Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I am a pilot, I NEED A JOYSTICK

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
I am a pilot, I NEED A JOYSTICK

xOxDarkyxOx
12.09.2013 , 02:02 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
Yes a mouse is more accurate for shooting, but if you gave these ships real yaw pitch and roll it wouldn't be shooter, it would be a fight game. Which is what people asked for.
I suppose they can do what they want, but unless they take out mouse controls, joystick users will be at a disadvantage.

AskLyesmyth
12.09.2013 , 02:50 AM | #22
Ok, I will settle this argument right now.

What we need is a nerf-herding gamepad, my dudes.

Check me out, I've played lots of sorta fake flight sims in my day and I love 'em and the best, most natural way to play -- to me -- was with a gamepad. I will reference all of you back to Air Pirates aka crimson skies, which is basically GSF without cooldowns on your flying moves and more hot pirate girls, which is what this game should be. This game was made for a pad, it's got 4 buttons, two triggers and you need both thumbs to move. (And you'd use the shoulder buttons to switch power scheme.)

I dunno about pitch or **** but I do know they should probably replace joysticks on real planes with an xbox controller. I'd handle one then.

Hambunctious
12.09.2013 , 03:30 AM | #23
Yes, yes, yes, please keep excluding the people who wanted space combat in the first place. The sooner this experiment fails, the better. The rest of the game has already done that. May as well go for the matching set.

ArchangelLBC
12.09.2013 , 03:32 AM | #24
I really would like to see both gamepad and joystick support for this. If you are fine with a mouse then stick with it. I don't think anyone is saying it should be joystick ONLY.

Of course, as is usually the case, the mouse will provide an advantage to those that are skilled with it, but honestly it wouldn't take too much to calibrate the joystick to approximate it close enough.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Jaegor
12.09.2013 , 12:05 PM | #25

Ridickilis
12.09.2013 , 12:27 PM | #26
While I agree joystick, cockpit view and an option to fix my crosshairs in one place (instead of roving all over the place) would make me never want to leave the house and play this, it really does get better the more you use and get used to the mouse.

All I'm saying is just keep trying. Hey I was just as pissed off to learn these things weren't in here too, and I'm hopeful we'll see these things fixed in the future, but I figure I'd try to enjoy myself in the meantime. And if we know BW's 'soon' could be next August so...IDK personally I don't feel like waiting.

Gavin_Kelvar
12.09.2013 , 01:21 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Ridickilis View Post
While I agree joystick, cockpit view and an option to fix my crosshairs in one place (instead of roving all over the place) would make me never want to leave the house and play this, it really does get better the more you use and get used to the mouse.
Assuming that they did the fixed crosshairs in a balanced way (for example slight buff to accuracy in exchange for not being able to have as wide a blaster firing arc) I'd be all for that, especially if it came with joystick support. That might actually be the best way to do it since it would allow a player to set the crosshair to what plays to their control schemes strengths.

Ridickilis
12.09.2013 , 01:25 PM | #28
Yeah that whole firing arch mechanic is to blame there. On one hand I'll give them +1 for trying something new but after almost a week of it I still don't care much for it. Yeah much like you not saying they need to take it out, just give me the option not to bother with it for blasters and lock it in place.

AlienEyeTX
12.09.2013 , 01:28 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by xOxDarkyxOx View Post
I suppose they can do what they want, but unless they take out mouse controls, joystick users will be at a disadvantage.
There are no joystick users in this game. Therefore, no disadvantage. Everyone works with the same controls.

Having trouble? PRACTICE!
Forget about this referral link, . You can click someone else's. I'm out.

Mallorik
12.09.2013 , 01:53 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by xOxDarkyxOx View Post
That's funny, the beta testers are saying bw doesn't want joysticks because they will be at an advantage over mouse users.

And why do you care if someone using a js is at a disadvantage? its their choice to use a js if its implemented.