Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

These controls...

cmurfee
12.04.2013 , 09:35 AM | #21
I think it bears repeating, add stick, gamepad controller capability. Its all a matter of preference for those who like to fly, but what we like to use is a big deal. I knew pilots who could fly extremely well with mouse in SWG I prefer a gamepad or flightstick it is a big deal to those of use who like them trust me

Neoforcer
12.04.2013 , 10:08 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Alphasgimaone View Post
The whole mouse thing is a fundamental flaw in the game design IMO.

Instead of maneuvering the craft to align the reticle to the target, you have to align the reticle on target to maneuver the craft. Piloting and targeting should work interdependently. And the more I play it (and presumably get better at it), the more I hate it.
Have to agree and so did most of us beta testers that complained.

Tenacity
12.04.2013 , 05:55 PM | #23
Everyone asking for a joystick doesnt seem to understand just how hard it would be to aim. The mouse gives you precision, yes a joystick is better for actual flight but what we have is not actual flight.
THE LYNX LEGACY THE HARBINGER
Lynx --- Bastet --- Pakhet --- Leonen --- Maihos
Shock and Jawa Full Metal Jawa

Htorihpes-Zarr
12.04.2013 , 06:16 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
Everyone asking for a joystick doesn't seem to understand just how hard it would be to aim. The mouse gives you precision, yes a joystick is better for actual flight but what we have is not actual flight.
No, we understand just fine.
As it was not hard in this game either. And we need BOTH precision AND actual flight here, or should have.

Grimbot
12.04.2013 , 06:40 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Imposer View Post
The thing I found really annoying is how it seems to track your mouse even when it leaves the circle so it takes longer to bring it back to the center and throws you off. Hopefully they will fix this and make it so your mouse never leaves the circle.
This is my only gripe, really. If you don't manage your mouse the whole match, you naturally end up dragging the pointer way off to the side of the screen, which makes correcting from a turn super wonky.

Alphasgimaone
12.04.2013 , 06:40 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I disagree with splitting up the aiming and targeting. It seems to me that if you used, say, keyboard controls alone to fly, it would make flying much more complicated. You'd have to keep track of turning, rolling, throttle, pitching up and down, all with one hand, while aiming with the other. You'd be a one-handed piano player. I couldn't imagine a bigger nightmare.

Even when I play an FPS on my PC it doesn't work that way, usually looking and aiming are both done with the mouse. I wouldn't be able to play if they were independent. I'm not saying that what you propose is bad, it's just not for me and probably not for a lot of players.

It might be worth the time for developers to offer different control schemes for players, though, for people who don't like the current control set up. Something you can change in options.
Except this isn't a FPS.

And you wouldn't need to use the keyboard to fly except for yaw and strafing (which should really be the same thing, anyway) and throttle. The main flying part (pitch and roll) can still be handled with the mouse.

*This brings up another issue, I've addressed in that the mouse currently controls yaw and not roll. I've said before that I think people would be having a much better time if it was the other way around--it's naturally more intuitive that way.

As far as aiming, you shouldn't have to "aim" anything. When I say targeting and piloting should be kept separate, I mean to say you pilot. The targeting handles itself. You can select a target for lock, but blaster fire should just follow the nose of ship.

Imagine an old (either WWI or II) fighter. What you do in this game would be like moving the gun sight around to fly the airplane instead of flying the airplane to put the gun sight on your target. This is exacerbated by the fact that they implanted that silly target ring to emulate the need to account for the blaster fire arc. So you're not even flying at your target, your flying at where your target was or will be.

But this is not WW times, nor is it a WW game. But that doesn't mean the same basic principles can't apply. Modern jets use a "floating," computerized reticle for the cannons, where the computer calculates and adjusts for the centrifugal force. The reticle bounces around and moves as you move the plane, but the object is till to pilot the plane to get your target into the reticle--not move the reticle around to pilot the plane.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hitomo_x View Post
but it totally works like controlling airplanes
It works nothing like flying an aircraft. That's the problem.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
Everyone asking for a joystick doesnt seem to understand just how hard it would be to aim.
Again, had this been done right, there would be no need to "aim" at all.
SWTOR PvP: now running on the Ellipsis engine.

Fleurdelis
12.04.2013 , 06:41 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by cmurfee View Post
I think it bears repeating, add stick, gamepad controller capability. Its all a matter of preference for those who like to fly, but what we like to use is a big deal. I knew pilots who could fly extremely well with mouse in SWG I prefer a gamepad or flightstick it is a big deal to those of use who like them trust me
Exactly. This would be awesome to play with my xbox controller.

Gavin_Kelvar
12.04.2013 , 07:03 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Imposer View Post
The thing I found really annoying is how it seems to track your mouse even when it leaves the circle so it takes longer to bring it back to the center and throws you off. Hopefully they will fix this and make it so your mouse never leaves the circle.
This might explain why, after a tight turn to get on someone's tail, my cross hairs jump all around my fire arc when I come out of my turn and start trying to line up my shots. Regardless I'd like it if they added a mouse sensitivity toggle, and ideally joystick support.

Traesk
12.04.2013 , 08:02 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by cmurfee View Post
Agreed. There is no harm with having more choices. Those who love to fly with the mouse can still do that. I want my joystick however.

Joetwoshots
12.04.2013 , 09:56 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Alphasgimaone View Post
Except this isn't a FPS.

And you wouldn't need to use the keyboard to fly except for yaw and strafing (which should really be the same thing, anyway) and throttle. The main flying part (pitch and roll) can still be handled with the mouse.

*This brings up another issue, I've addressed in that the mouse currently controls yaw and not roll. I've said before that I think people would be having a much better time if it was the other way around--it's naturally more intuitive that way.

As far as aiming, you shouldn't have to "aim" anything. When I say targeting and piloting should be kept separate, I mean to say you pilot. The targeting handles itself. You can select a target for lock, but blaster fire should just follow the nose of ship.

Imagine an old (either WWI or II) fighter. What you do in this game would be like moving the gun sight around to fly the airplane instead of flying the airplane to put the gun sight on your target. This is exacerbated by the fact that they implanted that silly target ring to emulate the need to account for the blaster fire arc. So you're not even flying at your target, your flying at where your target was or will be.

But this is not WW times, nor is it a WW game. But that doesn't mean the same basic principles can't apply. Modern jets use a "floating," computerized reticle for the cannons, where the computer calculates and adjusts for the centrifugal force. The reticle bounces around and moves as you move the plane, but the object is till to pilot the plane to get your target into the reticle--not move the reticle around to pilot the plane.

It works nothing like flying an aircraft. That's the problem.

Again, had this been done right, there would be no need to "aim" at all.

Totally agreeed. Current flight controls dont have anything to do with flying, its just moving your guns to aim at a reticle while youre ship zeroes on it. It just feels wrong. And if i am not wrong, except for starships with man-gunned turrets, there was no system like that in ANY SW movie/game.
It would be soo great if we were allowed joy/gamepad support.