Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Subscribers Need Cartel Coins to Play GSF?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter

JMagee
12.04.2013 , 10:13 AM | #11
Hypothetical Question.

If Bioware did not put in a requisition exchange option at all...how would you feel?

Would you feel just as outraged that such a conversion didn't exist or would you just get over it?
Personally, I don't really care. It's basically a "I want this now" button for people who can't wait to have things.

I'm not defending BW/EA but I don't see an issue with them trying to make money of people's impatience.

Anzel
12.04.2013 , 10:17 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Itkovian View Post
You realize that things like this is why you didn't have to pay an extra charge for the expansion, right?
No, I pay for a subscription every month. I would PREFER to pay for an expansion outright than be hit with these sneaky surcharges every time I log in.
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

Denerio
12.04.2013 , 10:19 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Itkovian View Post
Not at all, it's actually quite normal in the F2P model. Take a look at "general XP" in Mechwarrior Online, for example.

Because strangely enough, it turns out the goal of F2P games is actually to make money, they just do it in optional ways and through microtransactions, and by doing so can provide the actual product for free.

You can complain about how ridiculous it is, but the fact of the matter is without monetizing options such as these, we wouldn't have GS in the first place.
I am a monthly subscriber so your points are not valid. A simple feature like converting req should be free to subscribers and to call this an expansion is laughable. They shouldn't nickel and dime their loyal subscribers that are actually keeping this game on life support. This lack of content should of been free either way and not labeled as an expansion.

Nethgilne
12.04.2013 , 10:32 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
No, I pay for a subscription every month. I would PREFER to pay for an expansion outright than be hit with these sneaky surcharges every time I log in.
This is a strange definition of sneaky considering that the price is clearly stated when you initiate conversion.

Being "hit with" is also a bit of an exaggeration when you consider that this conversion is never required, and entirely optional.

I'd also like to point out that no one is automatically charged when you log in.

but let's ignore all that and summarize the gist if your argument: You would prefer to pay 30-50 dollars for an expansion you don't need to further the central game, over a F2P addition that offers entirely optional microtransactions for convenience? I don't have the numbers, but i'm confident this does not represent the majority of SWToR subscribers or any gaming population in general.

Kelremar
12.04.2013 , 10:33 AM | #15
As a subscriber I'd like to have the option to convert ship requisition to fleet requistion at a conversion rate of 2:1 or 3:1.

At some point my ship will be maxed out and then ship requisition will be useless unless I'm willing to pay CC. That sucks for subcribers. It's not fun playing a ship when you know that most of the rewards are useles unless you are willing to pay more.

Nethgilne
12.04.2013 , 10:38 AM | #16
The title of this thread is so far out there that its leaving the realm of hyperbole and edging the borders of outright lies and disinformation.

To answer the title: NO. Subscribers nor ANYONE needs to pay cartel coins to play GSF.

Aside from the extra 500 cartel coins subscribers get, they also gain ship AND FLEET XP at an accelerated rate compared to nonsubs. I think somewhere in the realm of 50% more per match

Tellenn
12.04.2013 , 10:38 AM | #17
Please this aint an expansion. Have you never played Star Conflict? This is a blatant dumbed down simplistic copy. Sure Star Conflict was heavily influenced by freelancer but it added tons to it. GSF is a glorified mini-game not an expansion.

Itkovian
12.04.2013 , 10:42 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Denerio View Post
I am a monthly subscriber so your points are not valid. A simple feature like converting req should be free to subscribers and to call this an expansion is laughable. They shouldn't nickel and dime their loyal subscribers that are actually keeping this game on life support. This lack of content should of been free either way and not labeled as an expansion.
And your subscription already offers you TWO benefits, for the EXACT SAME PRICE as before GS even existed:

- Early Access.
- Extra requisitions.

To continue the comparison with other games of the same genre as GS (MWO, WT, and so forth), subscription provides the same benefits as Premium Time in MWO, where you can pay to gain C-Bills/XP faster.

So no, they should not, on top of this, offer requisition transfers for free, because you are already getting MORE benefit for your subscription, which does not cost anything more than it did before. Indeed, now we can say that subscribers are getting a far better value than they did before, for the same price.

As for calling GS a "lack of content", that is self-evidently preposterous.

JPryde
12.04.2013 , 10:47 AM | #19
Quote:
In answer to the thread title: No, you can play without Cartel Coins. You can achieve everything without spending a single CC for it.

If you however want the QUICK way to new ships... then yes, you got to pay for it.. The same way as you pay to get HK or Treek faster.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Itkovian
12.04.2013 , 10:47 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Nethgilne View Post
The title of this thread is so far out there that its leaving the realm of hyperbole and edging the borders of outright lies and disinformation.

To answer the title: NO. Subscribers nor ANYONE needs to pay cartel coins to play GSF.

Aside from the extra 500 cartel coins subscribers get, they also gain ship AND FLEET XP at an accelerated rate compared to nonsubs. I think somewhere in the realm of 50% more per match
Precisely.

We're already getting much more out of our subscription fee, at no extra charge. That's a significant improvement.

And GS is definitely an expansion, though it is not complete yet. That's why it is called "Early Access", and why the devs have stated numerous times that more will come between now and February. Furthermore, it is plain for all to see that GS has tremendous growth potential, and could easily become a game in its own rights (but since it's part of an existing game, it allows the dev to gradually add content instead of having to have everything done before release).