Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do people hate or love Galactic Starfighter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Do people hate or love Galactic Starfighter?

cashogy_reborn
12.03.2013 , 09:55 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DakSomtaaw View Post
What I hate?

Turn fights. Its really really easy to get stuck in them without help.
This is a big problem. TTK is way too long when you get into a turn-fight. Ive stopped trying to do them; if I need more than 2-3 passes I will just boost away and go after another target/lure my opponent into a position where I have the advantage for a head-on barrage
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Imposer
12.03.2013 , 09:57 PM | #22
I really like it. Played twice, won once and lost once. My only problem with it is how it tracks your mouse outside of teh circle. Other than that great expansion.
Jedi: You cannot hurt me as long as I have the power of the force

Bounty hunter launches heat seaking missile: Wanna Bet?

Moontayle
12.03.2013 , 10:06 PM | #23
Love it.

It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it's certainly a wonderful addition to the game, made even more so by the fact that it's a game unto itself. It's also free. I can live with it being free.

The mouse sensitivity issue is something that needs taking care of, but by and large I'm quite happy with the way things currently are, so long as they don't rest on their laurels. I already know that two maps aren't going to cut it.
Triggle - Sith Assassin - Ebon Hawk
My books - Spiral X | White Rock

Rotaruc
12.03.2013 , 10:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Maquaii View Post
Right now i suck so i hate it, but i want to love it, so i keep trying like a masochist.
this^^^ Is the reason why a lot of people do not like it. Because they are not good at it. Look at what people are saying- "its boring. Waste of time" "i hate the controls" .... They think its boring and the controls suck because they arent good at it. Im not the best pilot but i still had fun blasting away... Some people even hate it because it isnt p2w. They cant buy upgrades with cartel coins thats why. tell me im wrong

And "Turn fights" is not an issue. It may be seen as an issue by the players point of view because they don't know how to break if and use strategy to defeat their opponent. there is nothing that the Devs can do to fix your 1v1 fights. Its all uo to you.

Alphasgimaone
12.03.2013 , 10:09 PM | #25
I love everything about it except the controls.

They're just not good: cumbersome, counter-intuitive, what ever other words have been thrown out there to describe them. I've spent hours mucking about in the tutorial just flying around trying to get better. It's helped, but they're just so clunky that it only goes so far. And this coming from someone who's played just about every space/flight arcade style fighter ever made--far and away my favorite genre of videogame. I'd rank the controls a C-.

The matches themselves, the style, presentation, the depth of the customization I'd all give a solid A.
SWTOR PvP: now running on the Ellipsis engine.

BrianDavion
12.03.2013 , 10:37 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Middle. The fun is heavily distorted by faction imbalance here.
Even although people on my server tell me that there just isn't any faction imbalance, I can tell you that out of 15 games I (as a Republic player) have won 3 or 4. The others were won by the imperial faction to 3/4 with all 3 sattelites captured.
eh the republic's been winning more then it's been losing on my server, YMMV

ptwonline
12.03.2013 , 10:49 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DakSomtaaw View Post
Turn fights. Its really really easy to get stuck in them without help.
This is one reason why a lot of people would rather have PvE space missions than PvP, since you can design PvE levels and AI differently to avoid this.

Fortunately, there are enough ships and a small enough area of combat to ensure that it is rarely a 1-on-1 protracted fight. There are also other ways you can try to fool your opponent in a turn fight (using obstacles, varying speeds/turn rates, etc)

Xeta
12.03.2013 , 10:52 PM | #28
Love it. Took a few games to get into the controls, but I think it's a pretty good mix of Jump to Lightspeed and Battlefront 2.
Xeta - Bounty Hunter, Mercenary, Assassin, Rancor Handler, etc.
Formerly Flurry (SWG), currently Begeren Colony

<Twin Sun Mercenaries>

Cabod
12.03.2013 , 11:15 PM | #29
The short answer to the question, hate it.

I was really hoping that Bioware had learned from the travesty of what they had done thus far and went back and had a look at successful Star War space combat games. They did not. Instead they produced something that is worse, if that is even possible, then the original space content.

Plus side, no fly by rail.

Minus side, controls are as bad or worse then the original content. You have to mess with your mouse settings just to make the ships flyable. Your still stuck in third person mode. These combine to make it feel like your directing a gun-turret, not flying in a space battle. The ships also fly like mobile gun- turret, does not mater the ship type. The space you have to work in is a rather thin. You can’t go very far up or down. For PVP content it may be long enough but gives you the feeling of a cramped space that you can move slowly thru. The crew component feels “forced” as these should be one or two man fighters, not something it takes several people to fly. The scale of the background objects feels off, but that is true of the entire game. Short form, this feels like capital ship battles with little guns and fragile hauls.

Recommendations are the same as the original. Enable joystick controls, give a first person cockpit view, open up the environment, and fix the physics so that the ships fly more realistic. Have a look at the X-Wing series of games as well as Star Wars galaxies. You need a big PVE environment, if for no other reason to give the players a chance to learn how to fly and how the different ships work.

Lightrider
12.03.2013 , 11:16 PM | #30
Played a few rounds this evening and had fun with it. Seems like a very solid addition to the game, imo.