Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Underwhelmed by Galactic Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Underwhelmed by Galactic Starfighter

Drebs
12.11.2013 , 09:37 AM | #11
Seeing as they've been dangling the Super Secret Space Project (SSSP--it had its own acronym!) out there for a year and a half, its almost inevitable that the expansion would disappoint on some level.

My primary issues are that we only have two environments, and they're completely instanced. When I think about space, vast openness comes to mind. The environments they designed feel claustrophobic. If there's anything that's been missing from SWTOR from the start, its the open-world feel. Too many instances and loading screens break the continuity.

The other issue I have is that ship customization has been touted as a feature, but during the game I rarely even get a glimpse of anyone's fighter. Either they're too small, or zooming by and gone in a second. I think being able to show off your accomplishments visually is one of the things that pvp progression players enjoy, but the opportunity isn't really there.

That, and the strongest element of SWTOR--the story--seems to be completely missing from GSF. I realize that could come later, but even something like letting us walk up to our fighters in an actual hangar environment would make a huge difference here.

They made some odd choices, as GSF doesn't seem tailored for fans of the ground game, and it doesn't strike me as having strong appeal to PvPers. I hope it turns out well, and I'm sure new players leveling for the first time will appreciate the diversion, but as someone who's been through all that, I feel GSF adds little in terms of what I want from my MMO.

Archellion
12.11.2013 , 09:43 AM | #12
To judge GSF now is sort of like looking at an acorn and saying, "This oak tree is really underwhelming."

Hopefully, anyway. I presume that, over time, GSF will continue to be developed with new features and maps and rewards and performance tweaks. I don't mind the slow, continual development process as long as the material that is released is high-quality and adds to the fun.
SYMPHONY OF BLADES
Casual Hardcore RP/PvP
The Force is with us... so it can get into all the best clubs!

TUXs
12.11.2013 , 09:51 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by CarpeSangrea View Post
This is about as close as they can get to pay-to-win w/o being able to outright purchase requisition.
The Fleet Req is only gained by PLAYING. Paying CC's to convert it can be equated to an XP buff, but it's not "P2W"...it's borderline, but it didn't cross it.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here What you get: here

ZavienUK
12.11.2013 , 10:15 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
GSF is live in a very basic form. The devs have already stated that is was their intention to release like this. Because they intend on making it a major feature of the game over time, they want to ensure that it works and is balanced before they start adding frills and depth to it.
As somebody who doesn't have the time to constantly keep an eye on the dev tracker, this is the first i've heard of this. If this is true I'm extremely disappointed. The emails I received invited me back to the game to experience this new 'expansion' (quotes because after experiencing the scope of it it I consider it a content patch not an expansion). The email said nothing about this being a 'beta' or 'preview' .

TUXs
12.11.2013 , 10:18 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ZavienUK View Post
As somebody who doesn't have the time to constantly keep an eye on the dev tracker, this is the first i've heard of this. If this is true I'm extremely disappointed. The emails I received invited me back to the game to experience this new 'expansion' (quotes because after experiencing the scope of it it I consider it a content patch not an expansion). The email said nothing about this being a 'beta' or 'preview' .
"Early Access"...not beta, but not fully functional either. They're still working on the other levels.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here What you get: here

ZavienUK
12.11.2013 , 10:24 AM | #16
I agree with pretty much everything you said, except for the pve part. Their AI's for the 2d ground game are glitchy enough...they'd never be able to implement one for space.
For me I enjoy all aspects of the game (i'm not one of those that has an intense hatred for one aspect of the game) so after doing the work on the development of the free flight system it would give it more depth if there was both PvE and PvP content (so people can do either or both depending on their preference). I'm not convinced it isn't technically possibly to make the AI work in this environment.

Considering you can do everything there is to do on GSF with a single character, I think they seriously dropped the ball with having seperate progression for alts.

GSF participation needs to be legacy-wide for each faction.
/signed

Mechanically, it needs work also. Mouse movement feels choppy and hypersensitive. And there's no slider for it. I actually have to turn my mouse sensitivity down in windows before playing GSF or controlling my ship with any degree of accuracy is next to impossible.
Thank you so much this, I'd never thought about that, I'll give that a go to see if it makes the control more berable. But that gorgeous force feedback flight controller I have sat in my cupboard is making me sad - It would be amazing for this.

It's been entertaining, but the shallowness of what they rolled out is causing the shiny to wear off real fast.
That's exactly it for me, I didn't actually get round to starting until the weekend. I logged on during the week but decided I was too tired to get my head round the complicated UI, after one evening over the weekend the novelty was already wearing thin.

ZavienUK
12.11.2013 , 10:25 AM | #17
Even if that's what they said I don't believe it for a second. They are following EA's stock and trade of delivering as little content at a time as possible while figuring out how to charge everyone extra for it. Ships with better requisition for cc's, requisition conversion for cc's...

I think it's very naive to believe they have some altruistic intentions behind delaying the other content.

Part of me was hoping that this time they might have gotten it right, that I could actually enjoy the new content w/o being nickled and dimed the whole way, but I guess I'm done with this company. GSF was the only reason I came back and I'm not going to renew my subscription.
I don't want to believe what your saying, but that was my niggling feeling deep down, I fear you are right

Oteefo
12.11.2013 , 10:30 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ZavienUK View Post
I don't want to believe what your saying, but that was my niggling feeling deep down, I fear you are right
You folks do realize that Bioware and EA are businesses.....right?
....and the "Star Wars Franchise" is a device with which to make profit.....?

Like it or not....this is the future of gaming and content......though some programmers LOVE to program, they won't do it for free....at least not forever.....

You want a gaming industry and new titles to play and content for those titles......yet are amazed that it costs money to create....?

Are you some sort of communist.....like me? Even I know the ins and outs of capitalism......
SW:TOR: The K'vos Legacy (Canderous Ordo)
SW:G : Oteefo / Axox / Voosrik / Oov Irfiis (Tempest - Valcyn - Radiant - Flurry)
Xbox: Paddayappa

ZavienUK
12.11.2013 , 10:31 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
If you do the daily and weekly missions for GSF, you'll rack up fleet requisition at a decent enough rate, and all you need it for is unlocking new ships or crew. You also gain requisition for all of your ships no matter which one you're flying (though notably more for the ship that you fly), so over the course of ten or so games you might gain 6000 requisition on the scout you always fly, and you'll find that you have 2000 or so for any other ships in your hangar (these numbers are not accurate, btw, just for elaboration purposes).
Sadly not everybody is able to do the daily every day, at which point the gap widens vs spending real money. I never understand with these things while they can't make it a weekly which requires x 7 of the objectives and gives x 7 of the rewards - so that people who want to do it as one per day over the week can do, but those of us who can't log on every day can catch up when we have time at the weekend. I'm not asking for the same reward for less time - just the ability to do it either as half an hour a day OR in a big chunk at the weekend to suit differing schedules.

ZavienUK
12.11.2013 , 10:36 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
Pay for speed is not pay to win.

You cannot gain even a fraction of a percentage of advantage by paying over that, what another player can get by simply investing more time.
I disagree, this might not be blatant pay to win but it's very very close to the line. The moment spending a small amount of money gives the same result as spending a large amount of time, then clearly you are paying for an advantage, maybe 'pay to win' isn't the correct expression but certainly 'pay to get an advantage' doesn't seem within the spirit of things.