Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's the best way to get out of the circling pattern when dog-fighting?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
What's the best way to get out of the circling pattern when dog-fighting?

Grimbot
12.10.2013 , 12:50 PM | #21
I'll second Retro Thrusters. Blast back, and by the time they roll out of the loop you can already have a lock.

silvershadows
12.10.2013 , 12:57 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Svarthrafn View Post
Scissors usually does it.
This, though it can also keep you in an infinite loop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scissors

Here you go, OP. Follow directions
IllusiaApocalypsaAraidia
The Cadera Legacy
Project Mayhem

Enexemander
12.10.2013 , 03:57 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by silvershadows View Post
This, though it can also keep you in an infinite loop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scissors

Here you go, OP. Follow directions
That was a really good read. Thank you for that!

silvershadows
12.10.2013 , 04:00 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Enexemander View Post
That was a really good read. Thank you for that!
There's a few links at the bottom of that Wiki article that can give you more explanation of other dog-fighting maneuvers/tactics. I've actually been pretty engrossed in reading them - I used to want to be a fighter pilot anyway
IllusiaApocalypsaAraidia
The Cadera Legacy
Project Mayhem

Yorumi
12.10.2013 , 04:10 PM | #25
There's a few links at the bottom of that Wiki article that can give you more explanation of other dog-fighting maneuvers/tactics. I've actually been pretty engrossed in reading them - I used to want to be a fighter pilot anyway
Yeah it's a good read, and I've been trying to do it before reading that cause I knew about it, it's just hard to envision what exactly you should do with the controls. Really a lot of the old school dogfighting maneuvers are pretty applicable to this game it's just a matter of learning to do them.

silvershadows
12.10.2013 , 04:21 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Yorumi View Post
Yeah it's a good read, and I've been trying to do it before reading that cause I knew about it, it's just hard to envision what exactly you should do with the controls. Really a lot of the old school dogfighting maneuvers are pretty applicable to this game it's just a matter of learning to do them.
Learning to disengage/reengage your throttle and reducing speed is a big part of it - and remembering that you turn much faster vertically than you do horizontally.

It actually doesn't end up being a fight over who flies faster - it's actually who can maintain precise control at a slower speed. Your goal is to make your opponent overshoot you (if they are faster than you) or to actually gain ground on him (if you are faster). You'll have to respond different ways flying against different opponents, so no one single strategy is ever going to work every single time.

Something I do is - use my roll keys (mine are bound to A and D) to rotate my ship (without turning it, difference between rotating and turning - think inversion) until my opponent is either at my 12 high or 6 low, then climb/dive to break the weave pattern.
IllusiaApocalypsaAraidia
The Cadera Legacy
Project Mayhem

Mallorik
12.10.2013 , 04:26 PM | #27
Kill the guy, bam youre out.

JimG
12.10.2013 , 04:41 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Galtin View Post
I have noticed the same thing about close range accuracy. Based on the tooltip your accuracy should be at its highest in close range combat (less than 1000m). In reality you almost always miss even when the lead indicator reticle is a huge circle. I have literally been on the tail of my target with it square in the middle of my sights and I can't hit them.

I wonder if that is an actual bug and close range accuracy is not working properly?
There's also an ability based upon certain crew members which can reduce a target's by 25% for a limited amount of time. So someone may be hitting you with that.

Yorumi
12.10.2013 , 04:55 PM | #29
Learning to disengage/reengage your throttle and reducing speed is a big part of it - and remembering that you turn much faster vertically than you do horizontally.

It actually doesn't end up being a fight over who flies faster - it's actually who can maintain precise control at a slower speed. Your goal is to make your opponent overshoot you (if they are faster than you) or to actually gain ground on him (if you are faster). You'll have to respond different ways flying against different opponents, so no one single strategy is ever going to work every single time.

Something I do is - use my roll keys (mine are bound to A and D) to rotate my ship (without turning it, difference between rotating and turning - think inversion) until my opponent is either at my 12 high or 6 low, then climb/dive to break the weave pattern.
Yeah I known you turn faster when pitching, and I don't exclusively use one technique. I use a bunch of different techniques and all, some work some don't. Hopefully we'll get kind of a dogfighting school at some point from people who know how to perform some advanced techniques.

Tenacity
12.10.2013 , 06:26 PM | #30
Honestly the accuracy needs to be fixed. I've been at near point blank range with an enemy gunship (me flying a scout), and NONE of my laser shots will hit, even though I can see them flying right through the other guy's ship.

The entire RNG system should be removed from GSF as far as I'm concerned. If my crosshairs are in the aiming lead reticule, my shots should be hitting. Evasion stats should all be changed to either reduce enemy accuracy (the accuracy of the lead reticule, so they have to adjust manually in order to hit) or an increase in manuverability and speed in order to add more pilot skill to the equation.

I dont like RNG frakking up what should be perfect dead-on blasts to an enemy craft.
Akeema Lynx Mirialan Freelancer