Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Galactic star fighter.. My review opinion and observations of it.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Galactic star fighter.. My review opinion and observations of it.

DAMossimo's Avatar


DAMossimo
12.04.2013 , 04:27 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
Apparently, there was a problem with the AI for PvE. I just hope they get it sorted and start releasing PvE content for GSF.
Yeah they have said that, but really - the turrets in PvP seem to have reasonable AI. They could have at least had you capture 3 nodes in the tutorial with an increasing number of turrets that actually fire back at you like they do in a match. I don't see how that would be too tough to pull off.

The tutorial could have been lengthened to include both maps as well, to give players a chance to fly around the battlefields and check out the layout. The Kuat Shipyards node seems to be especially problematic for new players - navigating in and around the infrastructure there. Allowing you to do that without someone chasing you would at least give a new player a chance to hone thier flying skills a bit before the pew pew starts.

Lord_Ravenhurst's Avatar


Lord_Ravenhurst
12.04.2013 , 04:36 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
Yeah they have said that, but really - the turrets in PvP seem to have reasonable AI.
Yeah but turrets are stationary.

3-D space pathing is hard to get right. I mean look at the ground pathing of mobs, you couldnīt say these are very smart.
Birds donīt fly 6-axis style but use the same ground pathing as the mobs. Look at Makeb if you throw down birds somewhere they are actually using the stairs to get back up to you.

Even a space sim like X-Rebirth doesnīt get the pathing right all the time. Ships bump into stations or get stuck somewhere.
The only games I remember which got the 3D pathing right in a convincing way, were the Wing Commander and X-Wing series.

Now imagine multiplayer space PvE with co-op or even mobs+PvP scenarios, those NPCs would need a really sophisticated artifical intelligence.

Cbaoth's Avatar


Cbaoth
12.04.2013 , 04:38 AM | #23
Lol..OP! Did you even bother to try the actual tutorial?? You know the one that teaches you how to actually fly and explains quite well how to do it?
I dont think you did. You just put your head in the sand and rushed in there because you thought you would be a natural at flying around didint you?

Well whatever you did, I think its a bit premature even bother doing a thread about how dissapointed you are, before you have actually tried to learn to play it.

Impatience, sloppiness and inexperience is your enemy here mate, not GS itself.
“Pain is weakness leaving the body”

DAMossimo's Avatar


DAMossimo
12.04.2013 , 04:45 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
Yeah but turrets are stationary.
But they are proven to be capable of shooting back - that's existing AI tech that could have been utilized in the tutorial. Better than nothing for training imo.

Lord_Ravenhurst's Avatar


Lord_Ravenhurst
12.04.2013 , 04:51 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
But they are proven to be capable of shooting back - that's existing AI tech that could have been utilized in the tutorial. Better than nothing for training imo.
As I explained above, making a turret shoot at some coordinates is not the difficult part.

Making a NPC ship move around in six axis 3D space, adjusting speed, deciding who to attack, avoiding 3D objects are the difficult parts. The AI in GSF is just a barebone, but you donīt need much more in a PvP warzone anyway.

I donīt see PVE happening anytime soon, and if it would happen it would certainly be something very different than warzones to queue up.
GS is just an extension of arenas/warzones.

What you want is Jump to Lightspeed (yeah I want that too)

Timarick's Avatar


Timarick
12.04.2013 , 04:54 AM | #26
my only complaint is the hair trigger hyper-sensitivity of the mouse which makes targeting a small nightmare. Otherwise this is a solid update and I hope to see more with the Starfighters in the future

Chowley's Avatar


Chowley
12.04.2013 , 05:38 AM | #27
To the OP despite saying you played ten games you kind of come across as someone who played two matches, didnt read about it much or put much effort into and then came on with a rather negative post. I was a bit flustered at the controls for the first two matches i played, starting to actually enjoy them now.
I dont know, to say that its boring or slow paced, that is the complete opposite experience I have had, maybe you are incredibly unlucky.
Also having played against a couple of good gunship pilots that thing is extremely effective.

I would say you might enjoy it more when a lot of people have had time to get used to this, it all might be a totally new experience for a lot of people right now (I mean flight games, twitch, domination game mode etc) so you could be ending up in matches with a bunch of headless chickens.

But I love this expansion, this is what I wanted on release of SWTOR and I am delighted its here now, I resubbed for this, would not have done so otherwise.

DAMossimo's Avatar


DAMossimo
12.04.2013 , 05:39 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
As I explained above, making a turret shoot at some coordinates is not the difficult part.

Making a NPC ship move around in six axis 3D space, adjusting speed, deciding who to attack, avoiding 3D objects are the difficult parts. The AI in GSF is just a barebone, but you donīt need much more in a PvP warzone anyway.

I donīt see PVE happening anytime soon, and if it would happen it would certainly be something very different than warzones to queue up.
GS is just an extension of arenas/warzones.

What you want is Jump to Lightspeed (yeah I want that too)
No, I don't want JTL - I never even played SWG. I'm not even saying we should have PvE missions - I'm just saying that they could have at least made a tutorial utilizing the existing AI tech available right now. The tutorial was obviously rushed and is insufficient - that is my only point.

Lu-Wan's Avatar


Lu-Wan
12.04.2013 , 05:40 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Cbaoth View Post
Lol..OP! Did you even bother to try the actual tutorial?? You know the one that teaches you how to actually fly and explains quite well how to do it?
I dont think you did. You just put your head in the sand and rushed in there because you thought you would be a natural at flying around didint you?

Well whatever you did, I think its a bit premature even bother doing a thread about how dissapointed you are, before you have actually tried to learn to play it.

Impatience, sloppiness and inexperience is your enemy here mate, not GS itself.
And BOOM! This here just explained why everyone who sucks at GS is going to complain. More specifically the mention of getting into a star-fighter and magically knowing how to play and be an amazing pilot. I had to remind myself that right away I wasn't going to be very good and that it's a learning process AND that I needed to discover a ship layout on my own that would work for me based on the classes available. You don't just pick up one of the ships and at any time and will magically be good with it. You must learn it. Embrace it and make it your own... hmm gonna have to quote myself once I put my review together.
What if Firefly and Star Wars had a kid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvmHI4Snjgc

dazednconfuzed's Avatar


dazednconfuzed
12.04.2013 , 07:19 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
No, I don't want JTL - I never even played SWG. I'm not even saying we should have PvE missions - I'm just saying that they could have at least made a tutorial utilizing the existing AI tech available right now. The tutorial was obviously rushed and is insufficient - that is my only point.
If you are asking for a tutorial with AI ships, then you are asking for a PvE version of one of the PvP maps. From that, it is a small step to providing actual PvE content for GSF. The problem is that they haven't figured out how to get the AI to move properly, so we can't have PvE, and because we can't have PvE, we can't have a tutorial with ships that move around and fire back at us.

The AI tech apparently isn't available right now. One of the devs blatantly admitted as much when they said GSF was PvP only. Frankly, without the AI to fly the fighters, they did the best tutorial they could.
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.