Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I am a pilot, I NEED A JOYSTICK

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
I am a pilot, I NEED A JOYSTICK

Criss_Cross's Avatar


Criss_Cross
12.09.2013 , 01:02 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
Mice are not made for 3d movement, they have 2 axis. This game has 3d movement, yaw, pitch and roll. I cant put it into any more simpler terms that that. If you cant understand it then this is probably not a conversation for you.
A joystick only controls pitch and roll. Also 2 axis.

Hitomo_x's Avatar


Hitomo_x
12.09.2013 , 01:04 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
Mice are not made for 3d movement, they have 2 axis. This game has 3d movement, yaw, pitch and roll. I cant put it into any more simpler terms that that. If you cant understand it then this is probably not a conversation for you.
this is nonesense, dude
how do you control yaw with the stick?
you dont ... do this directly unless you are in a helicopter

and as you may notice, this game goes even further by putting pitch on the mouse but roll
on the Keyboard

see, totally not your discusion

xOxDarkyxOx's Avatar


xOxDarkyxOx
12.09.2013 , 01:18 AM | #13
The GSF is basically a first person shooter game with a star ship skin on it. I find it very hard to believe someone can achieve the same level of accuracy with a joystick as they would with a mouse. I've seen "great" players on Xbox playing shooting games with a game pad but their reaction speed and aiming is way below that of a PC player with a mouse.

Gavin_Kelvar's Avatar


Gavin_Kelvar
12.09.2013 , 01:35 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Hitomo_x View Post
this is nonesense, dude
how do you control yaw with the stick?
At least on my old joystick you could just twist it left/right for yaw, move it physically left/right for roll, and up/down for pitch. In theory using that stick I could do with one hand what I currently require two hands to do. I'd take being able to use one hand to fly and the other for adjusting speed/power/abilities than the current system which seems far less efficient.

This all assumes they do a good job adding joystick support but still the point is with a good stick the controls could be much more simple than they currently are.

Criss_Cross's Avatar


Criss_Cross
12.09.2013 , 01:40 AM | #15
Not everyone has a twisty stick, and you still forgot your throttle either ways. Your original argument is moot no matter what considering real aircraft require two hands AND feet to control. The joystick is not inherently more suited to 3d movement than the mouse is.

IcemanJr's Avatar


IcemanJr
12.09.2013 , 01:45 AM | #16
need Joy support!!!!
SIGHT!
exSWG, Bloodfin, Korolev City, Bounty Hunter, Ice-van-man
SH-Alfa/Soul Hunters PvP Division

Gavin_Kelvar's Avatar


Gavin_Kelvar
12.09.2013 , 01:46 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Criss_Cross View Post
Not everyone has a twisty stick, and you still forgot your throttle either ways. Your original argument is moot no matter what considering real aircraft require two hands AND feet to control. The joystick is not inherently more suited to 3d movement than the mouse is.
I was assuming that my second hand would worry about throttle (along with power adjustments and abilities) while my hand using the stick flew the starfighter and shot. And ok if we want to get real technical everyone should go buy rudder peddles but I think the point of this discussion is the merits of sticks over mice (or visa versa depending on your view) not uber realism.

Yes I know not everyone will have a twisty stick, my point was that there are sticks out there that can perform more functions using a single hand than would be possible with just a mouse. I would assume that if a player didn't have a twisty stick they'd make a judgement call as to which control setup they liked more. I see no reason though that if someone does own a twisty stick they shouldn't be able to use it.

Mallorik's Avatar


Mallorik
12.09.2013 , 01:48 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Hitomo_x View Post
this is nonesense, dude
how do you control yaw with the stick?
you dont ... do this directly unless you are in a helicopter

and as you may notice, this game goes even further by putting pitch on the mouse but roll
on the Keyboard

see, totally not your discusion
Yaw on a stick is controlled by the twist. and planes have yaw too, usually controlled by pedals. Like I said, if you don't know what youre talking about why are you here arguing.

Mallorik's Avatar


Mallorik
12.09.2013 , 01:52 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by xOxDarkyxOx View Post
The GSF is basically a first person shooter game with a star ship skin on it. I find it very hard to believe someone can achieve the same level of accuracy with a joystick as they would with a mouse. I've seen "great" players on Xbox playing shooting games with a game pad but their reaction speed and aiming is way below that of a PC player with a mouse.
Yes a mouse is more accurate for shooting, but if you gave these ships real yaw pitch and roll it wouldn't be shooter, it would be a fight game. Which is what people asked for.

Criss_Cross's Avatar


Criss_Cross
12.09.2013 , 02:01 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Gavin_Kelvar View Post
And ok if we want to get real technical everyone should go buy rudder peddles but I think the point of this discussion is the merits of sticks over mice (or visa versa depending on your view) not uber realism.
Sorry, my mistake. I mistook you for the poster that said that mice weren't suited for 3D movement, which was what I was referring to when I meant 'your original point'.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
Yes a mouse is more accurate for shooting, but if you gave these ships real yaw pitch and roll it wouldn't be shooter, it would be a fight game. Which is what people asked for.
So what exactly is your point? That the controls are bad or that the game is bad? Because I think you just said it yourself, that as the game is right now, the mouse is perfectly fine.