Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Completely unimpressed

Shoraan
12.04.2013 , 08:00 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliteAssasin View Post
I love when people want to throw lines like this around as if they know what they're talking about. What the hell does being an "experienced software developer" have to do with this? Are you suggesting that the reason native joystick support isn't featured is due to a difficulty in implementing it? I hope that isn't what you were inferring with your comment, because that'd be the most erroneous statement I've ever heard in a good while.
I was referring to his statement that I quoted (I tried to be witty, hence using the word "experienced"):

"[...]I'm an experienced pilot, and experienced gamer and this flight experience belongs as a free ap on my kid's phone. Really.[...]"

Stating that a flight sim game of the size of GSF should be a free app on a phone is simply ridiculous. Obviously I don't have any real numbers, but my guess is that the development, design and test cost of that project would be something between 5000 and 20000 hours.

Regarding the joystick support, I believe that it was simply a design decision ("should we do it?" instead of "can we do it?"). Perhaps because of accessibility for those who don't have a joystick. Maybe a number of other reasons, but certainly not lack of programming skills.

PlasmaJohn
12.04.2013 , 08:25 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Shoraan View Post
IStating that a flight sim game of the size of GSF should be a free app on a phone is simply ridiculous.
No, he pretty much nailed it, this is whack-a-mole with spaceships. A very pretty version, but also very dumbed down from what it should have been.
IMPERIAL ELITISTS REPUBLIC ELITISTS
- Harbinger -
..... Azeuni, Danillia, Ophenali . Aleeluva, Izarya, Rhebei ........

Referral Link and Info

Gaudrath
12.04.2013 , 08:27 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliteAssasin View Post
I love when people want to throw lines like this around as if they know what they're talking about. What the hell does being an "experienced software developer" have to do with this? Are you suggesting that the reason native joystick support isn't featured is due to a difficulty in implementing it? I hope that isn't what you were inferring with your comment, because that'd be the most erroneous statement I've ever heard in a good while.
You do realize they pulled this off in an engine that was never meant for any kind of twitch-based flight combat, period? I don't like many things BW did with the game, but that's an achievement in on itself.

I see this as an obvious beta of the changes they did to the engine. Come on, we don't even have all the fighter classes yet and only two maps. So treat it as such, you got it for free.

Neoforcer
12.04.2013 , 08:45 AM | #14
Unimpressed is a under statement the lack of joystick control the control for that mater. They should of spent another year working on it making a square peg fit in a round hole make the control system meh at best.

Ridickilis
12.04.2013 , 09:04 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Shoraan View Post
Perhaps because of accessibility for those who don't have a joystick. Maybe a number of other reasons, but certainly not lack of programming skills.
Actually I'd really like to hear their reasons. It could't possibly be because not many people have one. We're not talking about an 80-100 naga mouse here, those logitech PS styled controllers are like 20 dollars. I've got three of them laying around that I bought just for SWG's (well two of them are partially broken from my own rage but that's another story). In fact I always get two, one for back up when I inevitably throw it against the wall.

Anyone that's played any racing game, madden football or other sports game on the PC will have one.

Kahyman
12.04.2013 , 08:16 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by lordofdamornin View Post
ODS? Who were you?

Rit
Khaymen was the toon's name, flew all kinds of joint PvP events (and even did some ground) up until the last two years of SWG. The wife (Sunkaisia) was even all about her Oppy and chasing some of the better Rebels with missile locks. fun times with good people on both sides.

And, on mature consideration: I can say the Devs did implement what they chose (or were directed to build) in good fashion. The battles launch, the fighters work well together in their roles. As some of the "witty" folks said, it is definitely not what I was expecting or even remotely hoping to see in such a large MMO bearing the Stars Wars franchise. Not digging at the folks who like it. Just an honest opinion to help protect the wallets of people who have the same hopes I did for this expansion...

I still feel it doesn't add well to the "Star Wars Experience", but that is just me sharing.
Khayman
ODS
Imperial Pilot
Kettemoor

Ren_simp
12.04.2013 , 08:26 PM | #17
I have a pretty decent joystick it's a "Thrust master" I don't get to use it as much as id like tho on special occasions
Sometimes my wife likes to hold it

LanceCorporalDan
12.04.2013 , 11:14 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ren_simp View Post
I have a pretty decent joystick it's a "Thrust master" I don't get to use it as much as id like tho on special occasions
Sometimes my wife likes to hold it
Well played sir.
Neves - 55 Vanguard
Dahkaras - 55 AssassinKeelaran - 55Juggernaut
Kalkaran - 55 MercenaryKallim - 55 Operative