Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Close range shots do not connect. Whats the deal here.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Close range shots do not connect. Whats the deal here.

-Damask-
12.09.2013 , 02:06 PM | #1
Why do weapons list a DPS rating for <500m when every time I get that close to an enemy I rarely hit anything. Unless we are both at a dead stop any shots fired at extreme close range all seem to miss, despite my cursor being dead center of his targeting reticle. Especially during head to head encounters and perpendicular encounters. But get a little farther away and they start to do damage again. Has anyone else noticed this?

stevetsuida
12.09.2013 , 02:09 PM | #2
I've noticed the same thing. I'll try to do a screen-recording and look it over, to see if it's really the case.
I wonder if the Evasion ability somehow kicks in higher at close range (in a buggy way).

Darth-Malice
12.09.2013 , 02:40 PM | #3
i've noticed that also. You and someone else can get dead stop, 100m away from each other and 9 out of 10 shots miss.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

rbl_holmes
12.09.2013 , 02:45 PM | #4
I've noticed this as well... I wonder if they have weapon hardpoint convergence?

Itkovian
12.09.2013 , 02:45 PM | #5
I have seen that issue as well. No idea what might be causing this.

Also, I saw the same problem with locking missiles. You simply cannot get a lock if too close, just like lasers cannot hit the target.

This may be an artefact of our camera being behind our ship, and when someone is really close they're actually on top of our ship and so weapons cannot track. Still, it certainly looks strange.

Arkerus
12.09.2013 , 02:46 PM | #6
I was educated by the forums on this previously...

Due to the high angle of attack you (and your opponent) take a severe accuracy penalty.

This game isn't 100% based on simply hitting the lead reticule.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Avanael
12.09.2013 , 02:47 PM | #7
As a scout you can have overall 40% passive evasion with lightweight armor and distortion field. While distortion field have an active ability to give 75% evasion (if upgraded) for 3 seconds. I really enjoy it, to shoot enemies into oblivion at frontal close range while not getting a single hit :P.

Edit: forget it, didn't realise it's about a range of 500m
Souju - Bodyguard Mercenary

Dustotepp
12.09.2013 , 02:49 PM | #8
Some possible reasons:

1) Your weapons have a Tracking penalty to accuracy that comes into play any time you are firing somewhere that is not directly in front of you. So any time you are aiming at something while turning, you are also inherently less accurate. You can see the rating if you turn on detailed tooltips. (Example: Light laser cannon has a -1% per degree Tracking penalty)

2) If you are turning quickly or moving fast with a close target, the place where the damage number would have appeared on your screen can be out of your field of view before it pops up.

3) If you are *very* close, you can't shoot someone. By very close I mean almost touching. I don't know what is up with that.

reclipsed
12.09.2013 , 03:07 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Itkovian View Post
I have seen that issue as well. No idea what might be causing this.

Also, I saw the same problem with locking missiles. You simply cannot get a lock if too close, just like lasers cannot hit the target.

This may be an artefact of our camera being behind our ship, and when someone is really close they're actually on top of our ship and so weapons cannot track. Still, it certainly looks strange.
I noticed this with my clusters this weekend. A number of times I would be under 1200m behind a target and my missle lock would not engage. I'm thinking it's a server->home/ lag issue because I was quickly tapping lock-on, trying to lead my target (hidden GCD?)
I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Luneward
12.09.2013 , 03:09 PM | #10
We can probably also add in the possibility of client-server difference. Where you think they are and where the server thinks they are sometimes are two different things. GSF acts really smoothly for an online game, but I would imagine right on the edge of the firing range or right up in their face can potentially cause problems.
Steelwind / Kaillen * The Ebon Hawk