Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Underwhelmed by Galactic Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Underwhelmed by Galactic Starfighter

TUXs
12.11.2013 , 10:42 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ZavienUK View Post
I disagree, this might not be blatant pay to win but it's very very close to the line. The moment spending a small amount of money gives the same result as spending a large amount of time, then clearly you are paying for an advantage, maybe 'pay to win' isn't the correct expression but certainly 'pay to get an advantage' doesn't seem within the spirit of things.
So...XP buffs are also P2W in your opinion?

I agree that this is REALLY close...VERY close...but it's not.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

jstyrka
12.11.2013 , 10:44 AM | #22
I can't say enough and things about galactic starfighter. I think it is terrible design. Can't believe this is what bio ware have been doing for the last 2 years. Real let down. Will not be playing it

ODTONE
12.11.2013 , 10:45 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Oteefo View Post
You folks do realize that Bioware and EA are businesses.....right?
....and the "Star Wars Franchise" is a device with which to make profit.....?

Like it or not....this is the future of gaming and content......though some programmers LOVE to program, they won't do it for free....at least not forever.....

You want a gaming industry and new titles to play and content for those titles......yet are amazed that it costs money to create....?

Are you some sort of communist.....like me? Even I know the ins and outs of capitalism......
lol you make me laugh...
ive probably spent at least 300 bux since the start in subs and expansions
if that isnt an expensive game i dont know what is,
next step poker lol
so if the quality is so so people get mad actually BECAUSE they have spent the money to support something they would like...
thats product and demand the simplest market principle possible , and has nothing to do with youre brainwashed communism 1965 comment.
The i take any junk people give me is actually way more communist than deciding on a product you like...
so ive actually been paying the devs for people to be able to play free... lol and then get jaked by the cartel,
tell that to people who play for free, and honestly i dont mind the f2p i just think i shouldnt be forced to spend more than my sub for the ships or any content as a matter a fact...
its actually a repeat of the newer space maps and ship gear but in pvp, wich they said they would avoid the next time.

TUXs
12.11.2013 , 10:45 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by jstyrka View Post
I can't say enough and things about galactic starfighter. I think it is terrible design. Can't believe this is what bio ware have been doing for the last 2 years. Real let down. Will not be playing it
While I understand that not every aspect of the game is for everyone (I hate crafting), could you be more specific about what you dislike about it?
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

ZavienUK
12.11.2013 , 10:53 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Drebs View Post
Seeing as they've been dangling the Super Secret Space Project (SSSP--it had its own acronym!) out there for a year and a half, its almost inevitable that the expansion would disappoint on some level.
I just can't believe this is the SSSP we heard about such a long time ago. My personal feeling is the original SSSP was either shelved or severely cut back following the development cuts to the game. This is the SSSP in name only, I can't believe this is the product the original developers were excited about back when SSSP was first talked about. As I said there is nothing fundamentally wrong with GS as a content patch, and I was really careful to NOT get over hyped about it, but it's just a fairly average mini game, nothing more.

Quote: Originally Posted by Drebs View Post
My primary issues are that we only have two environments, and they're completely instanced. When I think about space, vast openness comes to mind. The environments they designed feel claustrophobic. If there's anything that's been missing from SWTOR from the start, its the open-world feel. Too many instances and loading screens break the continuity.

That, and the strongest element of SWTOR--the story--seems to be completely missing from GSF. I realize that could come later, but even something like letting us walk up to our fighters in an actual hangar environment would make a huge difference here.
You know I hadn't realised it, but you've just helped me realise one of the reasons it feels so shallow. I guess I'd expected something I could fly into and join in while flying between planets. To access it in an instanced fashion through a button on the UI doesn't feel at all Massively Multiplayer, nor does it live up to the typical expectation of the vastness of space. No actual hanger (I read something about my paint jobs being available in the 'hanger' so I really had expected an actual hanger to go to) and the total absence of any story or context. It feel a likes a console lobby - fine for a couple of hours fun - but for me MMORPG's are supposed to be about something more involved than that.

ZavienUK
12.11.2013 , 10:59 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Archellion View Post
To judge GSF now is sort of like looking at an acorn and saying, "This oak tree is really underwhelming."

Hopefully, anyway. I presume that, over time, GSF will continue to be developed with new features and maps and rewards and performance tweaks. I don't mind the slow, continual development process as long as the material that is released is high-quality and adds to the fun.
Sadly (maybe I'm cynical) I'm not convinced we will see that (but would be very happy to be wrong). From experience if you look at the pace of releasing new warzone maps for example we only see the odd new one very very occasionally (and with too much hype), and past experience and my general impression of the limited development resources (of which over half seems to be focused on cartel market content) would suggest once it's released it's will see very little further development time (but I would be so so happy to be wrong about this - please prove me wrong Bioware/EA!)

ZavienUK
12.11.2013 , 11:06 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
"Early Access"...not beta, but not fully functional either. They're still working on the other levels.
To me 'Early Access' suggests well early access to a finished product. I saw it as entirely a financial thing - artificially keeping it locked for non subscribers to persuade people to subscribe - which I haven't really got a problem with - it's a business after all. There was nothing to suggest it was not fully functional. I'm confused why anyone would choose to pay to get access to a 'not fully functional' product when they can play it for free a month or so later, perhaps with the advantage of another month or two's development time.

Mallorik
12.11.2013 , 11:09 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
So...XP buffs are also P2W in your opinion?

I agree that this is REALLY close...VERY close...but it's not.
You can never fly a ship and just keep getting req off it to power level another ship, Its P2W.

But more importantly this is a huge screw job to subscribers, did anyone think about what youre going to do when your favorrite ship is mastered? youre going to have to pay money to take req off that ship and use it on another ship.

To make sure more subscribers start paying them extra cash they are encouraging you to fly your mastered ship by giving mastered ships a 10% bonus to ship req.

Ive always said the day this or any game makes me feel like I need to pay them extra money on top of my sub regularly is the day I find a new game, this just might do it.

SawneyRath
12.11.2013 , 11:12 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by CarpeSangrea View Post
When the disparity is this large between upgraded and not, being able to get there that much faster by spending money is most certainly pay to win. Having an otherwise unobtainable advantage is not the sole definition of pay to win and I wish people would stop saying that.
I don't know what "Disparity" you are talking about. If you're a good pilot, you can defeat a fully upgraded ship in a stock one. This is a skill based team system, and upgrades give slight advantages. If you're a smart flier, you're fine.

Also, converting your Ship Req to Fleet Req is a waste of coin if you just spend the time to gain it through Dailies and Weeklies. People who do it are impatient and/or don't have time to grind. So they unlock a ship before you? Big deal. How is it pay to win?
Selique Lasra [Jung Ma RPvP]
Guildmaster of <Esoteric Order/Knights of Atonement>
~Star Wars Galaxies Vet (Scylla/Starsider)~

ZavienUK
12.11.2013 , 11:18 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Oteefo View Post
You folks do realize that Bioware and EA are businesses.....right?
....and the "Star Wars Franchise" is a device with which to make profit.....?

Like it or not....this is the future of gaming and content......though some programmers LOVE to program, they won't do it for free....at least not forever.....

You want a gaming industry and new titles to play and content for those titles......yet are amazed that it costs money to create....?

Are you some sort of communist.....like me? Even I know the ins and outs of capitalism......
Of course, I can't speak for anybody else but I'm well aware of that. But 'being a business' and 'operating ethically' do not need to be mutually exclusive. Indeed operating an ethical business that cares for the customer is a very valid business strategy - a consumer is far more likely to spend money with a business he or she knows and trusts. Why does my local sandwich shop make hundreds of pounds a year from me? Because they treat me well, provide good customer service and I trust them - I don't see any reason why it should be any different here.

I'm not amazed that games and content cost money to develop, and as a consumer I'm MORE than happy to pay money for quality games and great content. In fact if somebody is making a great game with great content I will WANT to give them money to encourage it to continue. What I don't appreciate is a business treating me like an idiot and below the belt money grabbing techniques.