Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is It just me? Are Scouts a bit OP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Is It just me? Are Scouts a bit OP?

tunewalker
12.12.2013 , 07:07 AM | #11
All of you saying no the leader boards disagree with you, all of the top damage done, all to kill streaks (kills with out dieing) assist+kills on the leader boards were done by scout pilots save for 1 Gunship in the mix. The average Scout pilot is balanced but the moment you put a really good pilot into an upgraded scout, you have essentially created an un-killable wrecking ball, thanks entirely to speed, maneuverability, defensive CD's, and Offensive CD's. Distortion Field is the most OP shield because when upgraded it makes the scout un-killable for 3 seconds, and Blaster Overcharge increases Dps to the point that almost nothing can survive it for more then 2 seconds if the pilot has his power to blasters and is a good shot.

Zoom_VI
12.12.2013 , 07:12 AM | #12
If memory serves me a flashfire have been shot down by another scout no more than four times, but I have been killed by a strike at least a dozen times either from missiles or getting ion blitzed with the engine drain upgrade. And I'm not even going to go into the number of times I've been killed by a gunship slug.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Zoom_VI
12.12.2013 , 07:16 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
All of you saying no the leader boards disagree with you, all of the top damage done, all to kill streaks (kills with out dieing) assist+kills on the leader boards were done by scout pilots save for 1 Gunship in the mix. The average Scout pilot is balanced but the moment you put a really good pilot into an upgraded scout, you have essentially created an un-killable wrecking ball, thanks entirely to speed, maneuverability, defensive CD's, and Offensive CD's. Distortion Field is the most OP shield because when upgraded it makes the scout un-killable for 3 seconds, and Blaster Overcharge increases Dps to the point that almost nothing can survive it for more then 2 seconds if the pilot has his power to blasters and is a good shot.
LoL distortion field is available to everyone.

Also
Quote:
really good pilot into an upgraded scout, you have essentially created an un-killable wrecking ball
and
Quote:
pilot has his power to blasters and is a good shot.
I have never heard anyone say a class is overpowered because the top teir of players wreck scrubs with it.
Crinn

tunewalker
12.12.2013 , 07:20 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
LoL distortion field is available to everyone.

Also

and

I have never heard anyone say a class is overpowered because the top teir of players wreck scrubs with it.
it is not available to strike pilots, and what I am saying is a Top teir Scout pilot vs a Top tiered anything else Pilot the Top tiered scout pilot will destroy every single time with not even a spec of damage done to its paint job. If top teir vs top tier is unbalanced than the class is unbalanced since all classes should be balanced across all skill levels. This is not the case.

Brewski
12.12.2013 , 07:22 AM | #15
It's just you.

I fly a scout almost exclusively, and I die to all three ship types. Gunships kill me if they see me before I see them, Strike Fighters kill me if I assault or try to hold a capture point, and scouts kill me if I try to run.

Now, I also kill all three. I kill gunships if I see them before they see me, Strike Fighters if I catch them in the open, and Scouts if they try to run.

All in all, I would say all three are pretty balanced.

mr_sim
12.12.2013 , 07:25 AM | #16
I feel like I'm seeing agreement to the point I'm trying to make:

Scout are out of balance, and other classes risk abandonment because of it.

you've said:
- best way to kill a scout is team up agreed this is simply true with any class as well. However it's also true if scouts team up and If more and more are flying scouts that means that you need to generate a lot of 2-1 odds to keep up with them. Also I could bring up the 4 man que limit but that's for another thread.

-Scouts can buff into near invulnerability for short periods. So that means much higher odds above even when entering a head to head fight. In simple starfighter theory a "scout" should have to jink in a head on head to survive it, but not here just buff your shield sand buff your lasers and fly dead straight. This is a problem.

-Scouts have the most control of when they do or do not have to fight This one makes sense it's as it should be, this should be the primary and really only advantage to scout class. Sadly it seems to be one of many.

What I see is Scouts are at the top of the food chain. In my play I encounter this problem or that and think of which class and build is best for defeating it, then someone just tells me they can solve it with their fairly generic scout build and dodge their way in and take out the problem.

So it feels like other classes are less relevant. Personally I don't like flying scout it doesn't fit me, the only thing keeping me in my strike fighter is the fact that I can still enjoy flying even if it father down the boards. If GSF develops into more team vs team or everyone does go all scouts all the time, these balances must be addressed.

Zoom_VI
12.12.2013 , 07:33 AM | #17
it is not available to strike pilots, and what I am saying is a Top teir Scout pilot vs a Top tiered anything else Pilot the Top tiered scout pilot will destroy every single time with not even a spec of damage done to its paint job. If top teir vs top tier is unbalanced than the class is unbalanced since all classes should be balanced across all skill levels. This is not the case.
Well considering I play a scout and I get shot down by strikes way more than I get shot down by other scouts. I will also point out that the leaderboards are comprised of one-in-a-million matches - I have played with some of those players and they don't get half as many kills on a regular basis.

To me gunships are overpowered because 70% of my deaths are from them, I also think many skilled dogfighters gravitate to scouts particularly flashfires b/c its a craft that is entirely dependent on the pilots skill for both its survivability and kills rather than the other two which depend on cheap tricks like missiles and railguns.
Crinn

tunewalker
12.12.2013 , 07:42 AM | #18
Well considering I play a scout and I get shot down by strikes way more than I get shot down by other scouts. I will also point out that the leaderboards are comprised of one-in-a-million matches - I have played with some of those players and they don't get half as many kills on a regular basis.

To me gunships are overpowered because 70% of my deaths are from them, I also think many skilled dogfighters gravitate to scouts particularly flashfires b/c its a craft that is entirely dependent on the pilots skill for both its survivability and kills rather than the other two which depend on cheap tricks like missiles and railguns.
And I play on a server where I have seen a couple of skilled Scout pilots average 50k damage done a game with 12-20 kills and 0-3 deaths (the only time they die is when I take to head-hunting them with 2 other pilots with me a good 15-20KM away from the node because they draw us out there and it takes the 3 of us a good minute to even land a shot on the guy between retro-thrusters the evasion Companion ability and the evasion shields constantly breaking missles locks and evading laser fire).

Zoom_VI
12.12.2013 , 07:45 AM | #19
And I play on a server where I have seen a couple of skilled Scout pilots average 50k damage done a game with 12-20 kills and 0-3 deaths (the only time they die is when I take to head-hunting them with 2 other pilots with me a good 15-20KM away from the node because they draw us out there and it takes the 3 of us a good minute to even land a shot on the guy between retro-thrusters the evasion Companion ability and the evasion shields constantly breaking missles locks and evading laser fire).
I smell large quatitiies of L2P. On a strike one hit from ion completely destroys a Scout's shields and two blaster hits to the scout's nonexistent hull are fatal. The only thing that keeps a scout alive is its pilot's skill. Peroid. If the scouts are not being shot down its because they are being attacked by lesser players.

You could also roll a gunship and just laugh while you one-shot the scouts from 15km away
Crinn

tunewalker
12.12.2013 , 07:50 AM | #20
I smell large quatitiies of L2P. On a strike one hit from ion completely destroys a Scout's shields and two blaster hits to the scout's nonexistent hull are fatal. The only thing that keeps a scout alive is its pilot's skill. Peroid. If the scouts are not being shot down its because they are being attacked by lesser players.

You could also roll a gunship and just laugh while you one-shot the scouts from 15km away
I usually average around 30-40k damage done and around 8-16 kills in my strike with an average of 50% accuracy. The problem is the Evasion stat. Passive Evasion=34%+ 30% during retro thrusters which can be used quite often 64% chance to miss even if dead on, 34%+15% from companion ability once every minute for 15 seconds makes 49% chance to miss even if dead on add the 30% in from when retro thrusters are used to break missle locks instead of LOS and that's a 79% chance to miss. Of course every 30 Second the target becomes immune to all forms of attack, and can decide to out range the entire group for any time when these things are not up.