Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What's a good MMO that I could play alongside SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
What's a good MMO that I could play alongside SWTOR?

TheSupaCoopa's Avatar


TheSupaCoopa
12.15.2013 , 03:35 PM | #1
Duran'del here:

I love TOR, but I am kinda getting bored of it(I don't have much incentive to play) and I was wondering what MMO I could play for a breath of fresh air.
I'm new to MMOs, and the only one I've played before TOR was LEGO Universe(R.I.P. LU) and that ended last year
I have very little experience with MMOs, and joining another one(especially one like WoW) means that I am starting from scratch while other players have top level endgame gear and know every little thing about the game. I would not be able to ask any questions about the game without being "yelled" at.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

archifikoss's Avatar


archifikoss
12.15.2013 , 03:45 PM | #2
Not much of an MMO person myself, but I think that a good "supplement" MMO for you would be free to play or buy to play (as you're already spending a lot on subbing for SWTOR), and maybe fantasy instead of sci-fi. I played Guild Wars 2 quite a bit (quit eventually as I didn't like the setting, story or characters) and it's a pretty decent game. You could maybe try Neverwinter, which is f2p and seems like it has a better setting than GW2. Elder Scrolls Online will be out on April 4 but it will be a sub game (seems very good though). I've heard that The Secret World is a pretty good MMO in terms of story and setting, and it apparently has very interesting questing.

TheSupaCoopa's Avatar


TheSupaCoopa
12.15.2013 , 04:18 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by archifikoss View Post
Not much of an MMO person myself, but I think that a good "supplement" MMO for you would be free to play or buy to play (as you're already spending a lot on subbing for SWTOR), and maybe fantasy instead of sci-fi. I played Guild Wars 2 quite a bit (quit eventually as I didn't like the setting, story or characters) and it's a pretty decent game. You could maybe try Neverwinter, which is f2p and seems like it has a better setting than GW2. Elder Scrolls Online will be out on April 4 but it will be a sub game (seems very good though). I've heard that The Secret World is a pretty good MMO in terms of story and setting, and it apparently has very interesting questing.
I've looked up on the secret world once or twice, and the modern-fantasy element if the game doesn't pique my interest. Also, Funcom's making the new(and really, really bad-looking) LEGO MMO, which makes me question how qualified of a developer they are.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
12.15.2013 , 04:29 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post
I've looked up on the secret world once or twice, and the modern-fantasy element if the game doesn't pique my interest. Also, Funcom's making the new(and really, really bad-looking) LEGO MMO, which makes me question how qualified of a developer they are.
If you don't care for the setting the game obviously won't appeal to you - but it does have a great story, and the character building and combat are fun.
What genre are you looking for? Sci-fi/futuristic fantasy?
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)

TheSupaCoopa's Avatar


TheSupaCoopa
12.15.2013 , 04:31 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
If you don't care for the setting the game obviously won't appeal to you - but it does have a great story, and the character building and combat are fun.
What genre are you looking for? Sci-fi/futuristic fantasy?
I honestly don't know.
That's probably going to make this more difficult...
Sorry.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
12.15.2013 , 04:35 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post
I honestly don't know.
That's probably going to make this more difficult...
Sorry.
Hmm, yeah - that does make things more difficult...
You could take a look at Defiance if you like futuristic settings and you enjoy a FPS playstyle.
Other than that, the only thing I can recommend is going to a site like MMORPG.com and reading up on some of the MMO's out there - and hopefully you'll come across one that appeals to you.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
12.15.2013 , 04:38 PM | #7
If you like to see the mechanics behind a game, and a game with a variety of classes, gameplay and playing styles, you could try DDO, in my opinion. It is very complex regarding mechanics, though. Compared to that, SWTOR is ... heavily streamlined. Playing DDO is like driving an very old car with having to look after *lots* of driving components. But it's more sturdy, since it consists of real steel, not plastic components.

Personally - and this is my purely personal opinion - I'm a great fan of the offline game called "Drakensang 2 : The River Of Time". I always recommend it to people. I also participated in an beta test weekend at the developer (sadly the developer went into insolvency and was bought by another firm, so they don't exist anymore).
And it is actually the ONLY game I know of from the last 10 years where social skills / sociel interaction actually matters and contribute to the story / gameplay !

(Apart from "SIMs Mediwval" by EA. There, social skills and social interaction matter even more ... It feels a bit like an MMO as well, only that it has fighting replaced by social interaction in most parts.)
"Pre-2.0 PvP was all about your items. [...]
The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap." AlexModny

TheSupaCoopa's Avatar


TheSupaCoopa
12.15.2013 , 04:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
Hmm, yeah - that does make things more difficult...
You could take a look at Defiance if you like futuristic settings and you enjoy a FPS playstyle.
I played Planet side 2, but quit because of the P2W aspect of it(Technically, a Freenium MMORPG like TOR is not P2W). I do like the prospect of Defiance, but I've heard its plagued by bugs.
In my free time(A.K.A. when I'm not playing SWTOR), I have played Black Ops II, Halo, and Battlefield, but most of the console community has moved to Next-gen and I don't have an Xbox One yet. I'm pretty bad at using a mouse and keyboard for aiming.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
12.15.2013 , 05:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post
I played Planet side 2, but quit because of the P2W aspect of it(Technically, a Freenium MMORPG like TOR is not P2W). I do like the prospect of Defiance, but I've heard its plagued by bugs.
In my free time(A.K.A. when I'm not playing SWTOR), I have played Black Ops II, Halo, and Battlefield, but most of the console community has moved to Next-gen and I don't have an Xbox One yet. I'm pretty bad at using a mouse and keyboard for aiming.
I think the bugs were mostly at launch, like many other MMO's they've had a pretty rocky start - they were nice enough to give out some freebies to the players as compensation though.
I only play it once every blue moon since I'm not a huge FPS fan, but I don't think it has any P2W stuff.
The store has a lot of outfits, different speeder models and stuff like inventory expansions - I think that's the only way to expand your inventory in that game, unlike SWTOR where you can choose - but it's a decent sized one to begin with, not like Neverwinter (and other PW games) where you get a pretty small inventory and then the game just bombards you with stuff you need to save and combine later in an attempt to force you to buy more inventory slots.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)

LegoUniverseBC's Avatar


LegoUniverseBC
12.15.2013 , 07:10 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post
Duran'del here:

I love TOR, but I am kinda getting bored of it(I don't have much incentive to play) and I was wondering what MMO I could play for a breath of fresh air.
I'm new to MMOs, and the only one I've played before TOR was LEGO Universe(R.I.P. LU) and that ended last year
I have very little experience with MMOs, and joining another one(especially one like WoW) means that I am starting from scratch while other players have top level endgame gear and know every little thing about the game. I would not be able to ask any questions about the game without being "yelled" at.
LEGO Universe was awesome! Still upset it closed. Planetside 2 is a pretty sweet MMO FPS to play alongside SWTOR.