Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Galactic star fighter.. My review opinion and observations of it.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Galactic star fighter.. My review opinion and observations of it.

Tremed
12.04.2013 , 01:58 AM | #11
I was just saying that there are a lot of people making post qqing that they can't play the game well... The game that Just came out.... That they have never played before....

bastiondh
12.04.2013 , 02:38 AM | #12
A lot of the issues in the OP can be addressed with upgrading components i.e. turning thrusters to increase maneuverability. I reckon give it some time, see how upgrading affects your ship, then review again.

I personally am enjoying the hell out of this, and find the controls intuitive. But I've played as a pilot in BF3 and Planetside 2 and ARMA3 so it all kind of makes sense for me.

In regards to the point about kills, I love that the kill counts are low, it makes it satisfying to get them .

DarthSabreth
12.04.2013 , 02:48 AM | #13
OP I honestly do not feel as you do. A lot of SWTOR gamers like me have been wishing for this since release. I for one have been enjoying this xpack and have spent the entire day que for GS. These are some of the things I like about the Xpack

1. the wzs are huge and there is plenty of LOS opportunities making skill and challenge possible and a requirement.
2. its not a button smashing free for all.
3. low rez times, your not spending a lot of time behind a barrier.
4. its not a overly frustrating experience.
5. its not a CC fest.
6. NO BOLSTER, you put the time in and upgrade your ship.
7. its not discriminative about lvl, you can que up at lvl 1 and join with all lvl 1-55 so less que times, or in theory it should be short.
8. Not FOTOM apparent or dependant to win the match.
9. the possibilities of what they can add to it is endless, im thinking of figher vrs capital ship or ranked guild vrs guild capital ship / fighter vrs capital ship.

to be honest I think this is BWs best work to date and they did a fantastic job on this xpack.
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" Rip .

TrooperRCH
12.04.2013 , 03:04 AM | #14
I like how the OP suddenly disappeared after making a HUGE fuss about not being able to stop, then mocking people who told him to press X (the actual way to stop lol)

Classic/

Amyas
12.04.2013 , 03:16 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrzaskun View Post
No one here bashing anything, just people expressing their opinions of it and sharing whether they like it or not, that all.
Not many ship models, some take cartel coins, thumb pad or joy stick =( horrid controls.

Just canceled my sub.
Space should be more than a mini game! Star Wars not ground wars!

Jamus_Divinus
12.04.2013 , 03:19 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TrooperRCH View Post
I like how the OP suddenly disappeared after making a HUGE fuss about not being able to stop, then mocking people who told him to press X (the actual way to stop lol)

Classic/
Gave me a chuckle, lol.

The system could do with some improvements but it's still easily the most fun i've yet had in TOR.

My 2 pew pews.
Star Wars Galaxies - Bria Server - April 2005- December 2011
500,000,000+ Mounts:262/270 Pets:225/241
Achievement points:39775 Ships mastered: 24/24

OddballEasyEight
12.04.2013 , 03:46 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMerku View Post
You mean the tutorial that tells you only how to customize your ships and queue up? Or did you mean the little description that tells you to win the game you need to control the three points until you reach the goal amount of points first?

Because those instructions were exactly what were needed. (Yeah I'm being sarcastic.)
No, I mean the tutorial mission that you seemingly skipped and proceded to go straight into actual combat.
And the results were as expected because of that...
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

OddballEasyEight
12.04.2013 , 03:49 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrzaskun View Post
No one here bashing anything, just people expressing their opinions of it and sharing whether they like it or not, that all.
Well I would call it bashing when someone plays the game without reading the instructions and then comes to the forums complaining about things that they would have known if they just bothered to pay attention.
I mean, most of his complaints were actually centered around the "fact" that you couldn't actually stop the ship... which you can.
And the rest of the complaints seem to boil down to learning how to play. And I hate saying L2P to people, but the OP needs to practice some more so he understands what the roles of the different fighters are...
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

DAMossimo
12.04.2013 , 03:56 AM | #19
The tutorial certainly does need some polishing - it in no way prepares you for an actual match.

I think it was a mistake not to have at least a few PvE missions to allow people to train on and get used to the controls and gameplay before diving into the real-deal. This is essentially the equivalent of rolling a new toon and plunging into a warzone right after the character customization screen.

That said, many of the OP's points are simple misunderstandings due to the harsh learning curve that comes along with this content. I'll repost some tips I posted in another thread:
  • Turn down "camera look sensitivity" in preferences to a very low value (mine is at 2%)
  • Remap F1-F3 buttons to mouse buttons 3-5 (I put weapons power to mouse button 4, shields to button 5, and engines to button3) - F4 can just stay (it is essentially worthless to run around with balanced power)
  • Try to find someone who appears to "know what their doing" and follow them around as a wingman - you'll be less likely to be picked off than if you're by yourself

dazednconfuzed
12.04.2013 , 04:20 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
The tutorial certainly does need some polishing - it in no way prepares you for an actual match.

I think it was a mistake not to have at least a few PvE missions to allow people to train on and get used to the controls and gameplay before diving into the real-deal.
Apparently, there was a problem with the AI for PvE. I just hope they get it sorted and start releasing PvE content for GSF.

That said, without mob AI, that tutorial is probably as good as it's going to get.

Also, nice list. I agree with all points
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.