Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Does the current gear/mod availability ruin the craft economy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Does the current gear/mod availability ruin the craft economy?

DustomaticGXC's Avatar


DustomaticGXC
12.22.2011 , 06:33 PM | #11
People need to stop judging the crafting usefulness before the community is full of 50s. The entire game will change when that happens. Supply and demand will be ENTIRELY different.
Don't act like you didn't see this coming.

deserttfoxx's Avatar


deserttfoxx
12.22.2011 , 06:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DustomaticGXC View Post
People need to stop judging the crafting usefulness before the community is full of 50s. The entire game will change when that happens. Supply and demand will be ENTIRELY different.
I think you are missing the point.. how are you supposed to get those trades to 50 if you cant afford it, if you cant sell the items you make you cant level them to 50, there is no way around that.

its the reason why most serious crafters have taken up the plan of slicing to 400, make a few million creds then power level their real crew skill.
You are very welcome to use my referral link.
With this you get 7 days of free subscription,a free character transfer and nice items mailed to all your characters. The referral helps both new, returning and current players!

Click here for 7 days of free subscription a free character transfer and more

Saldrex's Avatar


Saldrex
12.22.2011 , 06:42 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by deserttfoxx View Post
I think you are missing the point.. how are you supposed to get those trades to 50 if you cant afford it, if you cant sell the items you make you cant level them to 50, there is no way around that.

its the reason why most serious crafters have taken up the plan of slicing to 400, make a few million creds then power level their real crew skill.
I am hard pressed to think of a game in which crafting has ever been profitable while leveling and not a sink. Resource gathering is not the same as crafting and has been profitable in pretty much all games as they sell to those who craft. I kinda want to say that rather, most "serious crafters" hold off on professions until they have the disposable income to sink into it which most of the time ends up being at max level. Most crafting systems in other games have no returns until end game and are giant sinks until then. I do not really see it being very different than other games but maybe people want that to change.

Shodori's Avatar


Shodori
12.22.2011 , 06:45 PM | #14
Was just gonna make a thread about this to.. .

No one wants my synthweaving stuff.. no one wants to pay for a rare that they can get the cash for in 30 min of questing or an epic quality in 2 hours...

its a money sink and only has a level 50 purpose it seems

people don't want to shell out the cash for +3 str and +2 endurance and 7 crit

fail fail fail.. as i figured another useless crafting system.

deserttfoxx's Avatar


deserttfoxx
12.22.2011 , 06:53 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Saldrex View Post
I am hard pressed to think of a game in which crafting has ever been profitable while leveling and not a sink. Resource gathering is not the same as crafting and has been profitable in pretty much all games as they sell to those who craft. I kinda want to say that rather, most "serious crafters" hold off on professions until they have the disposable income to sink into it which most of the time ends up being at max level. Most crafting systems in other games have no returns until end game and are giant sinks until then. I do not really see it being very different than other games but maybe people want that to change.
Heres the thing, in other games you can usually level crafting knowing you wont make a dime until max level, but you wouldnt lose any money either if you were willing to spend the hours running around and clicking nodes. in this game however You cannot do that, you ahve to spend thousands of credits just to level up crafting, there are no other MMOs ive played where it costs this much money just to progress the trade.

The simple act of removing blue and purple materials from the crafting nodes have made crafting crew skills painfully expensive. combined with the act of throwing a mod and gear commendation vendor on EVERY planet, cmon its like they dont want you to craft at all.

A system that caters to end game crafting ONLY is the old tired way of doing things, it completely sucks and it completely negates crafters as a whole in and of itself. Look im not asking for some kind of final fantasy 14 sandbox where i become a vendor myself, but i do want to be able to make gear at all levels that people actually give a damn about.

What the heck is the point of a crafting system where we all know it sucks until end game, why have recipes for levels 1 to 49 when nobody wants anything until 50? Wouldnt it just make more sense to have no recipies at all until 50, i mean since we are only crafting for end game anyway right.

The old system has always been completely stupid, bioware gave the impression that crew skills would be something people would want to do because it would offer items that would be worth while. This used to be true until a few builds ago, and now its back to the same old nonsense, the same old lines get tossed around, well, its ok, at 50 crafting si worth it, just dump a few million bucks into it and cross your fingers.

Seems like a great plan.
You are very welcome to use my referral link.
With this you get 7 days of free subscription,a free character transfer and nice items mailed to all your characters. The referral helps both new, returning and current players!

Click here for 7 days of free subscription a free character transfer and more

Jurary's Avatar


Jurary
12.22.2011 , 06:59 PM | #16
Y'know, you can always use the gear you craft for yourself. When more people hit 50, and start making more cash, they will mlevel alts and will want them maxed out along the way, so they'll turn into bigspender for low level crafted stuff.
"I'm a Marauder, thus I will destroy you"

Saldrex's Avatar


Saldrex
12.22.2011 , 07:15 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by deserttfoxx View Post
Heres the thing, in other games you can usually level crafting knowing you wont make a dime until max level, but you wouldnt lose any money either if you were willing to spend the hours running around and clicking nodes. in this game however You cannot do that, you ahve to spend thousands of credits just to level up crafting, there are no other MMOs ive played where it costs this much money just to progress the trade.
You need to spend the same amount as any other game to raise your crafting profession. The only cost for leveling it is the price of the training of the new recipes which is the same as quite a few others. In no way do you need blue or purple mats to raise it to max level. There are still greens you can craft. If you were forced into needing the mats to raise the profession I would agree that it is much more annoying. I know I lost plenty of money just through the training of recipes in other games.

Quote: Originally Posted by deserttfoxx View Post
A system that caters to end game crafting ONLY is the old tired way of doing things, it completely sucks and it completely negates crafters as a whole in and of itself. Look im not asking for some kind of final fantasy 14 sandbox where i become a vendor myself, but i do want to be able to make gear at all levels that people actually give a damn about.
Sadly I feel people have to not give a damn about the gear or leveling would be too taxing on people who did not take the profs as well as new people who are forced to get items from crafters in order to level. The only incentive to me should be wanting gear above par which this game already does. And sadly it seems not many want to be above par.

There really is no good balance for crafted gear at low levels without making it unnecessary to level.

Enako's Avatar


Enako
12.22.2011 , 07:25 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhothon View Post
You may be right. Reduce the number of mods available to increase the reliance from crafters. .
yes. hamper gameplay of people so that they will have to oblige with your preferred gameplay.

people may not be wanting to spend their cash to satiate the players who are wanting to be crafting.

ever thought of that ?

how about they implement the wow system that forces you to regularly go on 20 man raids in order to craft anything that can sell for noticeable cash instead ? huh ?

Cortechs's Avatar


Cortechs
12.22.2011 , 07:37 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by deserttfoxx View Post
Id love to put the effort in to test this theory, however will not. There is a commendation vendor on every planet, the same can not be said for GTN kiosks., besides what am i supposed to do with these 67 tatooine commendations if not spend them on mods?

See the problem?

I think the only people buying epics are the ones who dont understand how Orange gear + mods work in this game.
Just to be clear here, that Skill Barrel 10 that I listed is the blue barrel, not the purple one.

And you can always buy augment boxes for 25 commendations, or buy new orange gear pieces with them.

Anundir's Avatar


Anundir
12.22.2011 , 07:41 PM | #20
Here is the thing that frustrates me about Cybertech (I have 380 skill currently) is that I can't find any defensive mod schematics. The trainer sells offensive mods ONLY. NPCs drop defensive mods in armor and they are given as quest rewards.

Also, why do all the mod names change around level 33? There was a Guardian mod prior to that but it disapeared at that time. Either let us make all the mods that NPCs are giving out and dropping (In Orange armor) or scrap the skill. Because at this point I am POd that I raised this skill to be able to make an Armor slot I coulda bought with commendations and inferior mods...