Directional Shields in a Flashfire/Sting

Brewski

Anyone gunship hunters played with the directional shields on the Flashfire/Sting? I've been thinking the only time I have real trouble with a gunship is when they park in a wide open space instead of up against an asteroid or wall. Lacking an approach with cover, if they see me, they can one shot me. It essentially comes down to a race and a question of their ability to shoot straight.

So I was thinking I switched to using the directional shields, when that comes up I can double front the shields and take one blast, which should be all they have time for. Not having used them at all, though, I'm not sure what the downsides are minus someone coming up behind me and killing me while I do it.

Are they easy to use? Any downsides besides the obvious lack of extra regeneration (which is partially offset by the higher shield value)?

I've been debating using them in my flashfire as well though it's not getting as much use right now cause mine is bugged and I can't change crew members.

I do use directional on my strikes though. First of all one nice thing is you get 30% more shield than you're used to. Your shield skill becomes change shield direction. There's a slight cooldown on the ability(like 0.5 seconds). Each time you hit it shifts in order double rear > double front > equalized and then repeats.

You have to be careful because when you double them up the other arc only gets a red arc when you have shield power boosted. Otherwise I think it's nothing. So you need to be continually concerned with what your shields are focused to and adjust them regularly.

with a large reactor and doc i have a shieldpool of 1820 on my flashfire, switches this to the front (175% pool and reg) gives you ~ >3000 shieldpool, enough to live 2 max hits from a full upgraded slug(nonkrit) and onehits from behind lol^^ Edited by Luckyluzi

Yeah, I've been running the numbers, and it looks like using directional shields is actually a decent counter to gunships in general. The 30% shield buff almost negates the Bypass bonus, meaning that with Reinforced armor and Directional shields set to balanced you can't be one-shot by a gunship from any direction without both Bypass active and a Critical. So even if you never actually redirect them, they are worth carrying on a gunship hunter.

So now I know what my next unlock is going to be. :p

I like them on Flashfire. No -30% capacity penalty makes a difference. And upgrades can further increase capacity and lower regen time by 3 seconds (paired with turbo is awesome!) My main issue is it goes to rear first, then forward. I wish you could change which direction powers first.... that ,05 second delay can be a lot. Just have to get it down.

Distortion Field can still also be good, albeit short, you can get near invuln as you head straight at a gunship. But I like beefier shields direct shields gets you. Quick-charge w/ regen under fire upgrade can be great too. All 3 options can be viable imo.

I wish you could change which direction powers first.... that ,05 second delay can be a lot. Just have to get it down.

It'd be nice if they just made keybindings for it. Just add 3 new keybinds, set shield front/rear/balanced and the keys only work when you have a directional shield equipped. Basically exactly what you have for power settings(engine/shield/weapon/default).

It'd be nice if they just made keybindings for it. Just add 3 new keybinds, set shield front/rear/balanced and the keys only work when you have a directional shield equipped. Basically exactly what you have for power settings(engine/shield/weapon/default).

I support this. It would make it so much more usable and user friendly.