Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

SawneyRath
12.16.2013 , 10:58 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Feztonio View Post
while i think most people like the 'idea' of a sandbox, i don't know how many of them are truely willing to actually use them. I played SWG from about a month after launch until the NGE finally wrecked it for me. yes the planets were sandbox and you could go anywhere vs SWTOR where you're on rails more or less each planet. the thing is - nobody really ventured way out into the nooks and crannies of the SWG planets much at all.

as someone who always was out there in the hinterlands placing harvesters and running my economic empire, i rarely ran into anyone else out more than a couple thousand meters away from the spaceports, except maybe other harvester planters.

my point here is.. just because the idea of a sandbox is appealing, even when one is in front of gamers nobody actually takes advantage of it when they have one
I played SWG from Beta to death and I have to say, people went EVERYWHERE all the time. People were always looking for that awesome view for their houses, looking for random POI's, or the perfect place to set up a Town. Crafters were always venturing deep into the Wilderness for the best resource spawns...

I even know that on my servers (Scylla and Starsider) people had Guilds dedicated to exploration of the maps. So, when you say that people didn't venture off into the unknowns... That's not exactly true at all.

As for the Sandbox Game theme going downhill, that isn't true. Look at Everquest Next, The Repopulation, Wild Star, and Star Citizen. All games coming out.

Theres also Age of Wushu, EvE, and ESO on the way. (ESO is less Sand boxy, but still more so than TOR is.) So I would not say that Sandbox MMO's are not around anymore.
Selique Lasra [Jung Ma RPvP]
Guildmaster of <Esoteric Order/Knights of Atonement>
~Star Wars Galaxies Vet (Scylla/Starsider)~

Aries_cz
12.16.2013 , 11:06 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalLowlife View Post
In a true "sandbox", the player has tools to modify the world themselves and create how they play. So along with open world PvP, they'd have to add the option for user generated content. Think "GTA Online". This is my first MMO so I wouldn't know what a sandbox MMO would be like. But there are plenty of sandbox console games.
Not sure how you create content in GTA (but then, I stopped following the series after maybe 3 hours of GTA4, because it was too boring for me, unlike San Andreas), but I basically your explanation is correct.

Quote: Originally Posted by ghoul_drool View Post
Explanation of Sandbox for you Ghoul_drool
Good example is the now very popular Minecraft (I am sure you heard of if, if now, where were you hiding for the past 2 years?), where you can literally build anything you want from whatever materials you have. You also have the possibility to play with other people in multiplayer and kill them or destroy their stuff.
Or perhaps even better example would be SPORE, conceived by Will Wright (the guy behind Sims, SimCity, etc), where you created anything from lifeforms to spaceships, and then you used those for playing. However, there was no multiplayer per se (you could use and meet other people's creations, but you could not play with others directly)
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

branmakmuffin
12.16.2013 , 11:10 AM | #93
Sandbox is a niche market. EVE seems to be the WoW of sandbox. EVE will be around for a long time, but I doubt any other sandbox games will ever again be more than a tiny blip on the MMO radar.

GalacticKegger
12.16.2013 , 11:19 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
As I said ... not in our lifetimes. To create a real-time full-fledged player-controlled organically-created-storyline virtual multiverse would take more back office storage and computing power than First Data has.

Fun article though.
Expansion story should never have been made exclusive to solo play. Unbolstered Flashpoints, HMs and Ops should never have been removed. Loot tables should never have been removed. Level sync should have been instanced and made optional. Companion combat customization should never have been removed. #RemoveRNG

Rthen
12.16.2013 , 11:56 AM | #95
Just my opinion but Sanbox games bore me. I have only played EVE but the game really was boring and lacked story line. It was also full of griefers.

Sadly it appears that to do a really good story driven MMO means giving up profit margin and few publishers can or are willing to do that.

Thus we are left with what we have which is a game full of potential that will not be realized. The entire space combat mini-game was a misguided effort that did nothing to build on the core game in my very humble opinion.
---
Kirreck - 65 Sniper
Rthenn - 39 Sorcerer
Rthen - 28 Shadow