Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The head start is storing up future frustration for all of the player base

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
The head start is storing up future frustration for all of the player base

Foambreaker
12.14.2013 , 09:49 AM | #21
Agreed with OP, anyone who has not already started may as well not unless they like being fodder for maxed out ships.

Probably the worst designed PvP I have seen in a long time.
1) Not enough participation to implement matchmaking, the Q times would be horrible
2) Huge gear gap between new players and existing players
3) No PvE component where people can learn the basics, so basically new players have to lrn2fly while being farmed by existing players

Reminds me of a game called EVE, the whole game is basically designed to feed new players has fodder to the existing "bitter vets".

MalakaiCaine
12.14.2013 , 09:52 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Lymain View Post
Some of my most dominant games have come on alts with few (if any) upgrades. Subscribers will be way ahead of other players in terms of experience, but I doubt the actual ship upgrades will matter much with how the matchmaking works.
not necessarily.

i've said it b4, but i'll say it again, wait until it's open to everyone, and all the vets from other games in the s[ace combat genre who are old hands come play as prefs or f2p's and murder everyone in their un upgraded basic novas / bolts, guards / rycers

MalakaiCaine
12.14.2013 , 09:54 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
Agreed with OP, anyone who has not already started may as well not unless they like being fodder for maxed out ships.

1) Not enough participation to implement matchmaking, the Q times would be horrible
3) No PvE component where people can learn the basics, so basically new players have to lrn2fly while being farmed by existing players

Reminds me of a game called EVE, the whole game is basically designed to feed new players has fodder to the existing "bitter vets".

>yfw i trollkill players with far more heavily upg'd ships in my comparatively base ships.

Lymain
12.14.2013 , 10:37 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by MalakaiCaine View Post
not necessarily.

i've said it b4, but i'll say it again, wait until it's open to everyone, and all the vets from other games in the s[ace combat genre who are old hands come play as prefs or f2p's and murder everyone in their un upgraded basic novas / bolts, guards / rycers
Yes, experience in other space sims (and even regular flight sims) is very significant. However, I doubt we'll see a huge influx of people just for GSF...Bioware would love it if we do, though.

MalakaiCaine
12.14.2013 , 10:45 AM | #25
Yes, experience in other space sims (and even regular flight sims) is very significant. However, I doubt we'll see a huge influx of people just for GSF...Bioware would love it if we do, though.
you forget just how hard up gamers are for space, since devs tried to kill it off as too hard to do well, and publishers tried to kill of the genre because >muh profit margins arn't 300% plus!

we have star citizen... orr........ star citizen, since the 'new x' is a total PoS.

demotivator
12.14.2013 , 11:12 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post

There is no huge gear gap. All the upgrades that you can get are obviously nice to have but they are not OP., they don't magically make you become a beast. So gear is hardly an issue.

Good players don't need these upgrades and can be already deadly with starter components. Bad players even fully upgraded will still be as bad.
Randomizing your forums.

Svarthrafn
12.14.2013 , 11:53 AM | #27
I hopped into the Strike last night, which I have only purchased one upgrade for (cluster missiles), after flying a scout for the past week or so almost exclusively.

I had no problem racking up kills. While the upgrades are nice to have, they are in no way neccessary. Plus there will be all sorts of F2P players in the same boat as they are, who won't be ahead at all.

Mallorik
12.14.2013 , 12:25 PM | #28
Having only keyboard and mouse controls is seriously going to limit the amount of space and flight sim people even trying out this game.

willfarlow
12.14.2013 , 12:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by demotivator View Post
There is no huge gear gap. All the upgrades that you can get are obviously nice to have but they are not OP., they don't magically make you become a beast. So gear is hardly an issue.

Good players don't need these upgrades and can be already deadly with starter components. Bad players even fully upgraded will still be as bad.
I agree to an extent...I don't think the gear gap is really a big deal, I don't even think that a SKILL gap is that big a deal, I think that the GROUP experience, players who have played together for a while and work well as a team, makes the most difference.
As a player who has mostly queued solo so far, it's lonely out there without a wingman...
But that's my look-out, really. That's just a risk you take trying to go solo on PVP. I'd be willing to bet that a solid group that plays together all the time, in straight-out-of-the-box ships, will walk all over a bunch of solo players thrown together, even IF they have the baddest upgrades.
There's no substitute for teamwork.

AlrikFassbauer
12.14.2013 , 12:42 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by willfarlow View Post
I agree to an extent...I don't think the gear gap is really a big deal, I don't even think that a SKILL gap is that big a deal, I think that the GROUP experience, players who have played together for a while and work well as a team, makes the most difference.
As a player who has mostly queued solo so far, it's lonely out there without a wingman...
I have come to a similar conclusion. Plus, a group consisting of skilled players ... horrible.
<S-key to victory> Because flying with s-foils is more fun.

We are the result of our experiences.