Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

TheDanski
01.06.2014 , 06:43 PM | #121
Great information in this thread. As much clarity as I've come across regarding bolster...requesting sticky.

Ottoattack
01.06.2014 , 09:19 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
So here's a silly question that I'm sure is extremely basic for everyone else. However... after coming back and reading through this thread and a number of others, and also looking through the PvP & PvE gear vendors on the fleet I'm honestly thinking I have to be missing something. If I understand this all correctly:

- There are only two levels of PvP gear available on the fleet: 65 and 67. Correct.
- If the sum total of my mods on any given item total over 193 (e.g., 67+67+67= 201), my expertise boost for that item gets nerfed. [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]PvP gear is exception. Obroan is 67*3 = 201 but still gets full expertise. Samw with Conqueror.[/COLOR]
- If there is expertise on any mod on a given item, no expertise boost for that item is given; you get what you have via your mods, and that's it. [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Yes. If there is expertise on a single mod/enh/armor the entire piece does not receive expertise, making a mix and match of PvP and PvE mod/enh/armor a very bad idea.[/COLOR]

- There are four levels of PvE gear available on the fleet: classic, basic, elite, and ultimate, corresponding (usually) to 61, 69, 72, and 78)
- Assuming a given item has no expertise on it at all, your expertise level gets the maximum possible boost.

I read the comment in the original post that Obroan gear is the best option available for non-weapon gear; however, I'm looking at the level 78 gear on the PvE side and while it doesn't always compare exactly, the stat bonuses appear significantly higher.

My questions, then, are:
- Will bolster take my stats just as high on a piece of PvE gear with no expertise at all as compared to a piece of PvP gear with exactly 193 points worth of cumulative rating? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Yes. I do this on all my toons PvP gear. I only use PvE weapons in that format. I also use it for my sorc on 2 pieces for the set bonus. I have full expertise in WZs.[/COLOR]
- Are there other PvP vendors at the 72/78 rating equivalent somewhere? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]No. Obroan, lvl 67 gear is top PvP.[/COLOR]
- Is there any benefit whatsoever to using PvP gear in warzones, if the alternative is level 72 or 78 PvE gear that gets bolstered to make up for the lack of Expertise on the gear itself?
[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]PvE gear outside the format of 193 and not including anything above 69 lose huge amount of expertise that significantly outweigh their benefit.

For example, my full geared obroan toon with PvE weapons run 1,481 bonus damage in WZs and full expertise, which gives 60% bonus to damage against players. Full 78s with mid 1600s bonus damage, run around mid 800 expertise, which is roughly 25% bonus damage against players, thus I roughly deal 15% more damage than someone in full DF gear. The ratio is significantly worse for HP as the bonus 8K damage means little when they do not have the 37.5% (around 15%) damage protection, and armor is adjusted to the level of 78 gear regardless of what you are wearing. Healing also loses on the bonus healing, but is not as significant as dps and damage received.
[/COLOR]

- If all of the above is true, would it make sense to completely abandon the PvP gear grind and instead grind out top end PvE gear, if one's goal is to become more powerful in warzone PvP? this is an absolote no Just based on the example above for dps comparison, there is about 15% advantage in damage and about 20% in damage received for someone in full obroan compared to top PvE gear. If lets say we duel inside a WZ, I am at roughly 35% advantage over the PvE gear. This ratio is lower as you PvE gear approaches PvP gear level. There is no question that if you want to PvP reguarlry you should never wear high end PvE gear in WZs.
[/COLOR]
As I'm looking at things now, it would seem as though dumping the PvP gear and shooting for lvl 78 PvE gear across the board would make me significantly stronger in warzone PvP and PvE, while presenting a modest handicap (by way of comparison) to open world PvP.

Is that assessment accurate, or am I completely missing something?
I responded to your questions in red above to the best of my knowledge. For open world PvP there is no bolster, so PvP gear gets 60% more damage and receive 37.5% more damage and around 27.5% more healing (I cant remember the exact number), making even attempting to atk someone in PvP while you are in PvE a suicide. However, since there is no bolster as well, BiS gear is full PvP gear with 78 hilts/barrels and armoring in MH and OH is the strongest composition, because you gain about 250 bonus damage for a sacrifice of 80 expertise.

The purpose of bolster was to make things easier. How did this work out?

Ottoattack
01.06.2014 , 09:30 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by TheDanski View Post
Great information in this thread. As much clarity as I've come across regarding bolster...requesting sticky.
Multiple posters (including me) requested this multiple times in the thread. It is either the moderators dont read PvP forums or the devs do not want forums explaining bolster.

georgemattson
01.06.2014 , 10:45 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Ottoattack View Post
I responded to your questions in red above to the best of my knowledge. For open world PvP there is no bolster, so PvP gear gets 60% more damage and receive 37.5% more damage and around 27.5% more healing (I cant remember the exact number), making even attempting to atk someone in PvP while you are in PvE a suicide. However, since there is no bolster as well, BiS gear is full PvP gear with 78 hilts/barrels and armoring in MH and OH is the strongest composition, because you gain about 250 bonus damage for a sacrifice of 80 expertise.

The purpose of bolster was to make things easier. How did this work out?
Thanks so much for the information; this is extremely helpful. It does seem a bit strange, though, that there's only the two levels of PvP gear. Maybe it's just me and my of appreciation for repeatedly grinding raids, but it does seem as though it's significantly easier to get BiS PvP as opposed to BiS PvE.
Cancelled subscription again. Heading back to Star Wars Galaxies on Bloodfin. Send me an email if you're interested in learning about it (or Google Bloodfin).

Ancaglon
01.07.2014 , 09:01 AM | #125
Gah. I wish I'd read this post about the MH/OH before I used my rolled-over PVP weapons to kit up my new gunslinger with Obroan MH+OH+SA relic, I could have used the 7k ranked comms on the blasters to much better effect. Ho hum...

funkiestj
01.07.2014 , 10:24 AM | #126
Multiple posters (including me) requested this multiple times in the thread. It is either the moderators dont read PvP forums or the devs do not want forums explaining bolster.
Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence (or lack of staffing).

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

funkiestj
01.07.2014 , 10:25 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Ancaglon View Post
Gah. I wish I'd read this post about the MH/OH before I used my rolled-over PVP weapons to kit up my new gunslinger with Obroan MH+OH+SA relic, I could have used the 7k ranked comms on the blasters to much better effect. Ho hum...
Look on the bright side -- you are better geared for open world ganking

funkiestj
01.07.2014 , 10:27 AM | #128
Yes. If there is expertise on a single mod/enh/armor the entire piece does not receive expertise, making a mix and match of PvP and PvE mod/enh/armor a very bad idea.
minor nit: the item does receive expertise (i.e. what is on the one or more PvP mods), it does not receive BOLSTER.

Ancaglon
01.07.2014 , 10:27 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
Look on the bright side -- you are better geared for open world ganking
a) I'm on a PVE server
b) I don't go in for that
c) This post says PVE weapons are better for OWPVP anyway....

funkiestj
01.07.2014 , 10:31 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Ancaglon View Post
c) This post says PVE weapons are better for OWPVP anyway....
Yes, but not the same PvE weapons that are BiS for warzones! For open world where no bolster is in effect then the best PvE MH/OH are better than the sum(mods) <= 193 that you do for WZ.

Your original point is well taken though.