Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Incentive for Galactic Starfighters to *not* upgrade their ship?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Incentive for Galactic Starfighters to *not* upgrade their ship?

Vis-Tecum
12.02.2013 , 08:02 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Mork_M View Post
Uh. I am pretty sure my stock fighter was playing against Dulfy and her fully upgraded Gunship a few times.

Don't rely on Matchmaking. Upgrade your ship.
though I fully agree with you because no systems ever work perfectly

if I remember correctly the match making system was not used in beta or the pts only talked about
Just go riding right by me on the crest of the new wave

ImpactHound
12.02.2013 , 08:08 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
You're right, you're not forced to upgrade your ship. The system as it's designed will put you in groups with people with similarly upgraded ships, should you choose to upgrade.

The reason being very simple: Players with upgraded ships will have an unfair advantage against those who are just starting GS.

They are literally ensuring that players with superior ships aren't preying upon those with starter ships. This is not the case in many MMOs' PVP scene where starter players are the fodder for arena-geared players. I'm thinking of a game in particular and it rhymes with 'cow'.
Or, you know, this game's normal PVP at 55.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mork_M View Post
Uh. I am pretty sure my stock fighter was playing against Dulfy and her fully upgraded Gunship a few times.

Don't rely on Matchmaking. Upgrade your ship.
She was a dedicated Scout ship when I played against her. Not saying she does, but she was a pretty skilled pilot at high speeds. I can't imagine playing enough GS on test to "fully" upgrade a gunship though, unless unlocks and upgrades were free in the closed environment.

LordArtemis
12.02.2013 , 10:18 AM | #23
There are two ways to look at this...what current players probably want in majority and what would be best for the game (arguable naturally).

I have an opinion on both.

What players likely want: A system where all players are matched together at random, pitting fully geared players against new ones. This would provide a fun factor with instant reward for those that take the time to fully gear their ships.

What is likely best for the game: A system that places players in matched combat that are essentially equal in gear...IE, someone that is new with ungeared fighters fights with players that are similarly ungeared. Fully geared players are matched.

The reason I feel this is best for the game overall is because GS already has enough strikes against it for the overall public...lack of joystick control, lack of fixed reticule, no "on foot" combat like in BF2. Having a proper matchmaking system would prevent new players from getting shut out of the feature by wildly superior players, making it much more approachable by the masses.

The idea IMO is that this feature needs widespread casual support to provide the maximum ROI and the best chance for it to grow.

Cordarn
12.02.2013 , 10:46 AM | #24
Im pretty sure he is asking what the point is to upgrade your ship since you'll never get an edge since you're always gonna be put in a match with people with the same upgrades.
What do you mean they shot a torpedo into the core?!?

ImpactHound
12.02.2013 , 11:20 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Cordarn View Post
Im pretty sure he is asking what the point is to upgrade your ship since you'll never get an edge since you're always gonna be put in a match with people with the same upgrades.
Even if people have everything "upgraded," your loadouts will likely be different based on the weapons and playstyles you prefer.

caronome
12.02.2013 , 01:49 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Cordarn View Post
Yes, I was apparently unsuccessful at explaining it well enough.

I suspect there are many who would not grind for full Obroan gear if it could only be used in full Obroan gear matches. Many(most) on forums advocate skill >>>>> gear. Yet I think GW2 design where your efforts/grind did not provide a combat bonus were not well received.

No biggie; in a few hours we will be playing not speculating.

JimG
12.02.2013 , 02:04 PM | #27
So they shouldn't match up players based on quality of ship? That would be like putting 55s into warzones with level 15s. I'm missing the problem here. Theoretically, people who PVP want to beat others and prove they are better than everyone. Sticking back with the entry-level fighter against noobs won't really accomplish that. But if someone wanted to sit with an entry-level fighter and cherry pick noobs, that's not going to accomplish much for them either. BW is lowering the credit rewards from the PTS and there are plenty of easy ways to farm credits anyway. Those people would be earning a lot of rewards to upgrade their ship.....which doesn't really help them if they just want to stay at the entry-level fighter.