Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

AMulls
01.02.2014 , 10:23 AM | #111
Hugely helpful thread. Just bumping to help the case for a sticky.

funkiestj
01.02.2014 , 01:15 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
We also have more responses to this thread than the main contender thread...(Sorry Maniac :-))
It is not that this thread is "better" than the main contender thread, it is that bolster is the most inscrutable part of the game and consequently needs more discussion.

If we are going to have separate PvP and PvE gear progressions is it too much to ask to have PvP gear be BiS for PvP warzones? Oy vey!

Quote:
MODS, CAN I GET THIS THREAD STICKIED PLZ!!!?
mods are asleep at the wheel ...

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Ariak-
01.02.2014 , 06:04 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Evuo View Post
I've got another comparison here.

http://imgur.com/kuoXJN6,QePx7Vw

Blue Microfilament Implant (first image) vs Obroan Implant (second image)
+3 endurace
+2.1 ranged bd
+A slight crit gain from bolstered mainstat

In favor of the Blue Microfilament.

Of course it just depends on your class/spec if the tradeoff of the secondary stat is worth it (in this case surge vs accuracy).

(The purple microfilament drops expertise by 44 so I did not include it).

EDIT: It is the same (stat gains with no expertise loss) with the Microfilament implants vs Obroan
I have confirmed this. Please update your front page Randle. This is BIS over obroan. The loss in secondary stat is miniscule. In my case, around .03 surge loss vs the gains mentioned above.
Ariak / Ultima Online - Baja - 7X Precast Hally Mage
Ariak / Dark Ages of Camelot - Igraine - Ranger
Ariak / SW:TOR - Prophecy of the Five - Lvl 55 PT hybrid
Rayste / SW:TOR - Prophecy of the Five - Lvl 55 Jug

DarthOvertone
01.03.2014 , 12:59 PM | #114
Great guide Randle. I plan on following the 193 benchmark for all alts that hit 55 at least until the next gear change.

And that's probably why this thread hasn't been stickied. With Bolster changing seemingly in every update, a lot of the information contained here will become outdated rather quickly. However, I think you have successfully identified some of the underlying mechanics of how Bolster changes impact our gear when they do happen. In that regard, the Bolster chase will simply be finding that magic number each time an update occurs.

Now I just need to actually log into the game and play. lol

Edit: neglected to mention regarding Augments and Augment Kits; Each time I roll a new alt, I find an Adaptive Gear look that I really like and score that gear. Usually it's something off the Cartel Market, but you don't necessarily have to buy it there. You can buy most of that Cartel Market gear with credits off the GTN if you have the coin. After that, I just throw MK-9s on all of the pieces and update augments as I level toon.
Alphanoob, Alpha-zen (among others) - Garbage S1 Champion
Ebon Hawk | Harbinger
SWTOR 4.3: It was good while it lasted. Thanks BW

sithBracer
01.03.2014 , 01:14 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Ariak- View Post
I have confirmed this. Please update your front page Randle. This is BIS over obroan. The loss in secondary stat is miniscule. In my case, around .03 surge loss vs the gains mentioned above.
Did you change this in the wz, or out of the wz?
Ma'kaela - jedi shadow in training
Mákaela - assassin in the shadows

funkiestj
01.03.2014 , 04:58 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by sithBracer View Post
Did you change this in the wz, or out of the wz?
TANGENT: Are there still any bolster bugs relating to when gear is changed (i.e. inside a WZ vs outside and then entering WZ)?

If yes, do these same bugs manifest in the Gree area of Ilum?

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Lord_Masty
01.04.2014 , 07:28 PM | #117
Thank you for this thread. I was at full conqueror working on getting obroan when I read this and took the advice of using 69/63/61 weapons and found those to be MASSIVE upgrades compared to conqueror.

So for someone who is already in full conqueror for my non-weapon pieces, should I keep using them until I can upgrade to obroan or would replacing them with PVE gear now be an upgrade to conqueror already?

If so, is there a formula for what's optimal? (like adding up to 193 for the weapons) or should I just wear blues?

KandElAbr
01.06.2014 , 02:32 AM | #118
Does a 72+63+58 format for MH/OH provide full expertise?

georgemattson
01.06.2014 , 03:32 AM | #119
So here's a silly question that I'm sure is extremely basic for everyone else. However... after coming back and reading through this thread and a number of others, and also looking through the PvP & PvE gear vendors on the fleet I'm honestly thinking I have to be missing something. If I understand this all correctly:

- There are only two levels of PvP gear available on the fleet: 65 and 67.
- If the sum total of my mods on any given item total over 193 (e.g., 67+67+67= 201), my expertise boost for that item gets nerfed.
- If there is expertise on any mod on a given item, no expertise boost for that item is given; you get what you have via your mods, and that's it.

- There are four levels of PvE gear available on the fleet: classic, basic, elite, and ultimate, corresponding (usually) to 61, 69, 72, and 78)
- Assuming a given item has no expertise on it at all, your expertise level gets the maximum possible boost.

I read the comment in the original post that Obroan gear is the best option available for non-weapon gear; however, I'm looking at the level 78 gear on the PvE side and while it doesn't always compare exactly, the stat bonuses appear significantly higher.

My questions, then, are:
- Will bolster take my stats just as high on a piece of PvE gear with no expertise at all as compared to a piece of PvP gear with exactly 193 points worth of cumulative rating?
- Are there other PvP vendors at the 72/78 rating equivalent somewhere?
- Is there any benefit whatsoever to using PvP gear in warzones, if the alternative is level 72 or 78 PvE gear that gets bolstered to make up for the lack of Expertise on the gear itself?
- If all of the above is true, would it make sense to completely abandon the PvP gear grind and instead grind out top end PvE gear, if one's goal is to become more powerful in warzone PvP?

As I'm looking at things now, it would seem as though dumping the PvP gear and shooting for lvl 78 PvE gear across the board would make me significantly stronger in warzone PvP and PvE, while presenting a modest handicap (by way of comparison) to open world PvP.

Is that assessment accurate, or am I completely missing something?
Cancelled subscription again. Heading back to Star Wars Galaxies on Bloodfin. Send me an email if you're interested in learning about it (or Google Bloodfin).

georgemattson
01.06.2014 , 03:34 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by KandElAbr View Post
Does a 72+63+58 format for MH/OH provide full expertise?
Oh, and this reminds me...

I've seen recommendations along these lines in a number of areas, with regards to mixing rating on gear (i.e., each particular mod on a piece of gear being at a different level, such that their sum total adds up to 193). However, I'm not at all clear on where to get any kind of PvP gear (as in, something with expertise on it) other than 65 or 67. Where would I find these mods, or the gear that has them?
Cancelled subscription again. Heading back to Star Wars Galaxies on Bloodfin. Send me an email if you're interested in learning about it (or Google Bloodfin).