Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR GSF Flight Stick Compatibility

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
SWTOR GSF Flight Stick Compatibility

dingwog
12.04.2013 , 12:17 PM | #11
I was at the Austin Community Cantina and asked this exact question. The lead developer of GSF said this. They designed the expansion with the a mindset that it had to be KB/mouse only for several reasons. First is they know everyone has a KB/M. They didn't want to make GSF a game that requires you to use a gamepad or controller or give an advantage to one group. Most of his answer was based around this idea.

I then was able to talk to him for about 10 minutes and by the way he is awesome and incredibly excited about what they created. I asked him about PVE and he said initially they worked on it but realized that the can of worms it opened at the time would lead to an even longer dev time. They decided to focus on PVP but hinted that PVR is a possibility.

He meantioned many times that these features will all be based on the popularity of GSF. If PVP shows a ton of interest,and activity then maybe we can get some PVE. The controller support will all be based around popularity and demand for the feature. He said I should start a forum post about it as he doesn't recall seeing many on the topic. I guess this is the first and we can see what kind of support we can get from the community. Even still I wouldnt expect anything for 6-9 months.

Mallorik
12.04.2013 , 12:18 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
The only time a controller or controller support becomes needed is if we have cockpit view.. Since we have 3rd person like the rest of the game.. We really don't need it and it would be awkward to fly in third person view.. :
That is just flat out not true. I fly third person with a pad or stick in other games almost exclusively. Only time I switch to cockpit is for fun. Cockpit view has almost nothing to do with control other than realism.

They just need to add assignable controls to pitch yaw and roll. the only reason pads and sticks wont work right now is because GS steers by dragging the nose of your ship around with the mouse, not by flying.

ImmortalLowlife
12.04.2013 , 12:53 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
That is just flat out not true. I fly third person with a pad or stick in other games almost exclusively. Only time I switch to cockpit is for fun. Cockpit view has almost nothing to do with control other than realism.

They just need to add assignable controls to pitch yaw and roll. the only reason pads and sticks wont work right now is because GS steers by dragging the nose of your ship around with the mouse, not by flying.
Agreeing with this 290%! The controls with mouse/keyboard are absolutely horrible. And the hundreds of post on here BEGGING for controller/joystick support should tell you that a LOT of us feel this way.

Me personally, I'll NEVER touch GS again until they add js/controller support. I wanted to like this sooooooo much too.
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

Arkerus
12.04.2013 , 12:56 PM | #14
I don't understand why people are asking for flightsticks AFTER seeing the design of the targeting system.

The targetting system was designed with the mouse in mind. In requires precise movements of the mouse, especially when using blasters. If you want to to fuddle around with a joystick or flightsticks, be my guest. Don't complain when you can't shoot anything down.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Arkerus
12.04.2013 , 12:58 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalLowlife View Post
Agreeing with this 290%! The controls with mouse/keyboard are absolutely horrible. And the hundreds of post on here BEGGING for controller/joystick support should tell you that a LOT of us feel this way.

Me personally, I'll NEVER touch GS again until they add js/controller support. I wanted to like this sooooooo much too.
The UI setup and targetting system was not designed with a flight stick in mind. I wouldn't recommend it.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

ImmortalLowlife
12.04.2013 , 01:16 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
The UI setup and targetting system was not designed with a flight stick in mind. I wouldn't recommend it.
Yea, that's the problem....the design imho (along worth many others opinion) stinks. None of my guild that tried it last night enjoyed it because of the controls. I WANT this to be successful. But the fact is they are going to push ppl away if they don't add some serious additions to the controls. If you like it like it is, then that's fine. All we're asking is for them to give us the option.
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

Mallorik
12.04.2013 , 01:16 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
So why don't you understand that if they just gave the ship assignable controls and locked the reticle that it would work like every other flight game. Because almost all of them do exactly that when switching between mouse and js.

-KeggER-
12.04.2013 , 02:25 PM | #18
I flew in SWG JTL only with a flight stick. "Flying" with a mouse is not like flying at all.... This expansion needs flight stick compatibility and optional 1ST person views. Again it needs to be optional, so if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.... It's mandatory for me though
Keggr - Pot5 [Def Squad] Imperial GSF Pilot / BH

PEW PEW to KILL

reclipsed
12.04.2013 , 02:32 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
Adding a controller to this would in many ways open a can of worms.. Suddenly people would want to use a controller to play their characters..
Yeah, having joystick support in a flight (mini) game is so stupid
I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Locerd
12.07.2013 , 09:22 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by -KeggER- View Post
I flew in SWG JTL only with a flight stick. "Flying" with a mouse is not like flying at all.... This expansion needs flight stick compatibility and optional 1ST person views. Again it needs to be optional, so if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.... It's mandatory for me though
I agree SWG space flight was excellent. Space flight without the ability to use a flight controller sucks.