Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"I can't shake em!" - Any tips?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
"I can't shake em!" - Any tips?

VoodooV
12.08.2013 , 03:19 PM | #11
sometimes it's a good thing when people are chasing you. the more people chasing you means less people going after objectives.

there have been plenty of times where someone's clearly honked off that they got killed so they single out the guy that killed them and try to exact revenge.

Well that's all nice and good, but you're probably going to lose the match and thus get less requisition because you're indulging in your revenge lust.

Especially when I play the broken gunship to get my bonus requisition. Getting sniped by a stationary ship when you're dipping and diving through terrain tends to piss people off so you get a lot of revenge seeking players after getting sniped.

It's certainly harder to evade with a gunship, but if you're aware of the terrain, it's still possible.

It's just interesting because I think more players are interested in dogfighting than taking/camping objectives. so when they have these game elements that take themselves away from that, people tend to get...angry and chase you down obsessively, ignoring everything else.

DarthVindictus
12.08.2013 , 03:41 PM | #12
You know they should have one all out dogfight brawl map though, just most kills in the time limit wins (I prefer that style of deathmatch to elimination deathmatch, sitting out an entire match isn't fun and you don't learn just sitting there waiting for the match to be over, but a timer and most kills wins you can keep trying and getting better.

Frankly the dogfighting and sniping are way more fun than capturing objectives.

AlrikFassbauer
12.08.2013 , 03:46 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by VoodooV View Post
sometimes it's a good thing when people are chasing you. the more people chasing you means less people going after objectives.
"Play the bait and get killed so that WE can get the laurels !"
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

zechio
12.08.2013 , 04:34 PM | #14
Stopping was a mistake. While going slower increases your turning rate, stopping is extremely slow.

What ship are you flying? If you're a strike or a gunship, and its a scout chasing you...of course you're going to get out-turned and out maneuvered ( assuming decent skill. )

There are some things to help. First, don't just flee around in circles. If you're trying to really get someone off of your 6, fly past friends. Fly in and out of friendly turrets at a satellite....and very importantly...fly to your cap ship. That thing has a range of like 20km and insta-kills anything that comes close. This has saved my scout countless times. Every now and then, I manage to really irk some people, and end up with 3 or 4 ships chasing me. I target the closest one and just head for the nearest cap ship. Keep your distance moderate so they stay on you, but not letting them kill you either. I usually get 2 that forget about the cap, and keep chasing me all the way to the wonderful fireworks show

Oh, and remember that speed boost eats a chunk of power to activate. You want to use it for longer boosts rather than short ones to save engine power.

Time and again on my scout I run across people doing short speed boosts. I let them get a little distance on me, then use 1 boost to catch up. I'll then have a nearly full engine power bar, and theirs will be very low. At that point, their only option is for something else ( Friends, turrets, or cap ships ) to get me off of them. Those that try to move in and out of asteroids, away from everything else, will slowly die.
Dark Lord Zemerick, Leader of Imperium Inferi, and destroyer of hope.

Remember the cookie!

Whitelightr
12.08.2013 , 04:42 PM | #15
Already some good tips in here. Personally if someone gets on me I tend to dip and dive, fly unpredictable to shake them. Most players arent that good yet and it works.

another fun trick, that works once in a while, is the old Maverick/Top Gun trick. If they are under 800m hit a straight line away. Soon as you do smack "X" and stop, they'll fly right by and theres no collide dectection between ships in GSF. Its funny when it works.
Darklightr/Overpoweredtech
PT Tanks
Select Few

renegadeimp
12.08.2013 , 05:01 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Whitelightr View Post
Already some good tips in here. Personally if someone gets on me I tend to dip and dive, fly unpredictable to shake them. Most players arent that good yet and it works.

another fun trick, that works once in a while, is the old Maverick/Top Gun trick. If they are under 800m hit a straight line away. Soon as you do smack "X" and stop, they'll fly right by and theres no collide dectection between ships in GSF. Its funny when it works.
Done that myself in my Gunship. Also, rhe reverse thrusters achieve the same thing, but much more satisfying.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

CTFoxhound
12.08.2013 , 05:12 PM | #17
Do a barrel roll!

renegadeimp
12.08.2013 , 05:15 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by CTFoxhound View Post
Do a barrel roll!
Time it right or you go face first into an asteroid.....
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

DarthVindictus
12.08.2013 , 05:32 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by zechio View Post
Stopping was a mistake. While going slower increases your turning rate, stopping is extremely slow.

What ship are you flying? If you're a strike or a gunship, and its a scout chasing you...of course you're going to get out-turned and out maneuvered ( assuming decent skill. )

There are some things to help. First, don't just flee around in circles. If you're trying to really get someone off of your 6, fly past friends. Fly in and out of friendly turrets at a satellite....and very importantly...fly to your cap ship. That thing has a range of like 20km and insta-kills anything that comes close. This has saved my scout countless times. Every now and then, I manage to really irk some people, and end up with 3 or 4 ships chasing me. I target the closest one and just head for the nearest cap ship. Keep your distance moderate so they stay on you, but not letting them kill you either. I usually get 2 that forget about the cap, and keep chasing me all the way to the wonderful fireworks show

Oh, and remember that speed boost eats a chunk of power to activate. You want to use it for longer boosts rather than short ones to save engine power.

Time and again on my scout I run across people doing short speed boosts. I let them get a little distance on me, then use 1 boost to catch up. I'll then have a nearly full engine power bar, and theirs will be very low. At that point, their only option is for something else ( Friends, turrets, or cap ships ) to get me off of them. Those that try to move in and out of asteroids, away from everything else, will slowly die.
most of that I know and I do, the main thing that is killing me is turn rate, but now knowing that pitching is faster than yawing has helped a ton.