Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any plans for adding new playable species? Togruta maybe?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Cartel Market Suggestions
Any plans for adding new playable species? Togruta maybe?

Saito_Hiraga
01.10.2014 , 09:50 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuxymonkey View Post
2014 , year of the Togrutas .

I want to believe it ! >w<
Me too

I'll pry for it...

JimG
01.19.2014 , 09:29 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Saito_Hiraga View Post
Since the Cathar was actually added Ive been wondering if there are plans to add new playable species, I mean there are more humanoid alien species that can be adapted to be playable.
This is probably one of the most recycled topics in the forums. Even though this has been discussed a lot and there have been Dev comments on this, someone starts up this same thread every week or two.
Quote: Originally Posted by jankiel View Post
They did say that If Cathar sold well then they would do new species. Cathar did well but still no new info and it's been some time now...
Actually, they did...and it was a while ago. From a Dev livestream Q&A way back in June:
Q: "Did Cathar sell well? New Species?"
A: "Cathar was pretty popular amongst the players. I think the answer is yes we will see a new species but I canít give you a time on it. We have a list of 3 species that we are looking at. It is not going to be soon as it takes a looooong time to make a new speciies."
See Dulfy's notes from the livestream at: http://dulfy.net/2013/06/10/swtor-pa...estream-notes/
I think its pretty easy to make the Togruta playable since most gear is already tested with Ashara.
I doubt it would actually be hard to implement. I've seen plenty Togruta male and female models with body types 1 and 2, heads, skin colors and face marks across the game, and the most important they have Ashara who is already implemented to wear most of the game's gear.
The only ones they had to implement now are the models for body type 3 and 4, from them I've seen none in game. But resources to make a playable specie from them, they got plenty to start from.
Wrong. There's a detailed Dev post about this floating around somewhere from a few months back. A player character has to be able to fit all the numerous armor sets for both genders and all body types and species like Togruta and Nautolan have clipping issues due to the heads. Ashara only involves fitting one gender, one body type and only the adaptive and medium armor...and they've experienced a lot of bugs with her as it is. The NPCs all have a specific armor for themselves and don't have to be designed to fit anything else. So it's not nearly as easy as copying and pasting Ashara or some NPC. If you think otherwise, then you should lend your graphic design skills to BW and knock this out in a day, lol.
Quote: Originally Posted by Alenaar View Post
It seems rather amusing, at least to me, they base their plans to implement new species on first one additional species that is Cathar.(
It actually makes a lot of sense from their standpoint.....because it's simply a money issue. They aren't going to spend the time and money to develop a new playable race/species unless it is going to sell well enough on the CM to justify it. Otherwise, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for them to go through all the time, expense and hassle to do so. People already have several player character options and they are constantly under pressure to generate new playable content, squash bugs, etc. If a new species isn't going to pay for itself, then there's no point in spending time on it....from their point of view at least.
Now without any offense against our Cathar friends, i find that one hardly able to compete against Togruta, which is, as i dare to believe and say possibly twice or even more demanded all around SWTOR community and it has always been, even before the game's actual release. There were different choices too, Nautolan for expamle.
Supposedly, the Cathar were the most requested in their pre-release research/polling. I don't remember seeing anything about that, but the Devs have said that several times when they were asked why the Cathar were going to be the next species. The Togruta and Nautolans have consistently come out on top in community polls since launch. However, keep in mind, everyone knew that Cathar were going to be the first species so they haven't really been under consideration in those polls since they were already being added to the game.
And this is the thing we can hear ALL THE TIME since release. Now with all due respect to everyone, SWTOR characters already look really similar. Recolored humans with different hairdresses, little spikes on face, Twi'lek is the only one who has something "really different".
Quote: Originally Posted by EnufThree View Post
And with all the promises the developers made for this game, you'd think they'd give us something more than : Red human, normal Human, blue Human, green Human, blind Human, Human with horns and so on.

Why is it that SWG did a better job with species than a game that was released in 2012? Galaxies had Wookiees, Bothans, Rodians, Mon Calamari, Ithorians, Sullustans, Trandoshans.... WAY better options than what TOR has.
BW has said before launch though that we wouldn't see Wookies, Jawas, Ithorians, Selkath, etc. as playable species for two main reasons. #1 - They would need to be a race that speaks Galactic Basic as they didn't want a playable species that just makes noises with subtitled speech for 50 levels. # 2 - It had to believable for the various romance story lines. However, we had Hutts speaking Basic in ROTHC and that was obviously done just to make the voice acting smoother instead of having them speak Huttese throughout. So they should loosen up the whole Galactic Basic thing. Granted, they'd have to record voice dialogue for all those class missions but shouldn't be too hard since you could get anyone to do the sounds for that language. If you're just space barring through the dialogue, you won't care anyway. If you aren't space barring and you decide that you made a bad choice in having a Wookie garble through a bunch of noises for 55 levels, then you can re-roll or you can purchase a species change at the designer kiosk.
Quote: Originally Posted by EnufThree View Post
Since before this game went live, several different screen shots hinted at more species being available. And yes, some will say "Those screenshots were from an early unfinished build of the game and you shouldn't have taken anything from it other than 'this is what the game will sort of look like'".

Well I'm a little pissed about that, to be honest. We saw Jedi Kel Dors and Togrutas as well as a Sith Chagrian..
That's quite a stretch. I've followed this game since it was first announced and followed it all through the development phase and participated in some of the latter beta-testing and I don't remember seeing anything suggesting that we would have any of those 3 species as playable character species in the game. Not sure what screenshots you're referring to (and all the ones released on the site are still archived here) but why would you have assumed they were all playable characters in screenshots and not NPCs? So you saw a couple of screenshots with some characters in them that could have been players, NPCs or who knows what and you assumed these would all be playable races despite the fact they've never said one thing in the over 6 years since this game was first announced which suggested that any of those 3 would be playable races? And you're "pissed" about it? Sure, sounds completely reasonable, lol.
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterLeavitt View Post
Bioware seems more interested in making new cartel lockboxes then anything. I hope I get proved wrong but at this point I'm losing faith.
I don't understand why companies ignore the paying customer base when we clearly tell them we will happily pay for something.
They've already said they are adding more species. They've already explained that it takes a lot longer to put a new playable species into the game than people assume....especially ones that have substantial clipping issues like Togruta and Nautolan. You also seem to be operating under the assumption that they will make a boatload of cash from a new species. We don't know how much the Cathar cost in terms of time and development. Obviously people are buying up CM packs like candy and they are making a lot of money off of those. Just because they aren't catering to your personal preferences isn't really relevant. Like any business, they are going to cater to the majority of their customers.

SgtJeremy
01.20.2014 , 06:58 AM | #43
I'd like to see Kaleesh if only because they look really menacing. Nautolan would be nice, Kit Fisto was my favourite Jedi when I first seen Ep 2 and 3. I was mainly a fan because my brother said he was lame, but I grew to love that guy.
"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
"Victory at all costs, Victory inspite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, their is no peace."
http://www.swtor.com/r/pqwT9F Want free stuff, sure you do.

SWLoveAngel
01.22.2014 , 03:44 PM | #44
We've already seen clipping problems with the Twi'Lek characters - but we don't play the species because we're worried about clipping problems with gear, we play the species because we like the species, no matter what.

So why not have Togrutas Nautolans eventually at some point? I want to make some Togruta characters on some of my teams of characters on some of the servers; and maybe one or two Nautolans. I like the variety of colors of Togruta NPCs and Vendors/Crew Skill Trainers that I've seen in game so far. I think it would be cool to make a Togruta Jedi Consular (or 2), and a Togruta Jedi Knight (or 2). I think it would be kind of fun to have a Togruta Jedi Knight be the new 'master' for Kira Carsen, after she had just been learning from Bela Kiwiiks - like a Togruta hand-off of one Togruta master to another.

Also, there shouldn't be any worrying over the romance factor with companions, as there had been an example on STAR WARS: The Clone Wars of Ahsoka Tano liking a human boy - Lux Bonteri, and him liking her back. That's at least an example of a Togruta female and a Human male; but I'm sure it could work the other way, as well.

SWLoveAngel
01.22.2014 , 03:48 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by SgtJeremy View Post
I'd like to see Kaleesh if only because they look really menacing. Nautolan would be nice, Kit Fisto was my favorite Jedi when I first seen Episodes 2 and 3. I was mainly a fan because my brother said he was lame, but I grew to love that guy.
I take it your brother didn't think it was funny when Kit Fisto was smiling as he used the Force to knock down the body of the battle droid that C-3PO's head had ended up on in Episode II? That's one of his most iconic moments. And later in the comics, he and Aayla Secura got very close. An example of a Nautolan & Twi'Lek romance - not too far removed from the romance options with companions in SW: TOR.

Machshoot
01.23.2014 , 06:39 AM | #46
+1 to the Togruta list! It might even make me switch to the Pub side

turtlesareawesom
01.24.2014 , 09:17 AM | #47
I would love to play as a Wookiee. Playing any of the classes as a Wookiee will be epic.

Adaliaya
01.27.2014 , 01:59 PM | #48
I would love Togruta to be added and I would buy it immediately. Already if character wears helmet hood won't be shown. Same would work with Togruta. And like Jedi Knights companion Sergeant Rusk or SI s Ashara Zawros, they could have auto hide head slot.
Please add Togruta

Adaliaya
01.27.2014 , 10:38 PM | #49
And when it comes to romance, from Star Wars point of wiew romance between human-like alien like Twi'lek or Togruta and human would be like romance between black and white person here earth

x_Dark-Jewel_x
01.29.2014 , 03:14 PM | #50
I have been a HUGE fan of togrutas for as long as I can remember, even more so since Ahsoka Tano was created, I have been hoping since I started playing that I would someday be able to play as a togruta. I understand that making the armor work is difficult and would require a lot of work, but with the twi'lek, I believe that it is doable.

Just felt like adding my voice to the requests