Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Has anybody else noticed?

Nickious
12.15.2013 , 08:42 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
Heh. No one knows for sure. Just rumors really. Seemed like a pertinent wrench to throw into the discussion.
If you are referring to who I think you are referring to, the way to tell where they were given a temp ban or not is just see if you can message them. If you can't that means they've been given a temp ban. As of today, that person can be contacted. Not sure if that case was different a couple days ago.

Rileysoph
12.15.2013 , 10:41 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackholeskipper View Post
I'm merely pointing out that you veteran posters calling out others for being hateful and disruptive to the forums is kinda ridiculous when many of the hateful and unconstructive posts are coming from your so-called "clique." Having said that, I guess it does depend on the poster. Your posts have been polite and courteous as far as I know so I'm not saying this applies to every veteran poster.

But it's frustrating for people who don't frequent the forums as often to come here and see you guys act like you're running the show and moan about how people are constantly whining and "attacking" the game. Sure, people start a ton of troll threads but that doesn't give you the right to bring down every thread where people aren't a 100% happy. It's an MMO and it should have a big community befitting one, not one dominated by a few prolific posters who think they know best.
Welcome to the SWTOR community.

Youll get attacked if you dont think the game is perfect. Simple as that.

fungihoujo
12.15.2013 , 11:03 PM | #53
You have to sub to play GSF.

People subbed to try it out, found it quickly it's crap and doesn't even have basic things like controller support- then did the only thing they enjoy in the game- complain on the forums.

RandomXChance
12.16.2013 , 12:08 AM | #54
This is what I don't understand. Why would you get all riled up about a game unless you were one of the developers or programmers who built it? I see a lot of this in the forums, and it eludes me as to why mere players of a game would so staunchly defend it.

I mean, I drive a Dodge, and some friends make some low-brow insults about it and make fun of me driving it. Do I go off like a raving lunatic in defense of Mopar's good name like I have a personal stake? No, I just laugh along and let it run it's course.

I suspect there is more to this phenomena than meets the eye, but on the surface, it seem ludacris.
As in stating as fact ( and I do mean, they say "its a fact") things that are untrue or subjective. They then proceed to declare anyone that disagrees with stated "fact" to be blind to the truth.
There is a large subjective element to the quality of entertainment. Declaring your view as "fact" is what gets me and many other a bit riled up. I am sure some do not realize, but I am sure others do it intentionaly.

CKHelseth
12.16.2013 , 02:33 AM | #55
This is what I don't understand. Why would you get all riled up about a game unless you were one of the developers or programmers who built it? I see a lot of this in the forums, and it eludes me as to why mere players of a game would so staunchly defend it.

I mean, I drive a Dodge, and some friends make some low-brow insults about it and make fun of me driving it. Do I go off like a raving lunatic in defense of Mopar's good name like I have a personal stake? No, I just laugh along and let it run it's course.

I suspect there is more to this phenomena than meets the eye, but on the surface, it seem ludacris.
People defend the things the love. If they love them irrationally, they will defend them irrationally. Its not a good thing for those people to as it doesn't tend to keep them from seeing the things they love for what they are or that there might be something else that they might love more. It does seem ludacris from the outside looking in, but its something that person will have to sort out for themselves. No amount of berating them will change it. Likely it will only prolong it.

To address the other side of it. There are people that seem to find a great level of enjoyment in trying to crush the love people have for things that they do not share or understand. Posting endless threads attacking the game, insulting the people who play and then lingering (and paying the developers they hate) to continue the behavior is no less irrational. I mean if you hate something and think its terrible, wouldn't you move on to something better rather than spend your time being obsessed with it and those that still enjoy it?

I think both sides need to consider why they are acting as they do (they won't). Neither operates rationally and both are obsessed with SWTOR in a way that is kinda unhealthy.

The worst part of it is that anyone who just has an idea for improvement, wishes to vent a valid frustration or say they like anything about the game gets immediately lumped in with the lunatic fringe. Rational discussion is hijacked and we have a forum that most people who play the game avoid.

Now before people completely stop reading, I better get to the point of my post: Dodge sucks!
Guild Leader - Solatium (Imp)/Pandalorians(Pub)
Maren - Sniper Krysar - Juggernaut Catface - Starfighter

Jeweledleah
12.16.2013 , 03:52 AM | #56

if you like dodge then ok, I guess, personally I'd never buy one, becasue there are cheaper, more reliable, easier to maintain cars out there.

but to your point.

why would anyone defend something they enjoy even if they don't personally work on it? why simple. becasue they enjoy it. becasue they love it. becasue they want it to succeed, they want others to love it too, becasue they want to share in a love, not see something they love be insulted and derided. you can love something and still realize its not perfect. you can love something without being one of the people that created it. because you might even... empathize with people who did created and have a pretty good idea how it feels when people trash your creation and you alongside with it (usually these "critical" posts? they trash the game, company that made the game and all too often - people who actually happen to enjoy the game and its style)

when you bought a dodge? did you buy it specifically for being a dodge, or it was just convenient car at the right price at the right time and you didn't particularly care what make it was? becasue that makes a difference. its much easier to let insults slide when you have no personal investment in target of insults whatsoever.

the problem with a lot if not most critical posts that's been especially prevalent lately is that they do not come from a place of love, or caring. they are an equivalent of graffiti defacing a public mural or better yet, vindictive ex trashing their former partner, becasue they dared not to live up to their often unfounded expectations. they are all too often not suggestions to improve upon existing foundation of the game, but rather demands to change the game into something completely different, often a copy of OP's favorite game. because actually going of to play their favorite game instead of trashing another one is just too logical I guess.

and thing is? I've been there. Mass Effect 3 was that game to me, the one that disappointed, the one that didn't live up to expectations, the one that hit all my "do not want" buttons. and for a while, I was one of the people complaining about it, in detail and with both specific criticisms as well as suggestions on how to fix it. and then I realized. its pointless. its a waste of time. it doesn't make the game any better for me or anyone else, all it does is create toxic atmosphere for those who actually like it and would like to share in the enjoyment. as well as those who may not have been completely happy, but have ideas and more importantly a plan and ability to implement those ideas. sure some of the rebuttals were, just as bad if not worse than the hate. but...love is ALWAYS more productive than hate. as sappy as it sounds.
so we defend. even some of us who are not exactly, entirely happy with where the game is going. because among other things, people who make the game are more likely to listen to players that actually enjoy their game overall and want to keep playing it.. and paying for it.

AlexDougherty
12.16.2013 , 04:31 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackholeskipper View Post
It's probably new players and resubs because of the 30 days extra deal they had in late nov/early dec. (I'm one of these resubs).

Also, just checking the forums again I have to say about half of these hateful and rude posts are coming from the so called "defenders" of the game. You're just making your own forums more toxic. Just cause new people are popping in and starting silly threads that may or may not have been posted before doesn't give you free license to insult people and drag down every thread that merely *hints* at the suggestion this game could be improved in some aspect or another. Seriously, calm down and at least respond constructively.
^^this^^

Be polite, listen to what people say, and then give an APPROPRIATE response, you can still knock back silly posts, but do so politely.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

horrorfaneightys
12.16.2013 , 04:42 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by CKHelseth View Post
People defend the things the love. If they love them irrationally, they will defend them irrationally. Its not a good thing for those people to as it doesn't tend to keep them from seeing the things they love for what they are or that there might be something else that they might love more. It does seem ludacris from the outside looking in, but its something that person will have to sort out for themselves. No amount of berating them will change it. Likely it will only prolong it.

To address the other side of it. There are people that seem to find a great level of enjoyment in trying to crush the love people have for things that they do not share or understand. Posting endless threads attacking the game, insulting the people who play and then lingering (and paying the developers they hate) to continue the behavior is no less irrational. I mean if you hate something and think its terrible, wouldn't you move on to something better rather than spend your time being obsessed with it and those that still enjoy it?

I think both sides need to consider why they are acting as they do (they won't). Neither operates rationally and both are obsessed with SWTOR in a way that is kinda unhealthy.

The worst part of it is that anyone who just has an idea for improvement, wishes to vent a valid frustration or say they like anything about the game gets immediately lumped in with the lunatic fringe. Rational discussion is hijacked and we have a forum that most people who play the game avoid.

Now before people completely stop reading, I better get to the point of my post: Dodge sucks!
This is a great post. That is all.
Xaniata-kee, Morga-dar Li'lu-fei, Aiden-grey, Jadze, Sangui

My referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/PsR795

TheNahash
12.16.2013 , 04:58 AM | #59

Really?
That's what you don't understand?
Why people who pay for something actually enjoy it?
And I suppose paying for something you don't enjoy (or, at least, you don't enjoy anymore) only to endlessly whine about it somehow makes sense to you?

Also, your analogy is incorrect.
The correct one would be if your friends made fun of your Dodge, then bought a Dodge themselves, continued paying all the bills for it and whined non-stop about all the things they don't like in it. Does that make sense to you?
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

Roalmo
12.16.2013 , 05:26 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
And I suppose paying for something you don't enjoy (or, at least, you don't enjoy anymore) only to endlessly whine about it somehow makes sense to you?
The amusing thing is that you actually believe there are large numbers of posters doing this.