Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How Galactic Starfighter could be better

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How Galactic Starfighter could be better

Htorihpes-Zarr
12.04.2013 , 12:12 PM | #1
While I did enjoy this new PvP mode, I was sincerely hoping it to be somewhat different from what was delivered.
As it is, the Galactic Starfighter is just "cool". Yet, it has so much potential to be a lot fun.
And that's my intent with this thread, to address what I and other players think should be improved or changed.

Let's start with the approach that EA / Bioware is having with this mode.

It leaves me with the impression that the Galactic Starfighter is simply a new PvP mode, while I was expecting it to be fundamentally more than that. Some friends with who I played yesterday, just told me that it is because the game is a MMO and not a starfighter game, therefore it can't be done.
But I think that, while part of a Star Wars MMO, the Galactic Starfighter could very well have the mechanics and overall gameplay of a space shooter game. This should not be treated like just a new PvP but a different mode altogether in SWTOR.
It could also have been launched with 4 maps and two types of combat, at least.

A good example of what I was expecting its gameplay to be, was something closer to this game.
Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Rogue Squadron II
See how you pilot a ship in that game, it was totally awesome and had a much better gameplay for the same kind of space combat.

Which brings me to how the piloting is handled here...
The mouse and keyboard setting is simply not ideal for this kind of gameplay they've done. Even after I tried various different key-biddings, I still do not feel comfortable in combat. For those who have no problems, good.
But a controller / gamepad option would be most welcomed.

Well.. and that's basically it. I hope that the developers take a look at this post and other users' replies.
Feel free to share you thoughts about GS bellow.

Viperswhip
12.04.2013 , 12:22 PM | #2
Practice in Freelancer, you can probably buy it for about 5 bucks and it is an excellent game. I will admit a joystick and visceral flying would be neat, but Star Citizen is coming for the people who like that. This is much more thematically appropriate.

JonathanCP
12.04.2013 , 01:01 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Htorihpes-Zarr View Post
I was sincerely hoping it to be somewhat different from what was delivered.
(....)
I was expecting
(...)
what I was expecting .
Your problem is there. Not in the game.

Essence_of_Light
12.04.2013 , 01:07 PM | #4
The thing is, this is EARLY access. By the time the expansion officially releases they will have more maps, more gamemodes, and another starfighter class. See the Spoiler tab below for proof.

Spoiler
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, and free CC unlocks!

mr_sim
12.04.2013 , 01:11 PM | #5
First off GSF is in early access state right now. You could almost think of it as a late stage Beta. Things that are in the works include:

Bomber class
Additional maps
Additional game modes

Also BW has stated that a 3D AI is a much larger development then the 3D flight engine they just released so if there is a pve mode in development it will still take some time.

davracahan
12.04.2013 , 01:29 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Viperswhip View Post
Practice in Freelancer, you can probably buy it for about 5 bucks and it is an excellent game. I will admit a joystick and visceral flying would be neat, but Star Citizen is coming for the people who like that. This is much more thematically appropriate.
Freelancer is still my favorite space shooter.

GS and Freelancer are similar, but definitely not the same. Freelancer's hud is simple and to the point, GS's hud has more moving parts than a swiss watch.

I actually had to reinstall Freelancer and play a little just for kicks after playing GS. I can tell you that practicing in Freelancer for GS will not prepare you for the pvp aspect.

"How Galactic Starfighter could be better"?

If it was more like Freelancer. Then it would be better.
"Oh yeah? Watch this!"

Htorihpes-Zarr
12.04.2013 , 02:06 PM | #7
Quote:
I was sincerely hoping it to be somewhat different from what was delivered.
(....)
I was expecting
(...)
what I was expecting.
Quote: Originally Posted by JonathanCP View Post
Your problem is there. Not in the game.
I feel sad for you.

VonFoxFire
12.04.2013 , 02:16 PM | #8
I wouldn't mind strike foils serving a purpose like in Rogue squadron....they don't even open to attack position in game.
Through fear we have conformity , through conformity we have civilization , through civilization we have culture , and through culture we give life meaning.

JimG
12.04.2013 , 06:07 PM | #9
It leaves me with the impression that the Galactic Starfighter is simply a new PvP mode, while I was expecting it to be fundamentally more than that.
It was announced as a space PVP game. Not sure why you would expect it to be fundamentally different than what it was announced to be.
Some friends with who I played yesterday, just told me that it is because the game is a MMO and not a starfighter game, therefore it can't be done.
But I think that, while part of a Star Wars MMO, the Galactic Starfighter could very well have the mechanics and overall gameplay of a space shooter game. This should not be treated like just a new PvP but a different mode altogether in SWTOR.
It has nothing to do with whether it "can" be done. Of course it can be done. They started with PVP because it takes a lot more development time to program competent AI for a free-flight PVE space game. Whether they end up taking the time to add a PVE element, we'll see.
It could also have been launched with 4 maps and two types of combat, at least.
This is early access for subs. It doesn't even fully launch until February.
A good example of what I was expecting its gameplay to be, was something closer to this game.
Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Rogue Squadron II
See how you pilot a ship in that game, it was totally awesome and had a much better gameplay for the same kind of space combat.
Comparing a space mini-game in a MMO to a space/flight sim game isn't realistic at all. Obviously if this was nothing but a space game, then they could and would make a better space game. Expecting them to make a full-out flight simulator game as a free add-on isn't reasonable or realistic.
Which brings me to how the piloting is handled here...
The mouse and keyboard setting is simply not ideal for this kind of gameplay they've done. Even after I tried various different key-biddings, I still do not feel comfortable in combat. For those who have no problems, good.
But a controller / gamepad option would be most welcomed.
Well, of course it would be easier for us if we could use a controller or joystick. Leaving aside the extra development resources that would require for a free add-on mini-game, they want everyone to be able to play GSF on equal competitive footing. They didn't want to add a free space game and then everyone is at a competitive disadvantage if they don't buy a controller or joystick for it.

Htorihpes-Zarr
12.04.2013 , 06:31 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
It has nothing to do with whether it "can" be done. Of course it can be done. They started with PVP because it takes a lot more development time to program competent AI for a free-flight PVE space game. Whether they end up taking the time to add a PVE element, we'll see.
I never said anything about PVE.

Quote: Originally Posted by JimG
Well, of course it would be easier for us if we could use a controller or joystick. Leaving aside the extra development resources that would require for a free add-on mini-game, they want everyone to be able to play GSF on equal competitive footing. They didn't want to add a free space game and then everyone is at a competitive disadvantage if they don't buy a controller or joystick for it.
You seem to be too much concerned about their costs and resources. Are you a player or a member of their staff?
We pay for the game, we do not have to worry about their money. That's ridiculous.
And I fail too see how much "unfair" would be a mere OPTION to use a joystick here. The game would still be equally competitive all the same.