Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Has anybody else noticed?


Rileysoph's Avatar


Rileysoph
12.16.2013 , 05:43 AM | #61
ITT: a lot of "dont like it, dont play it" people

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
12.16.2013 , 05:51 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
The amusing thing is that you actually believe there are large numbers of posters doing this.
It's not about belief. It's about facts.
If someone is in here more than the 6-7 days you can get for free, they are subscribers.
And if they have such major issues with the game, it doesn't make sense that they would be paying for it.
But they are.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

SilentWave's Avatar


SilentWave
12.16.2013 , 06:18 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Erasimus View Post
I agree and it was one of the contributing factors for my leaving the first time. Now I have a much, much, longer ignore list, some haters, but mostly the "BioDrones"

Makes viewing the forums much less depressing and the threads are often really really short now
I mostly just stick to my own thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=617504

DAMossimo's Avatar


DAMossimo
12.16.2013 , 06:31 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
Really?
That's what you don't understand?
Why people who pay for something actually enjoy it?
You missed the point;

If they pay and actually enjoy it, then they would be enjoying playing, not getting entwined in nasty back and forths on the forum. I fail to see how arguing with someone about "which Goofy is the real Goofy" is an enjoyable thing to do at Disneyland, instead of riding the rides and watching the shows.

People who do this need a reality check.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
And I suppose paying for something you don't enjoy (or, at least, you don't enjoy anymore) only to endlessly whine about it somehow makes sense to you?
Never did I imply this; you're putting words in my mouth.

But to the point, no one here "endlessly whines". These people either burn out on their own and leave, or are escorted away off the forums by moderators if they get out of hand. It is equally dumb to pay for a weekend getaway at Disney, only to complain about the sun, the prices, and how much you don't like the rides & shows. I'm sure it happens, but people who went there to enjoy themselves don't allow some rambling fool ruin their fun.

In either case, it's up to Disney to deal with these issues, it's not the job of those who pay the admission to the park.

[EDIT] Yeah, I guess I'll address this even though it lengthens my post a little too much:

Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
Also, your analogy is incorrect.
The correct one would be if your friends made fun of your Dodge, then bought a Dodge themselves, continued paying all the bills for it and whined non-stop about all the things they don't like in it. Does that make sense to you?
I disagree. In fact, years ago one of my friends (a big Ford guy) bought a Dodge Omni and had nothing but trouble with it.

Did I get nasty with him due to his ribbing about my Dodge he's done in the past?
Did I argue with him that Dodge is better than Ford?

No. I helped him fix his Dodge as best I could and so he could get as much enjoyment and use out of it as he could. In the end, he just didn't like the Omni, and traded it in on an Escort. At no point in the saga did it occur to me to belittle him, defend Dodge's "good name", or tell him to stop complaining. That wouldn't be good for me, for him, or for Dodge.

DAMossimo's Avatar


DAMossimo
12.16.2013 , 06:38 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by CKHelseth View Post
People defend the things the love. If they love them irrationally, they will defend them irrationally. Its not a good thing for those people to as it doesn't tend to keep them from seeing the things they love for what they are or that there might be something else that they might love more. It does seem ludacris from the outside looking in, but its something that person will have to sort out for themselves. No amount of berating them will change it. Likely it will only prolong it.

To address the other side of it. There are people that seem to find a great level of enjoyment in trying to crush the love people have for things that they do not share or understand. Posting endless threads attacking the game, insulting the people who play and then lingering (and paying the developers they hate) to continue the behavior is no less irrational. I mean if you hate something and think its terrible, wouldn't you move on to something better rather than spend your time being obsessed with it and those that still enjoy it?

I think both sides need to consider why they are acting as they do (they won't). Neither operates rationally and both are obsessed with SWTOR in a way that is kinda unhealthy.

The worst part of it is that anyone who just has an idea for improvement, wishes to vent a valid frustration or say they like anything about the game gets immediately lumped in with the lunatic fringe. Rational discussion is hijacked and we have a forum that most people who play the game avoid.

Now before people completely stop reading, I better get to the point of my post: Dodge sucks!
+10. Good points.

And as far as the Dodge comment - <laughs along with you> - It doesn't matter - it's just a car, I didn't design it or work on the assembly line - I just drive it)

I agree with you that we're dealing with here is irrationality. Plain and simple.

DAMossimo's Avatar


DAMossimo
12.16.2013 , 07:01 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
if you like dodge then ok, I guess, personally I'd never buy one, becasue there are cheaper, more reliable, easier to maintain cars out there.

when you bought a dodge? did you buy it specifically for being a dodge, or it was just convenient car at the right price at the right time and you didn't particularly care what make it was? becasue that makes a difference. its much easier to let insults slide when you have no personal investment in target of insults whatsoever.
When I bought SWTOR, I had a long history with Star Wars, and a love of the IP. I watched the original movie in 1977 sitting in the back seat of my Dad's 1974 Coronet. I bought SWTOR because I love Star Wars and enjoy playing any game remotely related to it.

When I bought my Dodge, I also had a long history with the company. I travelled to Disney for the first time bouncing around in the back of my Dad's 1974 Coronet one summer. I bought my current Dodge (a Stratus) because it was cheap, in good condition, and made sense at the time. I tend to buy Mopar vehicles because it is the dealer my family has always dealt with, so I get a better deal when shopping for a car.


One purchase made out of love, and one purchase made out of logic. I do not frequent either this forum, or Mopar forums bashing or praising either product. And I don't get emotionally compromised by others doing so.

The whole idea of "personal investment" is irrational, unless you own stock in the company, or work for the said company.

On the flip side, someone who feels they were wronged by a company would certainly voice their opinion and attack to them publicly, for maximum PR damage. As long as they don't cross any legal lines when doing so, there is nothing that can be done to stop it, even if they are being irrational about it, and even if you don't want to hear it. But you always have the option of walking away and not listening.

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
12.16.2013 , 07:16 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
But to the point, no one here "endlessly whines". These people either burn out on their own and leave, or are escorted away off the forums by moderators if they get out of hand. It is equally dumb to pay for a weekend getaway at Disney, only to complain about the sun, the prices, and how much you don't like the rides & shows. I'm sure it happens, but people who went there to enjoy themselves don't allow some rambling fool ruin their fun.

In either case, it's up to Disney to deal with these issues, it's not the job of those who pay the admission to the park.
But this is not what's happening here, is it?
And again, your analogy is not really correct.
If you have a problem with Disneyworld's rides and you truly want to help make them better, you send a letter to Disney and you hope they'll take your advice. They are not obligated to do so, but still you hope they will because you actually want to see better rides and shows and you think your ideas are great. If they don't you always have the option to never go to Disneyworld again - it is, after all, entertainment and no one's life depends on going there.
You don't go around the park complaining to anyone you meet about your issues with the park because yeah, after a while, you are ruining people's fun. Although, you're right. It's not those people's job to escort them out of the park but, as far as I know, we can't do that here either.

But that's not the main issue. The problem is that in a forum (or any place you can discuss about the future of the game/park) people are supposed to provide constructive criticism and feedback so that the game gets better and the existing issues are resolved.

So when the same few people (some of them with different accounts) make the same kind of threads about how much they hate (or love) the game, there's nothing "constructive" about that. I realize those people want SWG back or they want SWTOR to become something entirely different or just can't find anything wrong with the game but they are effectively destroying the point of having a forum, because the few important threads just get lost in the way.

Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
I disagree. In fact, years ago one of my friends (a big Ford guy) bought a Dodge Omni and had nothing but trouble with it.

Did I get nasty with him due to his ribbing about my Dodge he's done in the past?
Did I argue with him that Dodge is better than Ford?

No. I helped him fix his Dodge as best I could and so he could get as much enjoyment and use out of it as he could. In the end, he just didn't like the Omni, and traded it in on an Escort. At no point in the saga did it occur to me to belittle him, defend Dodge's "good name", or tell him to stop complaining. That wouldn't be good for me, for him, or for Dodge.
Yeah, I think we might need to stop using analogies because it still makes no sense to me.
Have we moved on to discussing utterly irrational behavior?
Because, what your friend did is the very definition of irrationality. He doesn't like a certain thing, he even made fun of it and then he decided to give it a try, invest time and money on it because...?
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

DAMossimo's Avatar


DAMossimo
12.16.2013 , 07:34 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
But this is not what's happening here, is it?
And again, your analogy is not really correct.
If you have a problem with Disneyworld's rides and you truly want to help make them better, you send a letter to Disney and you hope they'll take your advice. They are not obligated to do so, but still you hope they will because you actually want to see better rides and shows and you think your ideas are great. If they don't you always have the option to never go to Disneyworld again - it is, after all, entertainment and no one's life depends on going there.
You don't go around the park complaining to anyone you meet about your issues with the park because yeah, after a while, you are ruining people's fun. Although, you're right. It's not those people's job to escort them out of the park but, as far as I know, we can't do that here either.

But that's not the main issue. The problem is that in a forum (or any place you can discuss about the future of the game/park) people are supposed to provide constructive criticism and feedback so that the game gets better and the existing issues are resolved.

So when the same few people (some of them with different accounts) make the same kind of threads about how much they hate (or love) the game, there's nothing "constructive" about that. I realize those people want SWG back or they want SWTOR to become something entirely different or just can't find anything wrong with the game but they are effectively destroying the point of having a forum, because the few important threads just get lost in the way.
I agree, but there are those here that purposely hang around the customer service booth, eavesdropping on everyone's complaint, and getting involved in the discussion because they like to argue.

And despite what people "are supposed" to do, they will do whatever they are allowed to do. You, or I, or any other player here cannot change that. Only forum moderators can. If they aren't deleting these posts that rile you up, then they must not be all that concerned about them, and you shouldn't either. It's just the sound of discontent. If you don't like that sound, distance yourself from it. (/ignore is your friend)

As far as "important threads" getting lost, that is the fault of people who would rather comment on the incendiary posts rather than the constructive ones. A complainer can only be a complainer if he/she has an audience.

Foxtrotmikelima's Avatar


Foxtrotmikelima
12.16.2013 , 07:37 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
LOL we're not used to seeing criticism about the game.....oh god....
Oh man..People point out Veteran Posters Trolling and just a few posts later here you come...

This troll can smell a goat from a long ways off.
The First Jedi Principle of Combat: Survive - Obi-Wan Kenobi

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
12.16.2013 , 07:40 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
I agree, but there are those here that purposely hang around the customer service booth, eavesdropping on everyone's complaint, and getting involved in the discussion because they like to argue.

And despite what people "are supposed" to do, they will do whatever they are allowed to do. You, or I, or any other player here cannot change that. Only forum moderators can. If they aren't deleting these posts that rile you up, then they must not be all that concerned about them, and you shouldn't either. It's just the sound of discontent. If you don't like that sound, distance yourself from it. (/ignore is your friend)

As far as "important threads" getting lost, that is the fault of people who would rather comment on the incendiary posts rather than the constructive ones. A complainer can only be a complainer if he/she has an audience.
This, we can agree on.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic