Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The head start is storing up future frustration for all of the player base

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
The head start is storing up future frustration for all of the player base

Rykko
12.12.2013 , 05:02 AM | #1
I've only been doing the daily in GSF and it's clear a lot of people are playing a lot more and are well ahead of me in unlocks and that makes their weapons and defenses a lot more powerful.

Imagine what it's going to be like for Preferreds, F2Pers and subs alike having wins/losses dictated by how many of your pug team had early access and built up both unlocks and experience playing GSF.

It's not going to be fun for anyone and while subs should have been given something nice this head start is only going to cause frustration for them in the coming months.
Believing I am "skilled" at video games is central to my confidence and self esteem.

Helig
12.12.2013 , 05:08 AM | #2
Subscribing is paying to win, right?

Early access isn't done to put subs into an advantageous position - it was mainly done to alleviate potential stress on servers. Much like the early access for pre-orders on ROTHC and Vanilla game back when it was released.

Will subs be at an advantage? Sure. But what's the alternative? Nullify requisition/upgrades? During the early access period players don't earn requisition?

I'll personally make a point of starting a brand new Hangar when GSF opens to f2p access. Because I can and because I'll have something to shove down the throats of the complainers.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Sharee
12.12.2013 , 05:14 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Rykko View Post
I've only been doing the daily in GSF and it's clear a lot of people are playing a lot more and are well ahead of me in unlocks and that makes their weapons and defenses a lot more powerful.

Imagine what it's going to be like for Preferreds, F2Pers and subs alike having wins/losses dictated by how many of your pug team had early access and built up both unlocks and experience playing GSF.

It's not going to be fun for anyone and while subs should have been given something nice this head start is only going to cause frustration for them in the coming months.
There are 2 times as many f2p players as there are subs (last time i saw the statistic). That means the newbies will mostly be fighting other newbies, with a couple of vets mixed in (on both sides, hopefully). Shouldn't be too bad.

FridgeLM
12.12.2013 , 05:53 AM | #4
Matchmaking is, or will be, based on upgrade level. I imagine if it's not already this way it will be implemented before the preferred rollout.
<Death and Taxes>

Tenacity
12.12.2013 , 06:03 AM | #5
Here's something that I think a lot of players arent considering: there's going to be more ships.

We've heard that there are roughly 15 other ships being added (not ship classes, but ships within the current classes, and one additional class for bombers) when GSF is opened up to everyone. A lot of players that are upgrading their ships now will find a new ship that they like more, and then they'll have to start from the bottom upgrading a new ship all over again because ship requisition is per-ship and not shared. When you unlock a new ship, it starts at 0 requisition and with no upgrades at all.

That alone will level the playing field. Sure, some players will still keep their upgraded ships and have a power advantage (at least for a short while until others get upgraded), but not everyone will.
THE LYNX LEGACY THE HARBINGER
Lynx --- Bastet --- Pakhet --- Leonen --- Maihos
Shock and Jawa Full Metal Jawa

Rambovi
12.12.2013 , 06:06 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
Here's something that I think a lot of players arent considering: there's going to be more ships.

We've heard that there are roughly 15 other ships being added (not ship classes, but ships within the current classes, and one additional class for bombers) when GSF is opened up to everyone. A lot of players that are upgrading their ships now will find a new ship that they like more, and then they'll have to start from the bottom upgrading a new ship all over again because ship requisition is per-ship and not shared. When you unlock a new ship, it starts at 0 requisition and with no upgrades at all.

That alone will level the playing field. Sure, some players will still keep their upgraded ships and have a power advantage (at least for a short while until others get upgraded), but not everyone will.
i Like you xD

you are posting nearly everytime totaly my thinking =)
Gildenleiter "The Force "
Die The Force Community sucht noch Mitstreiter! Gildenvideo
Roter'Drache Vermächtnis
Youtube PTS Videos!

BoushhDC
12.12.2013 , 06:07 AM | #7
I guess you didn't read this part from the Lead Designer, Michael Backus:

We literally wanted to make the pool of players as large as possible, so everyone from level 1 to level 55 will queue together, taking into consideration how developed your ships are (yes, our matchmaking system will attempt to put beginning players with beginners, and more advanced players with each other—that’s the simple version).
All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved. --Sun Tzu

Lymain
12.12.2013 , 06:28 AM | #8
Some of my most dominant games have come on alts with few (if any) upgrades. Subscribers will be way ahead of other players in terms of experience, but I doubt the actual ship upgrades will matter much with how the matchmaking works.

Rykko
12.12.2013 , 07:07 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by FridgeLM View Post
Matchmaking is, or will be, based on upgrade level. I imagine if it's not already this way it will be implemented before the preferred rollout.
You don't have to play many a solo queued ground PvP 4v4 to know the exact level of skill BW has exhibited in creating effective matchmaking systems.

Those who care about gearing in any PvP system will take a small % advantage and let their skill do the rest but if you give them 10%+ in every department as they are here, you're asking for unhappy customers one way or another.
Believing I am "skilled" at video games is central to my confidence and self esteem.

Brewski
12.12.2013 , 07:17 AM | #10
In theory, new players will fight new players until they get geared up and experienced. It's hard to judge how well it will work with such a small percentage of the player base playing the game now. Wait until we see preferred players enter, and it will get a little better.

If, on the other hand, you are one who has already prejudged Bioware's ability to create a matchmaking system and found them wanting, then it doesn't really matter, since the same problem would exist with or without early access.

For myself, I will wait and see how it pans out over the long haul.