - this has been ana amzing thread to follow, once i understand

phalczen
06.19.2014 , 01:04 PM | #387
There are several aspects of item modifications that describe its power.
1.) The required player level
2.) the quality (premium "green", prototype "blue", artifiact "purple")
3.) The item level
4.) The item rating
5.) the number after the modification name (e.g. "Advanced Guardian Armoring 30")

Item level was roughly supposed to indicate the power of an item mod relative to premium ("green") mods. So, when the game first came out, and Rakata gear was the top level of pve raiding gear, that had an item level of 58. That was back when the game only had 50 levels, and roughly correlated to the concept that if a player was level 50 and wearing that piece of gear, they would be performing as if they were level 58. It wasn't precisely that, but it was close. Items also had an item rating, which roughly corresponded to the item level. For example:

Item level 58 = Item rating 136 = Rakata gear (has 25 after the name of the modification, like Advanced Guardian Armoring 25)
Item level 61 = Item rating 140 = Campaign or Black Hole gear (has 26 after the name)
Item level 63 = Item rating 146 = Dread Guard or Hazmat gear (27)
Item level 66 = Item rating 156 = so called artifact gear, also the crafted artifact quality character level 53 gear (28)
Item level 69 = item rating 162 = Arkanian/Black Market (30)
Item level 72 = item rating 168 = Underworld/Verpine (31)
Item level 65 = item rating 154 = Conqueror pvp gear (28X)
Item level 67 = item rating 158 = Obroan pvp gear (29X)
Item level 69 = item rating 162 = Brutalizer pvp gear (30X)

In patch 2.7, Bioware got smart and realized item level was more confusing and ditched it in favor of item rating.

Most of the stuff L-RANDLE was talking about regarding "blue 46s" was a bug, fixed in 2.7, and referred to prototype character level 45 stuff that had the item level of 46. Since the bug was fixed, you are correct that a good place to start for your gear would be:

Quote: Originally Posted by MaricAndrellian View Post
so i should use my old SABER with 162 hilt purple, (OLD 69???)which is bought with comms ARKANIAN Set bonus, or BLACK MARKET... or a drop... a 156 MOD - CRAFTED level 53 PURPLE - DEFTMOD 28, and a 140 ENHANCEMENT, crafted level 50 PURPLE - ADEPT 25.

those would be 162/156/140 - for 458 (2 pts under the cap of 460)
Hope this helps

EDIT: your armor should not be composed of under-character-level-50 stuff any longer, since the bug was fixed. You can use, until you get your pvp armor, the same makeup as your mainhand, that is, 162/156/140 ... in other words, shop for:
Armoring: Advanced _____ Armoring 30
Mod: Advanced _____ Mod 28
Enhancement: Advanced ____ Enhancement 25

and of course,

Augment: (either the artfiact/purple/Advanced or prototype blue will work here) ____ Augment 28

Once you have your gear augmented and in that configuration, you can and should buy the pvp relics applicable to your spec first, then the pvp pieces that will compose your set bonus.

MaricAndrellian
06.19.2014 , 08:57 PM | #388
Perfect, thanks for confirming, clarifying.

Could I reverse the mod and enhancement? Since enhancement usually has higher secondary stats? 162/140/156? Or does it not matter at all.

RealPopalot
06.19.2014 , 10:18 PM | #389
Thank you for the helpful information. May the force guild me.
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.

—The Jedi Code (Based on the meditations of Master Odan-Urr)

phalczen
06.20.2014 , 01:48 AM | #390
Quote: Originally Posted by MaricAndrellian View Post
Perfect, thanks for confirming, clarifying.

Could I reverse the mod and enhancement? Since enhancement usually has higher secondary stats? 162/140/156? Or does it not matter at all.
I think so. I thought I saw a post from L-RANDLE within the past two weeks that mentioned testing Armoring 25s/Mod 28s/Enhancement 30s (140/156/162), but it may have just been a thread he posted in, because I couldn't find it the other day. Armor rating gets bolstered very well, so I think that was the rationale for his trial and results.

You can go to the Bolsterizer terminal on the bridge deck of your fleet vanguard vessel, in the training dummy area, to determine the effects of Bolster on your gear. If you find interesting results between the two different combos (162/156/140 or 140/156/162) please post screenshots and let us know!