Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

please explain sensor radius vs. focus

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
please explain sensor radius vs. focus

Kuciwalker's Avatar


Kuciwalker
12.09.2013 , 07:39 AM | #1
Logically, this would be the difference between how far away you can pick up the target on radar vs. how far away you can actually get detailed stats on them in the target window. However, I can't actually remember any situation in which I could pick up someone on radar but didn't get the detailed stats in the target window.

Bstr's Avatar


Bstr
12.09.2013 , 08:24 AM | #2
Sensor Radius: How far away you can see someone and target them.

Sensor Focus: Additionally how far you can see someone in a small cone in front of you.

Sensor Dampening on the opponent subtracts from these numbers.

Example: My scout has 17k Radius and 17k focus. Usually, I can only see the fighter with 5k dampening sneaking behind me at 12k meters. (However, due to a bug on the Known Issues, I can see him at 15k meters.) If I turn around and face him, I can see him at 29k meters.
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Jr An'val: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: Bodyguard Merc. Bophia: Anni. Maurader Borbend: Med. Op.
<Republic's Hammer> <Reformation> Jung-Ma Server

Avanael's Avatar


Avanael
12.09.2013 , 09:01 AM | #3
It's coming from the communication sensor. If you're within 15000m communication sensor range from a friendly ship, you'll see his enemy spots too. That's why you can see and target some enemies even on 30k meters.
Avanael - Vengeance Juggernaut - T3M4
Ayanne - Deception Assassin - T3M4

PaladinSoul's Avatar


PaladinSoul
12.13.2013 , 08:31 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bstr View Post
Sensor Radius: How far away you can see someone and target them.

Sensor Focus: Additionally how far you can see someone in a small cone in front of you.

Sensor Dampening on the opponent subtracts from these numbers.

Example: My scout has 17k Radius and 17k focus. Usually, I can only see the fighter with 5k dampening sneaking behind me at 12k meters. (However, due to a bug on the Known Issues, I can see him at 15k meters.) If I turn around and face him, I can see him at 29k meters.
Hey, nice example, but can you give an example with sensor radius vs. sensor focus as asked by the OP?
I still don't understand radius vs. focus.

MCaliban's Avatar


MCaliban
12.13.2013 , 08:54 PM | #5
Radius is all around your ship. If you have 10k sensor radius, you'll be able to see enemies up to 10k away if they're above you, behind you, or to your side.

Focus is distance IN ADDITION TO radius, but only applies to the area you're looking at.

If I have 10k radius and 10k focus, I can see 10k all around and 20k in front of me.
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.

PaladinSoul's Avatar


PaladinSoul
12.14.2013 , 01:30 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MCaliban View Post
Radius is all around your ship. If you have 10k sensor radius, you'll be able to see enemies up to 10k away if they're above you, behind you, or to your side.

Focus is distance IN ADDITION TO radius, but only applies to the area you're looking at.

If I have 10k radius and 10k focus, I can see 10k all around and 20k in front of me.
So then what is the point of picking 2500m focus over 2500m radius?

Cashal's Avatar


Cashal
12.14.2013 , 02:00 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by PaladinSoul View Post
So then what is the point of picking 2500m focus over 2500m radius?

It allows you to rely a bit more on your radar to see incoming ships.
Knickers - Ebon Hawk