Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Flash Point Like A Pro (Leveling Version) [partial content]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
How to Flash Point Like A Pro (Leveling Version) [partial content]

DarthTHC
12.19.2013 , 06:35 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Falver View Post
I had a hunch when you argued about who to guard and why, but this proves it, you really don't understand how to tank or how threat works. The way threat works DOES NOT change from level 1 to 55. Try to keep arguing if you like, but I can tell you're a bad tank. Keep on guarding those healers and wondering why you can't seem to hold threat when you open a fight with an AoE taunt.
I never suggested the way threat works changes from 1-55.

I suggested that the way parties work changes from 1-55. Clearly you have not tanked a low to mid level flash point in a very long time, if ever.

But if you're an expert on the topic of tanking leveling flash points, we welcome your well thought out, informative dissertation. Please. The floor is yours.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Rahizm
12.19.2013 , 07:56 PM | #42
He actually tanks for my guild as well as DPS. And so do I.

Healers generate minimal threat. DPS generate moderate threat. Tanks generate high threat. This is basically the order of threat generation. Every healer has threat reducing talents and gets them pretty early in-game. It's also usually accompanied by a healing bonus or reduced knock-back while casting a healing ability. Which is another major reason why a tank should not guard a healer in these circumstances.

A reason to guard a healer: when you're already in combat (and mostly with boss fights) where the mechanics will spawn adds who will go directly for the healer. Then again, in flashpoints there aren't any fights (maybe the dog in Athiss but dps can easily handle them). So basically there's no real reason to guard a healer. And if you're struggling with threat, it gives you more reason to guard a DPS. There's a reason why the Guard tool tip states that the threat generated by the person guarded is transferred to the tank. Give this a shot, you'll find that guarding DPS will benefit your threat on your target. EVEN early in-game.

And opening with taunts is simply stupid. Taunt generates minimal threat but will multiply your current threat. Opening with a taunt means you're multiplying 0 by what, 0.14 I believe? 0 * anything = always 0. Some DPS has to shoot/swing his saber and you have lost threat already.

This is pretty much what Falver is trying to say.
Nae'palm - Gunnery Commando | Rh - Sentinel Deeps | Rev'movak - Shadow Tank | Sutchadik - Dirty Kicker
<Phobos> @ The Harbinger

slafko
12.20.2013 , 02:23 AM | #43
I lost it at "do you even tank". Took him long enough though.

AvalonBunny
12.20.2013 , 02:44 AM | #44
Well done to the OP for taking the time to write such an informative post. I've actually posted a link on our guild forums and direct all members to read it. I've played the game since launch and have been shocked recently to see so much arrogance and bullheadedness by some players in fp's. Marauders leaping onto a boss then whine because they die, healers who dps more than they heal then make the excuse that they forgot, and tanks who just can't keep aggro then ragequit the fp because the group wiped.

As for guard ... I've rarely been guarded as a healer. Some boss fights yes, but that is the tank's choice. As a dps I've often been guarded. I am usually the one bouncing around to save the healer should they get aggro.
*Feels like a Jedi master when she walks through automatic doors*

Fidelicatessen
12.24.2013 , 01:19 AM | #45
Such an awesome thread, and it needs to be stickied.

DARTH THC: would you mind re-posting this in the New Player forum? It really should be stickied over there anyway.

MODS: please sticky this guide, either here or there. I think we can all agree that any newbies who want to do FPs should read this.

ItachiZaku
12.30.2013 , 08:48 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post

Seems extremely unlikely to be used by "newbs". Anyone who cares enough to be on the forums and read this post already cares enough to know how to Flash Point well and therefore doesn't need it.
I need it, so thanks a ton! In leveling my sith toons, I rarely did any FPs, but i'm doing them now and tanking/healing and having never seen these at all, tanking has been an adventure (my only FP tanking was Raiders... wow, I wanted to cry and quit after the second boss when afterwards everyone said I did a great job - didn't know rotham or the dogs had no agro table).

Sending this link to my home email so I can keep handy.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

ItachiZaku
12.30.2013 , 09:10 AM | #47
No, you don't seem to understand. The only way for a healer to have aggro on everything is for a tank to idly ignore any mobs. I don't care what level you or the content are, if you POKE everything with your weapon once, you'll generate enough threat to keep it away from a healer.
That's a lot of GCDs to hit everything sometimes.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

Seireeni
12.30.2013 , 09:39 AM | #48
No, you don't seem to understand. The only way for a healer to have aggro on everything is for a tank to idly ignore any mobs. I don't care what level you or the content are, if you POKE everything with your weapon once, you'll generate enough threat to keep it away from a healer.
Depends on how long the fight lasts. If the dps are slow to burn down things and ignore kill order, this might not be true. However, losing the aggro to a healer is still hard if you pay attention to the enemies. You only need to throw a couple of more attacks on that mob, and it'll leave the healer alone.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

AtroxSWTOR
01.24.2014 , 07:07 PM | #49
bump

Adaliaya
01.25.2014 , 11:23 AM | #50
Very good post thank you