Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How terrible is a concealment Op in PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
How terrible is a concealment Op in PvP?

Lundorff
12.09.2013 , 12:48 PM | #1
Please:
I am going to sound very elitist here, but please only answer if you have some experience - at least +70 valor. I know that sounds harsh and I am certain many others have valuable inputs as well, but I can see from my own experience that you need a lot of game play to familiarize yourself with the class. I have a +80 valor healer sage, I am still finding new stuff to learn and improve upon.

And so I ask: Is a concealment Op completely useless in active PvP? Not just for guarding or ninja capping, but also for damage in the heat of battle. And would someone please link a viable build

Pyka
12.09.2013 , 02:51 PM | #2
Here is my two cents for what its worth. Its not a group or team type of game play. Your pretty much a lone wolf looking for targets of opportunity. If big numbers and a TON of kills is what your after this is not the class for you. Although you can fluff your numbers like crazy as lethality but that's another discussion.

Concealment is very stealth dependent. There is way to much AOE in group battles and its way to difficult to get out of combat when you've already burnt your cd. This in and of itself is a problem due to the fact that the majority of your dmg is from your front loaded burst from stealth.

I find this class to be devastating 1v1 as long as you've got your cd's up and ready. Select targets well. Vs. more than 2? its best to vanish and wait for another opportunity IMHO. However, even 1v1 if you go up against someone who knows what to expect from a concealment OP keep in mind its not hard to shut us down.

In short, if you solo queue and dont care to heal like me, I find my best way to contribute is to intercept and stop cappers at the begging of a WZ as well as provide continuous pressure at lightly guarded nodes, end goal being to ninja the node itself for your team.

Fun factor is a 10 for me but I do feel that my assassin can do anything my OP can do yet do it better.

Lundorff
12.09.2013 , 03:27 PM | #3
Thank you for a thorough answer. It was kinda what I was afraid of but also expected

I have only heard good things about the Imperial Agent class story and I really want to play an stealth class, so it seems like an obvious match. I do however spend all my time with PvP and all the negativity about this class has me a bit worried. I was hoping some of it stems from a L2P issue - perhaps it's a hard class to master, but still possible to excel in - as I am starting to wonder if that might be the case with other classes as well.

Just to clarify, I am not accusing the majority of Ops and their Republic counter parts of being bad players, but only that it might be a harder class to master than most expect and I am hoping the class still holds potential if one truly spends time with it. If a large number of seasoned PvP players still found the class extremely underpowered (as I read it) then it just might be a waste of time. At least at the moment.

Again, thank you.

QuiveringPotato
12.09.2013 , 04:53 PM | #4
I have a scrapper scoundrel, and a concealment operative both at 55, and have played both extensively. The first reply on this thread is pretty spot on, and I just leveled my assassin to 55.

Sins are so much better at virtually everything we do except maybe node defending (ranged auto attack/locking down a node with OS), that it's not even funny. In 30-54, I was 1v3'ing people with relative ease, and I felt like I was playing my guardian, but as a stealth class. Even in 55, I still was doing pretty good, with an almost-full set of conqueror and no augments (thanks bolster).

Concealment is still EXTREMELY fun to play, though. Just don't have high expectations. It is very much a lone wolf class, unless you want to pair up with another stealther, and then you two will just destroy everything, most likely.
Arvengis | Akanias | Mhyrah | Arcuneth | Tol'ika | Tarrāl
Arvengís | Celden | Larayah

The Ebon Hawk <Nerf Operatives> Youtube Channel

Sideblaze
12.09.2013 , 05:52 PM | #5
Basically, if you fight a guy one on one, and you open, you're probably going to win unless it's an assassin, but if ANY outside help, or ANY healing occurs, you lose, and your damage is nullified. due to it's DoT nature.

We used to be fine when BS had a lower cooldown and HS autocrit. (Crit chances were super high at the time. it was basically autocrit.)

I mean, you -can- do good with a decent healer, but at that point, lethality would serve you better, and at that point, you'd rather go sniper.

JouerTue
12.09.2013 , 06:23 PM | #6
picking targets adn the ability to run in and out fast from the aoe mess is crucial, and it's a bit crit dependent.
in 1v1 you can boost your burst with cover abilities, vanish, open again.
since good players are used to root ops healers, you are often caught and burned, it's an extremely funny class to play though and paired with a sin they hardly cap anything

Racter
12.09.2013 , 07:38 PM | #7
http://imgur.com/OGOzr2K
http://imgur.com/kSY6tyt
http://imgur.com/7dkq8G6
http://imgur.com/ZBezKKG

All but those last two are pre 2.4. The arena SS was from a team game somewhat recently, but we basically just queued to give the other team someone to play against and knew they were running double sorc. They switched to double smash and I got OBLITERATED immediately. Last game was on my fresh 55 scrapper in Makeb rep gear with no relics or augments at all. Concealment's damage is mostly fine. The survivability is horrible. DPS Ops are worse by a sizable margin than every other class in the game in that department lol

Currently if you want to run a stealth DPS class at a competitive level in this game, your only option is Assassin.

Lundorff
12.10.2013 , 02:15 AM | #8
Thank you all for the many replies.

I will continue working towards a con-op and see where it takes me. At least it can not get any worse.... right

Racter
12.10.2013 , 05:59 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
Thank you all for the many replies.

I will continue working towards a con-op and see where it takes me. At least it can not get any worse.... right
It gets much worse. It feels reasonably good from 36-54.

BTW, Warlord Op Mara and Jugg, Conq Sent Sin and Scoundrel. I've played the class a pretty long time and it is definitely at a low point ATM.

Can't get any worse is almost our catchphrase but it somehow always does.

Cordorian
12.10.2013 , 06:22 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Racter View Post
It gets much worse. It feels reasonably good from 36-54.

BTW, Warlord Op Mara and Jugg, Conq Sent Sin and Scoundrel. I've played the class a pretty long time and it is definitely at a low point ATM.

Can't get any worse is almost our catchphrase but it somehow always does.
As we thought it can't get worse the last time... they nerfed cover and buffed **** shot-> it got worse again :P
The whining about exfiltrate has stopped with arenas, but soon it will probably returns and i have a bad feeling about our a bit over the top healing tree might get us another nerf (why do i say 'us', i basically stopped playing my operative... still love the class though ), like increasing CD on cloaking screen or something, or weakening evasion.
The Undying nerf is just and indication of how bioware wants to nerf OP specs - by nerfing the other trees harder.