Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star*FIGHTER* not Star*Call of Duty*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Star*FIGHTER* not Star*Call of Duty*

SemperFido
12.15.2013 , 06:12 AM | #1
Seriously love everything about this little addition except the way they implemented Gunships... THIS IS NOT TO SAY THEY ARE OP ... just fracking stupid. They do not belong in Star Wars, the movies modeled their battlescenes off of WWII aerial battles... not Call of Duty quick scoping. The whole point of Spaceflight is to go ludicrous speed and fly through your enemies debri... and yet there is a whole class of ship who is only doing its job when its SITTING THE FRACK STILL. How pointless is that?

Should have just given people the option to be turret gunners on bombers/capitals/sattelites ... also, the FPS genre needs to be eradicated, its ruining the entire gaming industry.

AlrikFassbauer
12.15.2013 , 07:00 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by SemperFido View Post
also, the FPS genre needs to be eradicated, its ruining the entire gaming industry.
Personally, I even agree to that. It has done bad things to the RPG genre, I believe.

However, I kind of disagree if you mean Gunships - I (personally) see a ground version of them in the massive AT-TE's from AOTC. They did similar things on Geonosis. They even managed to bring a Separatist ship down.

More about it here : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_T...tical_Enforcer

Gunships are like ... "AT-TEs in space".
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Elfa
12.15.2013 , 08:21 AM | #3
Actually, it would have been more realistic had they made the gunship a two player system where one pilots and one shoots. This would have forced teams to sacrifice on field numbers for more accurate firing and power without losing realism.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

-KeggER-
12.15.2013 , 08:52 AM | #4
I agree with the OP. According to the Star Wars storyline, Gunships are designed to be heavily armored and wield firepower... missiles and blasters. They are flying fortresses, not snipers....
Keggr - Pot5 [Def Squad] Imperial GSF Pilot / BH

PEW PEW to KILL

Helig
12.15.2013 , 08:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by -KeggER- View Post
I agree with the OP. According to the Star Wars storyline, Gunships are designed to be heavily armored and wield firepower... missiles and blasters. They are flying fortresses, not snipers....
I kind of agree. Railguns do look questionable. I don't really mind them in the picture of game balance, but they do feel weird from the lore standpoint.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

willfarlow
12.15.2013 , 09:38 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
I kind of agree. Railguns do look questionable. I don't really mind them in the picture of game balance, but they do feel weird from the lore standpoint.
I DO mind them in the picture of game balance. The whole point of Starfighter is to FLY. If you can't fly, you're dead. Want to sit still and snipe? Play ground PVP. The fact that the Gunship can STOP IN IT'S TRACKS and just sit and snipe is stupid. And it's insulting the players that actually take the time to learn the flight controls and try to become better pilots.
Pete:Wait a minute, who elected you leader of this outfit?
Everett:Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.
"O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Sindariel
12.15.2013 , 09:46 AM | #7
Don't forget the satellite campers, that hide in the corners of a satellite and force you to spend ages trying to find the right angle to approach them.

Tenacity
12.15.2013 , 09:47 AM | #8
Gunship pilots do tend to remind me of your typical FPS bushwookies.
Akeema Lynx Mirialan Freelancer

Hendar
12.15.2013 , 09:57 AM | #9
In SWG the Gunships were heavily armoured ships with big guns but I think what they were going for was more artillery in space with the SWTOR gunships. They remind me of the cannons on a Star Destroyer but instead of several there's one mobile.
The Progenitor - Hendar
-------------------------------------
Origin: Brageyboy | Steam: Hendar

Yorumi
12.15.2013 , 10:02 AM | #10
Are we really at the point now where people are calling for things to be removed just because they don't want to counter them? Gunships add some nice variety to the game as will bombers and whatever the stealth ship is too.