Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How to: Target's target and Focus Target

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
How to: Target's target and Focus Target

Tylith's Avatar


Tylith
12.22.2011 , 03:37 PM | #1
I keep seeing, on almost every forum, people complaining about not having a target's target button. I myself, at first, was this way.. However It is in the game and so there is no need to complain about it. They just didn't tell you how to do it.

How to: Target's Target
Target's target allows you to say, select a the tank, and then press a button to automatically select what he is targeting. By default this is " Alt+T ". If you wish to change this, you can. just go into options and at the bottom of the windows there will be a tab labelled "Key bindings" go to it and select targeting. close to the very bottom is target's target. feel free to set it how you want.

How to: Focus Target
Focus target is a great feature for everyone, but mainly healers. Focus target allows all abilities to be directed to a pre-selected target. So if you are a healer, you want to have your tank focus targeted, so when the time comes you can just hold down the focus target button and hit your heals. By default this feature is not even turned on.

To turn this feature on you go into your options and.. (oops forgot where?) well you should be able to see a box that is labelled "enable focus target". Make sure you select that.
Once on, you may not use this handy feature. By default "alt+f" selects your focus target and holding down "f" and using an ability will direct that ability to your focus target. Once again, you can change this in the key bindings -> target area in options (i know classes that use the cover feature, have F for cover)

I hope that is easy to understand... and I hope it helps you out!

dragnn's Avatar


dragnn
12.22.2011 , 03:42 PM | #2
Good info. This should be stickied. Or at least embedded somewhere in the new player guide.

dmarkd's Avatar


dmarkd
12.22.2011 , 03:44 PM | #3
While switching to Target's Target is useful for, say, assisting a tank, I think what people want to be able to see is a live view of the Target of Target. For instance, if I am tanking, it is nice to see that the mob I am attacking is paying attention to me, or if I'm healing and the mob switches from the tank to another player, I can know who I'm going to need to save while the tank picks it back up again.

Alt-T is a start, but it doesn't cover all the use scenarios that people were looking for.

Wookielicious's Avatar


Wookielicious
12.22.2011 , 04:11 PM | #4
Good to know but it's an unnecessarily complex way of doing it. I should be able to target a player and see what they're attacking and have the game smart enough to realise that if I use a damaging ability it should target through the player and a heal should target on the player. This is a pretty standard feature in MMO's.

ikinai's Avatar


ikinai
12.22.2011 , 04:36 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Wookielicious View Post
Good to know but it's an unnecessarily complex way of doing it. I should be able to target a player and see what they're attacking and have the game smart enough to realise that if I use a damaging ability it should target through the player and a heal should target on the player. This is a pretty standard feature in MMO's.
How is it complex? It's a keypress, you're pressing keys already, how does it make it any more complex? If anything you're asking for it to be dumbed down so any monkey could heal.
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School
Is this referral mic on? It's free stuff and stuff, in game.

SheckyS's Avatar


SheckyS
12.22.2011 , 04:44 PM | #6
Most other games SHOW you your target's target visually so you can see what it is before you select it. I think that's what Wookielicious is complaining about. And it's a valid point.

On the other hand, no MMO I ever played (and I've played quite a few, but obviously not all of them) had this in at launch, they all added it in shortly after. It's just one of those things that they all forget about for some odd reason. I'm confident they will add this in eventually.
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." - Yoda

Wookielicious's Avatar


Wookielicious
12.22.2011 , 07:57 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ikinai View Post
How is it complex? It's a keypress, you're pressing keys already, how does it make it any more complex? If anything you're asking for it to be dumbed down so any monkey could heal.
There's a difference between dumbing down and offering something intuitive.
A system that doesn't show what your party members have targeted, who an enemy has targeted and requires an extra key press every time you switch targets and heal to get back to an enemy target just strikes me as being more complex than it needs to be.
Not to mention the focus system is not switched on by default.

Is it a game breaker? Of course not.
Would the game be better without this roundabout way of targeting? I think so and so do a lot of other people posting here and discussing it in game.

SheckyS's Avatar


SheckyS
01.03.2012 , 12:13 PM | #8
After playing a little more and experiencing this first-hand (especially as a healer), I have to agree. This needs to be made a lot easier.

I like the whole Focus Target thing. But even this is more complex than it needs to be. If I am targetting a friendly character and I activate a hostile power, it should automatically target the friendly players target.

If I target an enemy and use a heal or other benefiical power, then it should automatically affect that enemy's target (if it's friendly).

That's just common sense and every other MMO I've played does it that way.
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." - Yoda

Anhelios's Avatar


Anhelios
01.06.2012 , 09:40 AM | #9
I'm a healer and I even use this solo now with my companion. There isn't anything hard about this in all honesty.

Anhelios's Avatar


Anhelios
01.06.2012 , 09:53 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SheckyS View Post
After playing a little more and experiencing this first-hand (especially as a healer), I have to agree. This needs to be made a lot easier.

I like the whole Focus Target thing. But even this is more complex than it needs to be. If I am targetting a friendly character and I activate a hostile power, it should automatically target the friendly players target.

If I target an enemy and use a heal or other benefiical power, then it should automatically affect that enemy's target (if it's friendly).

That's just common sense and every other MMO I've played does it that way.
I've never encountered a "smart" assist like that. Even in WoW. I've also played countless F2P games and again, nothing like that. The default friendly action usually lands on yourself.