Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

"Experience intense 12v12 free flight dogfighting"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
"Experience intense 12v12 free flight dogfighting"

Rileysoph's Avatar


Rileysoph
12.16.2013 , 09:51 AM | #1
Sitting there in a gunship just sniping away and getting 20 kills per match when the next guy has only 4 kills

SO INTENSE!

Nethgilne's Avatar


Nethgilne
12.16.2013 , 10:14 AM | #2
I'm the guy in the strike fighter with 4 kills per match because I'm spending the whole match hugging the nodes, breaking LoS on missile locks and chasing off attackers. In fact, I favor Ion cannons just to knock down shields in the short time that I have to set up kills for friendlies.

I do not harbor any resentment to the gunships that killed 3-5 times as many as I did because I did my job and He did his. Winning domination isn't just about getting kills, Dog fights in this game aren't just about shooting people down.

If we all insist that everyone walks away with the same number of kills then what we'll have is a homogenization of roles.

SoulSardonic's Avatar


SoulSardonic
12.16.2013 , 11:10 AM | #3
If a gunship is getting 20 kills per match, your team is doing a terrible job of disrupting them. Find them and hunt them down.

Vember's Avatar


Vember
12.16.2013 , 12:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SoulSardonic View Post
If a gunship is getting 20 kills per match, your team is doing a terrible job of disrupting them. Find them and hunt them down.
Its really not that hard to rack up kills in a gunship.

Zohkar's Avatar


Zohkar
12.16.2013 , 01:15 PM | #5
I usually get zero to a couple kills in the strike fighter or scout. My job is to protect the node in my strike fighter, hunt down gunships and turrents in my scout. In my gunship, it's all about sniping turrets and other players move when targetted and relocate to another postion. Long as I am keeping the enemy on the defense and paranoid that I am out there they lose focus and come looking for me. When the bombers get introduced in February, it will bring a whole new tactic to use and defend against.

The problem I currently see with the maps are people get focused on trying to get those kill for the score board and thats not what domination is about. I've seen games where the enemy doesn't get a single kill and few assists but win because they played the map and defended or attacked nodes and held them while there opponents got dragged off to get that last shot in. Thats unfortunately that is the mentallity of your large amount of players when it comes to objective based pvp. Play the role you select and play the map and you will win, doing anything else no matter how good you are will not carry a team to victory.
60 Zohkar (Guardian) 60 Sa'brina (Immortal)
60 Zankar (Shadow) 60 Selura (Corruption)
60 Zandakar (Sharpshooter) 60 Sil'mara (Operative)
60 Zanlamar (Gunnery) 60 Sondrea (Shieldtech)

SoulSardonic's Avatar


SoulSardonic
12.16.2013 , 01:15 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Vember View Post
Its really not that hard to rack up kills in a gunship.
It's also not that hard to kill gunships, or at least damage them enough to stop them from chaining kills. Now, I don't play on a pvp server (Jedi Covenant), but I don't think I've ever seen a gunship with that many kills. I also hate them with a passion, and will mercilessly hunt down anyone who uses one

willfarlow's Avatar


willfarlow
12.16.2013 , 09:43 PM | #7
It's also not that hard to kill gunships, or at least damage them enough to stop them from chaining kills. Now, I don't play on a pvp server (Jedi Covenant), but I don't think I've ever seen a gunship with that many kills. I also hate them with a passion, and will mercilessly hunt down anyone who uses one

^^THIS, oh boy, this.
I don't think it's really fair to be pushing so hard for a nerf on the gunships...yes, the one-shot kills make me just as mental as anyone, but once you start figuring out how to hunt them, the poor things really suck...they can't maneuver, they're slow, and their close-in weapons are like pea-shooters. And having played one a few times, while you're sniping you are the DEFINITION of a sitting duck.
Oh, and let's not forget the GIANT GLOWING CLOUD they produce when they're charging up to snipe, which is essentially a "Hey, come over here and kill me!" sign...
Pete:Wait a minute, who elected you leader of this outfit?
Everett:Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.
"O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

MCaliban's Avatar


MCaliban
12.16.2013 , 10:00 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Nethgilne View Post
I'm the guy in the strike fighter with 4 kills per match because I'm spending the whole match hugging the nodes, breaking LoS on missile locks and chasing off attackers. In fact, I favor Ion cannons just to knock down shields in the short time that I have to set up kills for friendlies.

I do not harbor any resentment to the gunships that killed 3-5 times as many as I did because I did my job and He did his. Winning domination isn't just about getting kills, Dog fights in this game aren't just about shooting people down.

If we all insist that everyone walks away with the same number of kills then what we'll have is a homogenization of roles.
Sadly, for most matches, there are only a handful of people like you and far too many of the original poster.
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.

Gavin_Kelvar's Avatar


Gavin_Kelvar
12.16.2013 , 10:04 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by willfarlow View Post
Oh, and let's not forget the GIANT GLOWING CLOUD they produce when they're charging up to snipe, which is essentially a "Hey, come over here and kill me!" sign...
It entertains me greatly sneaking up on one in my striker and waiting for that glowing cloud to start getting real bright. Rip away their shields in about a second with ions and proceed to shred their hull all while they've got sniper tunnel vision going. My favorite result of this is when they fire their railgun, don't notice their hull is below 25% and begin charging railguns again only to suddenly explode.

Perhaps the only thing better than hunting them down the first time is when they come back to exact revenge only to be killed by you again.

Xakthul's Avatar


Xakthul
12.16.2013 , 10:22 PM | #10
I actually have more kills from my laser cannon than my railshot
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf