Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Experience intense 12v12 free flight dogfighting"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
"Experience intense 12v12 free flight dogfighting"

BrianDavion
12.17.2013 , 02:52 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Vember View Post
Its really not that hard to rack up kills in a gunship.
it's also not too ahrd to shut down gunships eaither. I know I've made gunship hunting one of my perfered activites. keep smart about it and it's a valueable role. even if all you do is force them to rabbit, they're no liogner for a breif time able to rain down fire.

ToMyMa
12.17.2013 , 04:47 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
I actually have more kills from my laser cannon than my railshot
Yeah... gunships have the best short-range weapon in the game, too...

Rileysoph
12.17.2013 , 05:28 AM | #13
The gunship is the equivalent of a smash monkey

renegadeimp
12.17.2013 , 05:31 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Rileysoph View Post
The gunship is the equivalent of a smash monkey
Only people who have never played one will say that. If you let a Gunship get a shot off on you, then you deserve to die. Gunships are VERY easily shut down. On my server, im pretty well known for my gunship, as i can easily rack up kills, objectives and keep 2-3 scouts off me the entire match. However, if they get the jump on me, ( they should), then im a sitting duck.

Just to note, too many scouts and strikers have tunnel vision and fail to play properly. As an example, when im sitting in my GS, i always use the free roam camera to get a bearing on whats around me, as, like i said, scouts normally come right for me when they see im in a match. It's all about skill and awareness. Thats something the vast majority of short range fighters just do not have. They are focused on dogfighting and racking up kills, then when they are stopped, they come here and cry.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

NathanielStarr
12.17.2013 , 08:36 AM | #15
I do agree that so many people just hit the brakes and sit. That isn't exactly free flight dogfighting

Zoom_VI
12.17.2013 , 09:08 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
Only people who have never played one will say that. If you let a Gunship get a shot off on you, then you deserve to die. Gunships are VERY easily shut down. On my server, im pretty well known for my gunship, as i can easily rack up kills, objectives and keep 2-3 scouts off me the entire match. However, if they get the jump on me, ( they should), then im a sitting duck.
if I remember correctly all the arguments for why Rage spec isn't OP is based around "its so easy to shut down." And you should play a scout where if anything so much as gets a glancing hit you lose your entire shield arc and the next glancing hit takes out your hull.

If you think gunships are as hard to play as the other ships then you need to play something other than a gunship. Really like try dogfighting where you have to draw a lead on a moving target while maneuvering yourself at upwards of 1 km/s
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Trevor_the_Bruce
12.17.2013 , 09:17 AM | #17
The thing about gunships is that they don't take the nodes. That task is up to the scouts and strike fighters to handle effectively. Gunships can get their kills, but they don't win the game. The people guarding and taking nodes do.

Miallen
12.17.2013 , 10:54 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Trevor_the_Bruce View Post
The thing about gunships is that they don't take the nodes. That task is up to the scouts and strike fighters to handle effectively. Gunships can get their kills, but they don't win the game. The people guarding and taking nodes do.
I cannot tell you how many times I have had to rush in to an objective because the scouts and strike fighters are chasing one random guy because he has 10% health left. It's like blood in the water and they lose sight of the objective.

Gunships should be laying out the cover fire for incoming traffic. If I gather 200 objective points in a match on my GS, it's generally because the other roles have failed to do what they are supposed to be doing, with few exceptions.
"Welcome men, you are now part of Operation Human Shield."
Miallen | Merrak | Essani
Outer Rim Templars | Guildmaster
. End Game Ops - PvP - Social - Leveling

Zohkar
12.17.2013 , 11:02 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Trevor_the_Bruce View Post
That is true, it's up to the other two class ships to take the nodes, but more then once I have cleared out the turrets and the defending ships and then strolled in captured the node and flew out to pick a safe spot to defend until one of them has come to defend. People need to learn the roles of each ship and play them to their maximine effect. These two maps are not about who gets the most kills, but who captured and defends the objectives best. More then once I have seen matchs where the opponents just get destroyed with few assists or kills yet win because they played the map correctly and focused on capturing and defending what they took.

That in a essence is the current issue with space pvp in that people think that they need to chase that guy away from the satellite and finish them off, all the while leaving the node open for a quick one-two punch. Yes there are achievements for getting assist, kills, node guarding etc. but the point of these two early maps is to capture and defend until 1000 points or the timer runs out. I know on my server, its almost 50/50 on the win loss ratio between the Empire and Republic.
60 Zohkar (Guardian) 60 Sa'brina (Immortal)
60 Zankar (Shadow) 60 Selura (Corruption)
60 Zandakar (Sharpshooter) 60 Sil'mara (Operative)
60 Zanlamar (Gunnery) 60 Sondrea (Shieldtech)

Nipanther
12.17.2013 , 01:27 PM | #20
Starfighter is fun. It can be intense. I personally play a scout and find it fun when I get 4 Kills 8-10 assists, 3-4 deaths and tons of objectives. Gunships hate me. Sure you like to sit far and snipe, until I find you. If you get that many kills on a gunship the team he was facing obviously were not communicating. Even if the gunship gets away or gets his team to help him, my objective is complete. The goal is to protect the node, capture, dogfight, assist, etc.
The Deathwatch Legacy
Bracus:Kractious:Thantatos:Collumbiana:Shocktodeat h:Breakus:Akada