Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Completely unimpressed

Kahyman
12.04.2013 , 02:12 AM | #1
This ranks at maybe 3 of 10 for a space flight game. I'm not even sure I can give it a 1 out of 10 for a Stars Wars "experience". Simply junk. Sorry Devs... I know you work hard, but maybe you should lynch your creative bosses or the guy who created the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned Focus Group.

I'm an experienced pilot, and experienced gamer and this flight experience belongs as a free ap on my kid's phone. Really.

You've re-invented the wheel but went with the square one this time.

Overly controlled flight area. Junk for flight controls. Limited to a mini game pvp match. Can't easily use a joystick (I got it to work with my Saitek Cyborg X, but this just really made me miss any number of QUALITY flight games more)

Yes, I can kill the other guys out there... no it isn't fun... simple maneuvers and having the computer do your Immelman's, Loops, and Rolls is just junk. You have reduced it to chase the arrow and click.

SWG (much as I hate SOE), WarThuder, Eve, so so many more out there with better concepts and execution. You can do better Bioware.
Khayman
ODS
Imperial Pilot
Kettemoor

Hitomo_x
12.04.2013 , 02:28 AM | #2
in case you dont know

this whole space.fight thing is a direct copy of http://star-conflict.com/

regards

Haruen
12.04.2013 , 03:00 AM | #3
Sounds like you were expecting a completely different game.

I don't play a ton of starfighter games, not my thing. Some free flight mixed with my MMO? Yes, please. This reminds me of the flight level in Halo: Reach. I didn't care for it there, as it seemed shoe-horned in. But here, this seems just the right complexity and just the right side.

For someone who hated it, I was surprised you included "Imperial Pilot" in your sig. Hopefully you can find a full joystiq free flight space game. This isn't it, and clearly won't be.

lordofdamornin
12.04.2013 , 03:11 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kahyman View Post
This ranks at maybe 3 of 10 for a space flight game. I'm not even sure I can give it a 1 out of 10 for a Stars Wars "experience". Simply junk. Sorry Devs... I know you work hard, but maybe you should lynch your creative bosses or the guy who created the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned Focus Group.

I'm an experienced pilot, and experienced gamer and this flight experience belongs as a free ap on my kid's phone. Really.

You've re-invented the wheel but went with the square one this time.

Overly controlled flight area. Junk for flight controls. Limited to a mini game pvp match. Can't easily use a joystick (I got it to work with my Saitek Cyborg X, but this just really made me miss any number of QUALITY flight games more)

Yes, I can kill the other guys out there... no it isn't fun... simple maneuvers and having the computer do your Immelman's, Loops, and Rolls is just junk. You have reduced it to chase the arrow and click.

SWG (much as I hate SOE), WarThuder, Eve, so so many more out there with better concepts and execution. You can do better Bioware.
ODS? Who were you?

Rit

Shoraan
12.04.2013 , 03:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kahyman View Post
[...]I'm an experienced pilot, and experienced gamer and this flight experience belongs as a free ap on my kid's phone. Really.[...]
Apparently you are not an experienced software developer.

Regarding the joystick controls, I was quite sceptical when I read "mouse only", because I can remember playing Tie Fighter with a mouse before I had a joystick. That was awful!

Mouse controls in GSF? Maybe not optimal but much better than I had expected.

IncoherentVoice
12.04.2013 , 04:01 AM | #6
I really don't think this is trying to be what you think it is.
Never forget that it is light that casts shadows. BWONG.

Razot
12.04.2013 , 05:18 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Hitomo_x View Post
in case you dont know

this whole space.fight thing is a direct copy of http://star-conflict.com/

regards
Star Conflict is way better than this so please don't insult that game.

discbox
12.04.2013 , 05:31 AM | #8
Like the rest of SW:TOR it lacks of Star Wars atmosphere. Could also be Deep Space Nine or Space Above and Beyound.

But the Starfighters don't wear capes and giant shoulder pads to make WoW players feel home.

PoliteAssasin
12.04.2013 , 05:39 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Shoraan View Post
Apparently you are not an experienced software developer.

Regarding the joystick controls, I was quite sceptical when I read "mouse only", because I can remember playing Tie Fighter with a mouse before I had a joystick. That was awful!

Mouse controls in GSF? Maybe not optimal but much better than I had expected.
I love when people want to throw lines like this around as if they know what they're talking about. What the hell does being an "experienced software developer" have to do with this? Are you suggesting that the reason native joystick support isn't featured is due to a difficulty in implementing it? I hope that isn't what you were inferring with your comment, because that'd be the most erroneous statement I've ever heard in a good while.
Manager of Basic Skills For A Better Society. We hand out <basic skill stim>s in PVP to those in need. A donation of 1000 credits can help maintain the basic skills of 10 players for a day. Thousands of Republic PVPers are in dire need of these stims. Head to your local Pub Fleet and donate now!

Lord_Ravenhurst
12.04.2013 , 05:46 AM | #10
You have to view it as an extension of ground based PvP warzones.

GS is not a space sim