Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Emperor-Norton's Guide to Watchman

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
Emperor-Norton's Guide to Watchman

Emperor-Norton
12.07.2013 , 09:05 PM | #1
The Guide is out of date as of the 3.0 Expansion, and unfortunately I have no desire to write a new version as I no longer enjoy the spec after the changes made in the Expansion.
Buff-Watchman - Sentinel - Pot5
RIP Macedonicus & Musco Fetish
WTT Watchman Guide in exchange for making Watchman fun again

Emperor-Norton
12.07.2013 , 09:25 PM | #2
Reserved.

Original Guide:
Spoiler

Change log:
Spoiler

AngusFTW
12.08.2013 , 09:15 AM | #3
Nice guide!
I personally prefer watchman in pve simply because i am better at it then combat in pve situations since i play a lot of combat in pvp where my mindset is just try get off as much burst as possible when not stunned which doesn't translate to pve.. at all! So i am much more comfortable with watchman since on a single target i'll do more dmg xD I do change to combat for some fights where burst is needed though.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
55s.
Bleezar, Bleezár. Bleezlórd. Bleezard. Bleezford, Bleeznaut, Bleezfatt,
Lowbies
Bleezbian, Bleezguard, Bleezdian

vid
twitch

Emperor-Norton
12.09.2013 , 12:28 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AngusFTW View Post
Nice guide!
I personally prefer watchman in pve simply because i am better at it then combat in pve situations since i play a lot of combat in pvp where my mindset is just try get off as much burst as possible when not stunned which doesn't translate to pve.. at all! So i am much more comfortable with watchman since on a single target i'll do more dmg xD I do change to combat for some fights where burst is needed though.
Thanks.

I learned Combat for PvE then used that priority for PvP. Pretty sure that works out a bit better. I mostly prefer the better playstyle, all of the little utility (better Camo, interrupt, Pacify, self-heals), and consistent damage that Watchman has compared to Combat. Plus Watchman has cooler animations

K_osss
12.11.2013 , 11:12 AM | #5
Nice guide! I have been looking for a bit of a guide since the QoL changes to Watchman with Patch 2.5. I mainly PvP but have been looking to mix things up as I've played Focus for nearly 2 years now.

Leafy_Bug
12.13.2013 , 06:28 AM | #6
Very nice guide. Must have taken some time to write . Good to see some input on this spec and in my opinion you need to emphasize its utility a bit more so people understand why watchman is our choice.I am a watchman player to the bone, have been since 1.3, but I will admit without any reluctance that combat is superior. I run with a 3800 dps combat sentinel in my late night raiders group and I have no chance to catch up with him. Watchman ramp-up time takes too long and in today's content by the time you catch up, the 30% mark makes combat pull ahead again.

Another drawback for watchman is lack of armor penetration. Granted our highest hitters are overload saber and cauterize but when your group composition does not have an armour debuff on the boss you will lose quite a bit of white damage. I do believe white damage for watchman is more important than people think and when you run with a combat sentinel and your raid has no commando, no slinger, no guardian, combat will not suffer.

You mention watchman is a dynamic spec and this cannot be more accurate. Having said this, I do believe there is no perfect way of playing the spec. Why do i say this? Well I pull pretty high numbers while doing certain things differently than you mention in your guide. You may be correct on the dummy where everything is static but when the boss is moving or you have to get out, gravity field on coruptor, i apply my dots with twin saberthrow on him, for example. There are these nifty tricks that you need to figure out on the fly in order to have the highest uptime of your dots.

Critical-
12.13.2013 , 10:14 AM | #7
I have been using Watchmen spec for a week now on my Sentinel and this will certainly help me!

But i have to admit 45/46 APM on dummy is alot since i hit around 41/42 and i consider myself pretty fast and ive got everything on keybinds.

No alacrity in my gear btw and i use UW SA and Obroan FR relics.

Perhaps some Alacrity in my gear?

But its something to work forward to!

oofalong
12.13.2013 , 10:18 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Critical- View Post
I have been using Watchmen spec for a week now on my Sentinel and this will certainly help me!

But i have to admit 45/46 APM on dummy is alot since i hit around 41/42 and i consider myself pretty fast and ive got everything on keybinds.

But its something to work forward to!

No, alacrity in my gear btw and i use UW SA and Obroan FR relics.
Bear in mind that TORParse's 45/46 APM includes any click of a button such as adrenals, relic, Valorous Call, Zen, Inspiration, etc.
The Shadowlands
Read my Annihilation | Watchman Compendium & use my model to figure out how to best gear your toon.
Read my Theorycrafting Articles on Dulfy.net
Confused by all of the Proc Relics? Check out my new and improved relic explanation.
See the best of the best on the Operations Leaderboards

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
You are correct Oofalong.

Emperor-Norton
12.13.2013 , 07:15 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Leafy_Bug View Post
Very nice guide. Must have taken some time to write . Good to see some input on this spec and in my opinion you need to emphasize its utility a bit more so people understand why watchman is our choice.I am a watchman player to the bone, have been since 1.3, but I will admit without any reluctance that combat is superior. I run with a 3800 dps combat sentinel in my late night raiders group and I have no chance to catch up with him. Watchman ramp-up time takes too long and in today's content by the time you catch up, the 30% mark makes combat pull ahead again.
I wrote it while I was bored over the course of the last several weeks or whenever I saw someone under performing with Watchman.

You are correct, but I wrote the Guide since I saw a dearth of information about the specs rotation. Not to be a tell all resource to every facet of the spec/class.

I will say I think they should remove the Merciless Stacks, because the opener is stupid easy, and also because it puts the specs performance for boss fights all over the map.

How does Combat catch back up by the 30% mark? From what I have seen Watchman is much stronger in the execute phase than Combat.

Zenmar
12.20.2013 , 02:11 PM | #10
Hey Macedonicus!

Great guide; you gave me some tips weeks ago and I was actually surprised you had not yet written a guide, since you're one of the best parsers for the spec.

Clear and well written, gj!

When RNG assists I can sustain 3.450+, but I still need some pieces to finish my gear. Not sure about my relics combo, tho. Currently running with a DF FR and a UW SA, what do u think?
Aldiar
Rebel Dream