Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developing a Level for Galactic Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developing a Level for Galactic Starfighter
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

idnewton
11.27.2013 , 02:18 PM | #11
I think the article was necessary not just to show people how they are made, but to remind players that... they actually have to be made. It's not some five-minute endeavor that they choose not to take.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL +55s: 24
ETERNAL WARRIOR CHEEVO POINTS: +31,000
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
Negative language gets you disqualified? Oh I'm sorry, please wait while I contact your local 'safe space'

mwissie
11.27.2013 , 03:49 PM | #12
Lol, the stuff he mentioned about one of the first pics, those lines never being visible to client...
I've seen something like that in game, but with even less art...
How I got it? I basically crashed my videocard
How I did that? No idea, but it might be a bad idea to let your browser spawn and animate about 100.000+ icons EVERY SECOND (animating for about 20 sec, so that's 2.000.000+ icons being animated) while gaming on your other monitor xD
Numendar - PvP Sage healer
Numinum - NiM raiding TK Sage
<whatever>

Rickadin
11.27.2013 , 05:23 PM | #13
Asteroid field!

It would be awesome if most of the asteroids (the small ones) were moving in randomly so the map is constantly evolving and they would prove challenging for some pilots too focused on a target (remember episode V asteroid chase?)

Felioats
11.27.2013 , 05:23 PM | #14
You were originally designing (and even previewed) the shipyards for the PvE space game.

*shakes tiny fist*
>

Zantergog
11.27.2013 , 06:38 PM | #15
wow moving asteroids would be a great idea - or even a space slug hazard - difficult to balance the teams though - nice insight into the development and I did play the space shipyard map once - very atmospheric great article!

PowerPure
11.27.2013 , 08:03 PM | #16
I would like to see more posts like this. Very interesting and makes the future look bright.

Dragen
11.27.2013 , 11:32 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Zantergog View Post
wow moving asteroids would be a great idea - or even a space slug hazard - difficult to balance the teams though - nice insight into the development and I did play the space shipyard map once - very atmospheric great article!
Very well said by Zantergog

Asteroid field!

"It would be awesome if most of the asteroids (the small ones) were moving in randomly so the map is constantly evolving and they would prove challenging for some pilots too focused on a target (remember episode V asteroid chase?)" <--- Also very well said by Rickadin

Great that u Bioware make GS happen and it should've been out year ago and now maybe some new planet stuff like or under way. Kashyyk,Endor etc. Kashyyk in golden Kotor 1 <3 Been nice to be a subscriber from launch and kept it on even when went on for a break cause no need to cancel it as wanna support Sw Mmo "beautiful Swtor"

- Terry -
http://raptr.com/badge/appendix/fs_pc.png " “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the Knife - Chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.' - From "Collected Sayings of Maud'Dib'' by the Princess Irulan”

Banza
11.28.2013 , 02:53 AM | #18
I really liked the over all feel of Lost Shipyards, the map has plenty of spots to make tricky maneuvers. I can't count how many times I've heard ships blowing up behind me because it wasn't expecting that concrete wall after a sharp turn. As for Kuat Mesas, the construction site around B is fun but C and A lacks cover. It's nice but I prefer Lost Shipyards. Looks are 5/5.

I'm really hoping to see a map like the battle above coruscant in episode III or a map with skyscrapers maybe on corellia.
Not many knows about what lies in the shadow of a sun light monkey army. There's actually a shadow monkey army.

idnewton
11.28.2013 , 03:05 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Banza View Post
I'm really hoping to see a map like the battle above coruscant in episode III or a map with skyscrapers maybe on corellia.
This.

Deep space battles like the one on the PTS are all well and good, but they aren't nearly as cool or fun to play as atmospheric 'levels' like the kuat mesas one. I'd love to see many different atmospheric maps. A great opportunity to introduce Kashyyyk as well. The trees are hundreds of meters tall. Plenty of freedom from a dev perspective, including the ability to fog the map floor like you did on kuat. I'd love to see a volcanic world like Oricon with a volcano that spirts lava now and again, incinerating any ships in the blast. Nar Shaddaa would be amazing, coruscant too. Corellia... etc.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL +55s: 24
ETERNAL WARRIOR CHEEVO POINTS: +31,000
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
Negative language gets you disqualified? Oh I'm sorry, please wait while I contact your local 'safe space'

AlrikFassbauer
11.28.2013 , 07:36 AM | #20
Nice article, thank you.

Now, what about a space field which is almost 100 % like the very first PvE space mission munis its ships there ?
Or, to be more specific, I'd like to see a map where actual battle between giant starships takes place.
No need to put AI-driven starfighters into that, but that'd add even more excitement ! ( And problems for the engine. )
<S-key to victory> Because flying with s-foils is more fun.

We are the result of our experiences.