Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Incentive for Galactic Starfighters to *not* upgrade their ship?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Incentive for Galactic Starfighters to *not* upgrade their ship?

caronome
12.01.2013 , 12:52 PM | #1
On a podcast the beta players said BW said that to make things fair, the matchmaking would group people with similar ship upgrades. Is this true??? ( Me thinking "because everything IRL is fair" is probably me just being old and grumpy.)

Obviously the 1337 players are driven by their own desires and insecurities. But for the silent majority, then it seems like a real disincentive to get a ship upgrade. You spend your time to grind up the upgrade, to play against better players with the same ship as you. Why not just play your unupgraded ship against like players?

At the least, BW's design seems to reward waiting until you get the 200k SR then fully upgrade your ship.

Upon reflection, I guess it is a good thing for players that BW designed a system where there is little/no/negative reward for grinding. But it seems very unlike an MMO.

Pingonaut
12.01.2013 , 12:56 PM | #2
I'm really not understanding the problem. You don't like that players can upgrade their ships? What are people supposed to work for?

AlrikFassbauer
12.01.2013 , 01:01 PM | #3
I guess he mean s it the other way round : Standard, stock basic fighters are soon going to die out, because everyone just upgrades.

At one point, not upgraded starfightersmight be consifered "farming fodder", so to say.
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

Mehter
12.01.2013 , 01:05 PM | #4
I didn't know anyone said 1337 anymore.

I also didn't know wanting to progress in a game was fueled by ones insecurities.

Infernixx
12.01.2013 , 01:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by caronome View Post
On a podcast the beta players said BW said that to make things fair, the matchmaking would group people with similar ship upgrades. Is this true??? ( Me thinking "because everything IRL is fair" is probably me just being old and grumpy.)

Obviously the 1337 players are driven by their own desires and insecurities. But for the silent majority, then it seems like a real disincentive to get a ship upgrade. You spend your time to grind up the upgrade, to play against better players with the same ship as you. Why not just play your unupgraded ship against like players?

At the least, BW's design seems to reward waiting until you get the 200k SR then fully upgrade your ship.

Upon reflection, I guess it is a good thing for players that BW designed a system where there is little/no/negative reward for grinding. But it seems very unlike an MMO.
You're right, you're not forced to upgrade your ship. The system as it's designed will put you in groups with people with similarly upgraded ships, should you choose to upgrade.

The reason being very simple: Players with upgraded ships will have an unfair advantage against those who are just starting GS.

They are literally ensuring that players with superior ships aren't preying upon those with starter ships. This is not the case in many MMOs' PVP scene where starter players are the fodder for arena-geared players. I'm thinking of a game in particular and it rhymes with 'cow'.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

aeterno
12.01.2013 , 02:53 PM | #6
Even IF they could get matchmaking like that to genuinely work it's going to be irrelevant once the initial rush is over and you're grateful to get 24 people for a match at any given point.

LordArtemis
12.01.2013 , 03:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
You're right, you're not forced to upgrade your ship. The system as it's designed will put you in groups with people with similarly upgraded ships, should you choose to upgrade.

The reason being very simple: Players with upgraded ships will have an unfair advantage against those who are just starting GS.

They are literally ensuring that players with superior ships aren't preying upon those with starter ships. This is not the case in many MMOs' PVP scene where starter players are the fodder for arena-geared players. I'm thinking of a game in particular and it rhymes with 'cow'.
This, and I would say, if they do this, this is one of the smartest moves they have made. It is a common complaint across the net about "gear based" instead of "skill based" in GS.

This would level the field and you would rely on your skill, just as it should be IMO.

FrogSkin
12.01.2013 , 05:46 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
This, and I would say, if they do this, this is one of the smartest moves they have made. It is a common complaint across the net about "gear based" instead of "skill based" in GS.

This would level the field and you would rely on your skill, just as it should be IMO.
In theory it would, unfortunately after the initial rush is over and the number of players playing GS have thinned, newly minted ships will be fighting against Ace's and their fully modded ships.

How long until we see bolster in GS?????

SWTOR without cross server queuing does not have the player base for such lofty ideals as this I'm afraid.
Imaging a whole bunch of character names and levels here...,

Grayseven
12.01.2013 , 07:16 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by FrogSkin View Post
In theory it would, unfortunately after the initial rush is over and the number of players playing GS have thinned, newly minted ships will be fighting against Ace's and their fully modded ships.

How long until we see bolster in GS?????

SWTOR without cross server queuing does not have the player base for such lofty ideals as this I'm afraid.
No, they won't. The matchmaking system won't let them. Not to mention the fact that Ship req is earned and spent on individual ships so if players want different ship types they will at some point have to start with a fresh ship. Of course, they will have skill and experience over a new player...

I doubt we will see much thinning but if we do it'll simply mean longer queue pops and not a top tier ship flying amok amongst starter ships.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

caronome
12.01.2013 , 07:47 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Pingonaut View Post
I'm really not understanding the problem. You don't like that players can upgrade their ships? What are people supposed to work for?
The point was that people who don't upgrade their ship will, if I understand the matchmaking, have a slight advantage over the people who do. I was expecting that efforts spent upgrading would provide an advantage - not too big to unbalance things or too small so the MMO audience thinks they are not being rewarded for the grind.

It's not a big deal; it just struck me as curious for an MMO.