Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

Htoob
12.15.2013 , 04:41 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
Sandbox games aren't going away but there is no way they're ever reaching the comparative zenith they were once in.

They're a niche and they're staying that way. The older gamers that started out with hardcore installments are 30, 40 now and the new generation is more ease of access oriented as well. Original SWG would bomb today, that's the reality of it. Some nostalgia folks may flock to it but it takes too much to draw in the general population. The times have changed. People have changed. Yes yank tank cars have a certain classical charm and romance to them. But who would pick them for a coast to coast road trip? Very few, that's who.
You just don't understand classic then, And fyi, sandbox mmos are on the rise, developers are starting to finally get a clue and realize the inherent failures and limitations of thempark mmos, and are going back to sandbox roots. EQ Next, Archeage are just two that are coming out soon. And if everything goes well, which it will of course in regards to mmos, cause themeparks are starting to die the long deserved death they need, I'll be gald when they are just a bad memory and no longer infecting and destroying the genre that could have turned into a fantastic online experience in open worlds with players of all walks and playstyles sharing the same virtual environment.
"No."

-Bioware

Lunafox
12.15.2013 , 09:17 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Wintermist View Post
You're not out of luck and the sandbox games aren't gone.

Have a look at https://www.therepopulation.com/ which is a game that seems to want to mimic what SWG did exactly.
Is this available now to play? Or is there an eta on when it's being released? It looks pretty cool. I'd love to try it.
Thanks.

aeterno
12.15.2013 , 10:45 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Htoob View Post
You just don't understand classic then, And fyi, sandbox mmos are on the rise, developers are starting to finally get a clue and realize the inherent failures and limitations of thempark mmos, and are going back to sandbox roots. EQ Next, Archeage are just two that are coming out soon. And if everything goes well, which it will of course in regards to mmos, cause themeparks are starting to die the long deserved death they need, I'll be gald when they are just a bad memory and no longer infecting and destroying the genre that could have turned into a fantastic online experience in open worlds with players of all walks and playstyles sharing the same virtual environment.
Rise of the sandbox and fall of the theme park has been foretold as long as I remember now and title after title just fade into memory... with people like you notching it up to XY game faults except sandbox nature not having the pull of course...

Come talk to me when one of these games does a fully player driven economy and all the other oldschool whistles and bells pulls in a fraction of the largest themeparks do. Inb4 EVE/SC cos that's a totally different beast.

People by and large want to jump in and out, get their quick fix, put in 2 raid nights per week and stay in the vicinity of the curve etc. etc. Not set up 200 harvesters or save up a fortune and scour the forums for that awesome crafter...

I'm not saying you'll never see a sanbox game again. I'm not saying a sandbox game won't ever achieve solid success. I'm just saying that the notion that the sandbox, like the South, will rise again and put the themepark to the well deserved sword is a pipe dream, nothing more.

Foambreaker
12.15.2013 , 11:03 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
EvE is still around. This probably belongs in off-topic though.
EVE is about as sandbox as you can get.

Foambreaker
12.15.2013 , 11:11 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Etheric View Post
Could you please explain to me how that would work, the mixing of Sandbox and Themepark, for the life of me i can't wrap my mind around that concept. See to me all sandbox designates is the ability to affect the world and players in the world whereas Themepark is the opposite, your being in the world neither effects it or I.

Example, In EVE if say i go to a certain sector and mine all the Golden omber from the zone its gone until the server resets at 7am est. You arrive looking for the same mineral after me your choices are mine something else or go somewhere else, I've directly affected your gameplay, whereas Themepark what 2to 5 minutes of waiting for a quest completion ( you beat me to the blue flashing panel i need to click ), you beat the FP i'm gonna run, not gonna effect me will it.

So how do you combine the ability to affect the word around you and others playing without affecting the world around you and others playing ?

If you're speaking of features like , housing, weather,ect.ect. Well there just features neither belonging to nor defining of either genre. My opinion of course.
Face it, a lot of players in this thread don't understand "sandbox" the way anyone who played EVE or UO does.

Arkerus
12.15.2013 , 11:20 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Htoob View Post
The fact that you want en entire genre of fun, profitable MMOs to die is utterly ridiculous.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Foambreaker
12.15.2013 , 11:27 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
The fact that you want en entire genre of fun, profitable MMOs to die is utterly ridiculous.
I don't think that is what he said, but if we could return MMO to the UO pre-REN model then ya, let the deaths begin

Infernixx
12.15.2013 , 11:28 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
I don't think that is what he said, but if we could return MMO to the UO pre-REN model then ya, let the deaths begin
That's exactly what he said. Reading is fundamental.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Callaron
12.15.2013 , 12:15 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Is this available now to play? Or is there an eta on when it's being released? It looks pretty cool. I'd love to try it.
Thanks.
I think they are entering beta soon, so nope, not yet.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

Lunafox
12.15.2013 , 02:47 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
I think they are entering beta soon, so nope, not yet.
Okie dokie, thanks for the answer. Will have to keep an eye on this one