Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE
12.17.2013 , 07:02 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by jboehm View Post
It's absolutely absurd that someone can be fully min/maxed in the highest tier of pvp gear and not be BiS for PvP. But given that Bioware continues to insist on using their deeply flawed bolster system in rated pvp, players have a right to know how to properly utilize that system if they truly care about being BiS for top-tier pvp.

This is a good guide; that said, I would recommend you take another look at 2 sections of your guide and consider editing the original post to be more accurate.

The answer to whether Obroan is BiS for non-weapon, modifiable pieces depends on your class. If your spec in your class needs the pvp set bonus tied to the Obroan gear, then yes, "Obroan is BiS for PvP on non-weapon, modifiable pieces." However, if your spec in your class either doesn't need the pvp set bonus or needs a pve set bonus, then you should not be wearing Obroan.

(For example, Bioware in their infinite wisdom removed the 15% boost to Kolto Cloud from the pvp set bonus in 2.0 so now it's only found as a pve set bonus. Therefore, it is preferable for healer scoundrels to be running a 2 piece pve set bonus for pvp.)

If you don't need the pvp set bonus, then Obroan is not BiS for non-weapon, modifiable pieces. Instead, you should be running a 69, 63, 61 combination, same as your mainhand/offhand. I suspect the reason you chose to show setups with straight 58's and straight 61's is that you don't have the necessary 69 and 63 pieces, but it's probably a good idea to make clear in your guide that a 69, 63, 61 setup is BiS for mainhand/offhand/armor (if you don't need the pvp set bonus).

Once again, the answer to whether Obroan is BiS for PvP on non-weapon, non-modifiable pieces depends on your class. What we're really talking about here are the "Experimental" level 54 crafted implants. And again, the genius of Bioware comes into play.

(The "Experimental" implants each exist with different secondary/tertiary stat combinations depending on whether it's an aim, cunning, strength, or willpower piece. In order for the implant to be BiS over Obroan, it must have a ton of power on it. It will only have a sufficient amount of power if a green version exists with power as the original secondary stat so that it can be possible to reverse engineer it to a purple where the only secondary stat is a massive amount of power, rather than having to split the secondary stat allotment between power and crit.)

An "Experimental" implant with power as the only secondary stat does not exist for cunning and strength, but does exist for aim and it might for willpower though I'm not positive. This means that if you're a class that uses aim (possibly willpower), the "Expert Experimental" implant will be BiS over Obroan.

Bolster has no place in ranked pvp, but if Bioware insists on keeping its broken system in place, pvp'ers need to know how it works and how to deal with it since pvp gear is not BiS for pvp.
Thanks for the reply.

As for the "Experimental" implants, yes there are no "Power" heavy ones for STR and CUN, but the purples I have on my Mara can be RE'd to have 4 secondary stats, while the PvP ones only have 2:
(64) Expert Experimental Might Package [Superior]
Total Stats:
+94 Strength
+114 Endurance
+46 Accuracy Rating
+62 Power
+52 Critical Rating
+62 Surge Rating

(67) Obroan Vindicator's MK-1 Package
+145 Strength
+156 Endurance
+150 Expertise Rating
+72 Power
+68 Surge Rating

Since the Surge stat has a huge DR and most people are carrying it elsewhere, that Surge difference is moot. The difference in Power equals 2HP in favor of Obroan. So you get Free Critical, Free Accuracy, and END/MAIN/EXP are pretty much equivalent due to bolster.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is geared (pun intended) more towards new entries and returners. I also am trying to be somewhat class independent as spec/class does play a role in "what to wear". In all, my point is that, set bonus excluded, most PvE gear combinations yield stats that are on par with BiS Obroan, so it is far more important to focus on the stuff that matters, L2P, Augments, and stims.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

L-RANDLE
12.17.2013 , 07:18 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
Well I'm trying to get good enough gear to do competitive ranked. So I guess I have to Augment each one of my pieces and then get the pve purples. Good lord min/maxing is expensive
Well part of what this thread is trying to convey is that, more than likely, what you are already wearing is close enough, and spending tons of time and credits is not exactly needed, outside of augments and stims. If your crit is around 20% and your multiplier is around 73-74%, you are fine...

Quote: Originally Posted by AMulls View Post
I think I've got the crux of what you're saying, but I have a couple questions.

You note the purple 66s reach the DR for bolster and recommend the purple 61s and 63s. Did you do any testing with blue 66s? It's been awhile since I've looked, it may be that the purple 63s are better than the blue 66s, I just can't remember.

I have blue 66s all the way across in my PVP gear, except for the pieces I've now upgraded to Conq/Obroan for the set bonus on my Mara. My expertise last time I looked was still bolstered up to 2017.

One of the first things I upgraded was to an Obroan relic (can't remember the name, but it was the recommended one for Maras). And I'm using the matrix cube in the other slot for now. Any data on how the matrix cube is bolstered vs. the a second Conq or Obroan relic?

And I got slightly confused with the implant section. Are you saying that crafted implants are still BiS? Or that they are better than Conq but not Obroan?

Thanks for all your work on this!
I didn't try blues as they are below the cutoff, but again, the difference between blue 66 and purple 58's are minor. Players should choose based on "what is the cheapest". Whether its by getting planetary comms, buying from the GTN, or crafting them yourself, choose the path of least resistance before you hit 55, and you will be fine.

For the implants, see my post above. BiS can mean a lot of things. If you value stat diversity, then the Crafted Purples are BiS (my stance). Some people value raw attack ratings more, but in the end, they are soooooo damn close, it really doesn't matter, so long as you augment either.

JordOfOz
12.17.2013 , 07:21 PM | #23
These are really helpful posts. Thanks to all who have contributed. But I am still confused about two naming conventions that appear to be accepted to refer to item modifications.

First, people keep talking about crafted level 66 purples. My understanding is that this means crafted items that require level 53 to equip. But such items don't list level 66 anywhere on them (at least in game that I can see). How do I tell what items are level 69, 66, level 63 and level 61 etc.?

Second, jboehm states "that a 69, 63, 61 setup is BiS for mainhand/offhand/armor (if you don't need the pvp set bonus)." I take it that the "69, 63, 61" refers to some combination of the armoring, mod and enhancement. What order is being referred to?

foxalot
12.17.2013 , 07:25 PM | #24
Did bolster change with this last patch?

I ran with 2 pieces of 61/63mods for sorc healer pve-set bonus and since last night I've lost a lot of Willpower from bolster.
Nyx-Legacy on The Progenitor.

L-RANDLE
12.17.2013 , 07:26 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by JordOfOz View Post
These are really helpful posts. Thanks to all who have contributed. But I am still confused about two naming conventions that appear to be accepted to refer to item modifications.

First, people keep talking about crafted level 66 purples. My understanding is that this means crafted items that require level 53 to equip. But such items don't list level 66 anywhere on them (at least in game that I can see). How do I tell what items are level 69, 66, level 63 and level 61 etc.?

Second, jboehm states "that a 69, 63, 61 setup is BiS for mainhand/offhand/armor (if you don't need the pvp set bonus)." I take it that the "69, 63, 61" refers to some combination of the armoring, mod and enhancement. What order is being referred to?
when you actually equip the mod, a number will show up next to it.
(66) Advanced Might Hilt 28
Hilt (Item Modifications)

Total Stats:
Weapon Damage/Power Rating 156
+74 Strength
+61 Endurance

In bold is the "item level". If you want to see this in game hover over a piece of gear and the item number will appear on the right side of the modification stats.

L-RANDLE
12.17.2013 , 07:29 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by foxalot View Post
Did bolster change with this last patch?

I ran with 2 pieces of 61/63mods for sorc healer pve-set bonus and since last night I've lost a lot of Willpower from bolster.
I don't think so. Are you mixing PvP and PvE mods on that piece?

RaptorClown
12.17.2013 , 07:31 PM | #27
great guide man, i have plenty of people asking me in game for this - now i can send them here.
pew pew meesa liking youssa

L-RANDLE
12.17.2013 , 07:31 PM | #28
Also I meant to mention. If you guys think this is worthy of being stickied, your support would be appreciated. I grow weary of having to explain bolster seemingly every week in new threads.

L-RANDLE
12.17.2013 , 07:32 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by RaptorClown View Post
great guide man, i have plenty of people asking me in game for this - now i can send them here.
TY!

foxalot
12.17.2013 , 08:04 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
I don't think so. Are you mixing PvP and PvE mods on that piece?
61 Armoring and 66 mod and Enhancement in gloves and legs on my otherwise Conq/Obroan Sorc. In WZ my Willpower is the same as on fleet.

Last night it was 2980-something and today 2800-something. If they "fixed" bolster I wouldn't mind going back to full PvP-gear. But that PvE-set bonus is soooo nice
Nyx-Legacy on The Progenitor.