Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's the best way to get out of the circling pattern when dog-fighting?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
What's the best way to get out of the circling pattern when dog-fighting?

Enexemander
12.09.2013 , 09:42 PM | #1
Pretty much the title. It seems a lot of dogfights degenerate into this kind of circling game. It's annoying, and very ineffective because it seems like your blasters can't hit a moving target at close range. Generally I just pick a direction and boost out, and hope to juke them in some way. Does anyone have any tips on this?

Stongrel
12.09.2013 , 09:45 PM | #2
Dog fighting in any flight game, either air or space, are all about "circling". If you don't enjoy that, then dog fighting isn't for you.
What does the Churb say?

Xakthul
12.09.2013 , 09:46 PM | #3
The engine abilities are your friends for this. Hit the Koigran Turn, Barrel Roll, or whatever you have and get the hell out.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

Enexemander
12.09.2013 , 09:58 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Stongrel View Post
Dog fighting in any flight game, either air or space, are all about "circling". If you don't enjoy that, then dog fighting isn't for you.
This game in particular is not good for this, because there is a SEVERE accuracy penalty to close range fighting. You can't circle and then fly towards each other firing. You will both miss 95% of the time with your sights dead on.

So we need to find a better way.

Helig
12.09.2013 , 10:05 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Enexemander View Post
This game in particular is not good for this, because there is a SEVERE accuracy penalty to close range fighting. You can't circle and then fly towards each other firing. You will both miss 95% of the time with your sights dead on.

I agree. Dogfighting isn't very good in GSF.

So just use engine skills, use boost and objects to outnameuver the opponent.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Enexemander
12.09.2013 , 10:25 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
I agree. Dogfighting isn't very good in GSF.

So just use engine skills, use boost and objects to outnameuver the opponent.
I was looking for something a little more precise or well thought out than that. Obviously, I've gotten that far on my own. I just haven't played flight simulators much so I don't have a feel for the tactics.

Caernos
12.09.2013 , 10:29 PM | #7
I was looking for something a little more precise or well thought out than that. Obviously, I've gotten that far on my own. I just haven't played flight simulators much so I don't have a feel for the tactics.
Sometimes, and it's risky to do this depending on how far behind you your opponent is, if you cut your speed (hit X) they'll swoop past you. Again its risky. If they see what you're doing they'll just cut their speed too and blast you.
Cynfor Cinderheart and the Cinderheart Legacy: The Ebon Hawk
The FanFic Works of Caernos:
Red Invitation, Parents,
Beskar Bonds and Cinder Hearts

Phrase
12.09.2013 , 10:30 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Caernos View Post
Sometimes, and it's risky to do this depending on how far behind you your opponent is, if you cut your speed (hit X) they'll swoop past you. Again its risky. If they see what you're doing they'll just cut their speed too and blast you.
Combo this with Retro Thrusters though and you can set yourself up nicely. It does leave you a sitting duck for gunships though.

Sixgun
The Bastion

Svarthrafn
12.09.2013 , 10:38 PM | #9
Scissors usually does it.

Galtin
12.10.2013 , 12:26 AM | #10

I have noticed the same thing about close range accuracy. Based on the tooltip your accuracy should be at its highest in close range combat (less than 1000m). In reality you almost always miss even when the lead indicator reticle is a huge circle. I have literally been on the tail of my target with it square in the middle of my sights and I can't hit them.

I wonder if that is an actual bug and close range accuracy is not working properly?