Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

These controls...

Shinodan
12.04.2013 , 12:22 AM | #11
The movement controls are really good, its what I expected it to be.

The thing I find tricky is the aiming. I can't get my head around it.
There is no point looking at this signature

Logannx
12.04.2013 , 01:10 AM | #12
The controls are the dealbreaker for me. So frustrated with the sensitivity and lack of joystick option. Played the day with it and just couldn't get used to it.

GizmoKodiak
12.04.2013 , 01:31 AM | #13
I'm kinda on the edge with these controls. The expansion is AWESOME though. They remind of freelancer, but in that game they were better iirc. They are a tad sensitive, which is all right, I can get used to that. But the fact that the mouse reticle gets tracked outside the circle really does throw you off, cause you have to pull it back into the circle. Dunno why they did that, it seems counter intuitive. Also, any sort of controller support would be PERFECT. Either with joystick or gamepad (like 360). But I am sure all this will be sorted out in the coming months. Still love it though.
....Aaaand Scene. *fist pump*

Polly_Pocket
12.04.2013 , 01:47 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Alphasgimaone View Post
The whole mouse thing is a fundamental flaw in the game design IMO.

Instead of maneuvering the craft to align the reticle to the target, you have to align the reticle on target to maneuver the craft. Piloting and targeting should work interdependently. And the more I play it (and presumably get better at it), the more I hate it.
This.

Atamasama
12.04.2013 , 02:04 AM | #15
I disagree with splitting up the aiming and targeting. It seems to me that if you used, say, keyboard controls alone to fly, it would make flying much more complicated. You'd have to keep track of turning, rolling, throttle, pitching up and down, all with one hand, while aiming with the other. You'd be a one-handed piano player. I couldn't imagine a bigger nightmare.

Even when I play an FPS on my PC it doesn't work that way, usually looking and aiming are both done with the mouse. I wouldn't be able to play if they were independent. I'm not saying that what you propose is bad, it's just not for me and probably not for a lot of players.

It might be worth the time for developers to offer different control schemes for players, though, for people who don't like the current control set up. Something you can change in options.
⋐‖║╿╿╿╿▀▀‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾)

Hitomo_x
12.04.2013 , 02:20 AM | #16
the controls are really better then one could expect

but it totally works like controlling airplanes, wich is okay because its exactly how you would expect it from seeing it in the movies ... in the end the only thing that matters is if the system is able to provide the player
with this dog-fight feeling and thats working pretty well

the fact the mouse can leave the inner aiming circle is one aspect of skill this streamlined
system has left

if you have different weapons like in the Bomber you notice the circle is changing size according
to the firing angle of the weapon, wich is even smaller for the lock-on of the rockets,
so keeping your mouse steady in the middle of the screen determines
your success for a great part

the sensetivity is a problem some how, I play on 1% mouse sensetivity normaly in this game,
but even with these setting I have to use a DPI switch on my mouse to turn it down
even further to make the space.fights playable for me

regards

chuixupu
12.04.2013 , 03:21 AM | #17
I haven't noticed any major mouse sensitivity. Though as someone said, try different ships. Scout is definitely the trickiest to maneuver.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

AlrikFassbauer
12.04.2013 , 05:44 AM | #18
Far too high mouse sensitivity. This way I'd be incredibly fast on my desktop, if I had the same mouse sensitivity applied to it ...

dermax
12.04.2013 , 09:27 AM | #19
I'd just like to add my voice to those that would like the ability to change the sensitivity on the mouse, if nothing else. Right now it has such a hair trigger that the slightest mouse movement is a matter of virtual life and death. I generally play a scout (a complete departure from the sniper that I play in every other game like this, but I missed the gunship by a couple days). I was suprised by how well I actually do. Always in the middle of the pack, I'm not a boss, but I don't truly suck either. I play the scout by zooming in fast, firing, and then pulling out quickly; using the terrain to pull off moves that, when they work, are quiet sweet. The key point is *when they work*.

Now I'll take half the blame; when you get hit it's human nature to try to get away quickly... that leads to jerky mouse movements. On too many occasions, however, the difference between zooming past that asteroid and flipping into an ungodly spin that ends by slamming into said asteroid is a centimeter of mouse movement. I can understand that if a game is built around mouse and keyboard, joystick support might be difficult to do (although I support adding it for the grognards), but I can't see a single reason why mouse sensitivity isn't an option.

-KeggER-
12.04.2013 , 09:29 AM | #20
The physics have potential.. But I have to agree with the OP

They need to enable flight stick compatibility and button customization for this to keep my interest
Keggr - Pot5 [Def Squad] Imperial GSF Pilot / BH

PEW PEW to KILL